Fluid intake

Discussion in 'Thomas Laybourn Forum' started by Cheung, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Thomas,

This is an extension of the sweating thread:rolleyes: :)

Given that your perspire a lot, could you give us an idea of your typical fluid intake during a day's training? And also the timing e.g. before the training, during the training and after the training.

What sort of fluids are you taking?

How does this differ during tournaments?

Do you purposely drink a lot, say 2 hours before a match, then have a little extra about 10 minutes before the match starts?

Have you calculated how much fluid you might need and purposely drink that amount to replace it, or do you just go by on how thirsty you feel?

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Enough fluid intake is essential for our body to rehydrate during the games. But most people usually drinks alot during and after games. We have to make it a habit to drink alot of water before games so you do not over drink during and after games.

What kind of fluids do you take? Drink Fluids that contains electrolytes since we discharge those electrolytes from our body during sports.

Unfortunately, it can be difficult (and often impossible) to keep up with heavy sweat losses by drinking fluids during training and competition. Consequently, rehydration after exercise often presents the athlete with a challenge as well - particularly if the athlete must compete again soon, such as during a badminton tournament. Importantly, to completely rehydrate after exercise, one must ingest more fluid (i.e., ~150%) than what is lost as sweat (as indicated by loss of body weight during exercise) because some fluid continues to be lost through urine formation during the rehydration period .However, as emphasized below, effective and safe rehydration is not always managed by simply drinking a lot of water. Sodium must be replaced as well.

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Ants, check out Cheung's profile, and you will realize that he knows (and has to know) all this in his sleep. ;)

I think he wanted to know how Thomas does.

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Heheh.. thanks Mag. I don't check on people's profile. :)

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    No problems:), I was just wondering if TL has an individualised regime.

I've lost 4lb in weight after sessions (also having consumed 1.5 litres in the session) - :rolleyes: the amount of extra fluid I had to drink to make it up afterwards was incredible 4lbs=nearly 2kg, = nearly 2 litres

6. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    While we're waiting on Thomas to reply, can I check with Cheung if my consumption is safe/advisable? I drink about 500ml of mineral water 90mins before playing, two 500ml bottles of Powerade (glucose drink) during a 3hr session and then almost 2ltrs of mineral water in the 2-3hrs after playing. I heard that the recommended fluid intake was c. 1.5-2ltrs per day; is my consumption excessive and can this be safe on the kidneys? Well, I suppose it must be if the Irish can regularly drink ten pints of guinness in the course of an evening.

While water helps me to concentrate, I always avoid drinking it during games, as it impairs my physical performance.

7. Laybourn

Laybourn Regular Member

Sorry guys that i haven`t answered yet but i will be back with some answers when i`m done playing here in Hong Kong.

TLay

8. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    I find the new Powerade drink top stuff

9. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    For me it has to be the original Gatorade, Orange or the red one

10. Laybourn

Laybourn Regular Member

Hi

It´s a good questiuon because everybody has differnet needs and some sweat more than others. I sweat alot so i must drink alot during the match. In a hall with aircon i drink about 1.5-2 litres during a match. When there is really hot in the hall a can drink up to 3.5-4 litres during a match. I now it sounds like alot but if the match is a tough one i really really sweat alot.

In Europe we have a brand thats called Maxim who produces sugar supply for your normal drinking water, and thats almost what everybody uses. Offcourse sometimes we drink the sportsdrink thats free for the players (Gatorade etc.), or maybe buy something in the shops.

I think when we practise in the morning in Asia and maybe in the night, i have been drinking up to 10 litres per day. I always look at my urine because if it is yellow i have to drink more, and if it is white then it´s okay. It´s a good rule to remember because it´s never wrong.

I drink about 2 litres before a match, but i don´t have speciel rules on when i have to drink it, i just start drinking a few hours before the match.

Hope maybe that gave an idea on how much, when and what i´m drinking othervise just ask again.

Thomas