User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Best racquet for beginner-intermediate who knows the basics?

I know the basics of playing badminton and have been playing for about 3 months, but I still am one of the worst players at the gym I go to. I don't have my own racquet yet, as I have just been borrowing the gym's racquet. I would like to buy my own one

I know Yonex is the best brand, but I don't know where to start to buy a new racquet. Most of the shops in my area also don't sell any racquets cheaper than $100. Should I expect to pay at least $100? Or is it better to buy it online? But if I buy it online, I don't get a chance to feel the racquet before buying it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as a beginner and if you are looking for a less expensive racket, you may consider other brands. The more expensive racket is normally for more skillful players.

as for what racket to buy, you may either
    1) buy the same model/brand which you feel most comfortable with playing at the gym
    2) ask your friends who are playing with you to recommend based on your skill level and type of game play
    3) ask for recommendations here but you have to provide info like skill level, type of game play, budget, etc
    4) do some research in this forum or other badminton blogs

getting an expensive yonex racket at your level might not be worthwhile as you are unlikely to make full use of its capabilities, or unable to wield it due to lack of skill. but one thing my friend did so is, it would motivate you to work even harder so that you will one day use this weapon to win matches.

by the way, just my opinion, as i'm also a beginner.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not so much a matter of not being able to 'wield' an expensive racket. You are a grown man, and these are only pieces of lightweight carbon, after all.

The real question is whether you would get anything more out of an super-expensive racket vs a mid-range racket. Probably not in any way that justifies the extra money. Especially considering that the lifespan of a carbon racket, when playing amongst beginners, is very short.

Buying a mid-range Yonex, Victor, Babolat, Carleton, etc is a good option if you find one that you like. You are bang on that you should feel your potential purchase in your hand before you buy. That's why it's best to try out your friends' rackets and get a good idea of what suits you.

Good luck!

PS If you've been only playing 3 months, how come your join date is May 2013?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always say this to people who are considering mid range rackets from high end brands.

You're better off buying a high end racket from a lower end brand.

For example, Apacs high end racket costs much less than victor or yonex high end rackets. But still, the quality of Apacs high end racket is still very good.

The big brands(Yonex, Adidas, Victor, Gosen) rackets cost over average just because they have their logo, name written on the racket.

So why not look for some brands that can give good quality products with reasonable prices?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The high end rackets of well-known brands are typically not suitable for beginners in my experience. Even if you could wield it, you will have a very tough time hitting accurately due to other design issues (e.g. smaller head).

Anyway, you have been borrowing your gym's rackets - which means you might have tried out various models? You probably have a favourite one after using a few different rackets. I would recommend buying that one since you like it and likely you like it because you can hit well with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say to look at Apacs line of rackets, they have really good and cheap beginners models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can someone plz assist by explaining the difference between li ning n90 n80 n77

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can someone assist by explaining difference between nanoray and voltric series of yonex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which is the cheapest most authentic site to buy rackets