Overhead shot and Biceps tendinitis

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by abeku, Jan 20, 2013.

1. abeku

abeku Regular Member

Student
    I have been playing badminton for nearly 25 years and recently I have started developing
    pain in my biceps. The pain gets really bad to the point where I have to stop playing and
    need to recover for a day before I can play again. From what I have read and seen it
    looks like I have developed biceps tendinitis. "Long head of biceps tendinitis is an
    inflammation or irritation of the upper biceps tendon. This strong, cord-like structure connects the upper end of the biceps muscle to the bones in the shoulder." Repetitive
    overhead motions can lead to this problem.

Here is a link to a video: [video=youtube;UsgiL1C2i6c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsgiL1C2i6c[/video]

I may follow some of the tips in this body building forum

Have any of you experienced the same problem? Any tips to help relieve the pain? Have
    braces worked?

Thanks!

2. ein_roboter

ein_roboter Regular Member

Student
    Yes I definitely had some problems. In the video, you can see the same exercise I did: bend forwards, grab a dumbbell with the arm you're having problems with (use the other hand to support yourself) and make circular/8-shaped movements with your arm. I was a bit masochistic, because I definitely loved this exercise! It felt like such a relief! Next to that; getting rest is the best medicine unfortunately. The steroid injections really have to be the last solution, as they can really mess up your muscle memory for playing badminton. I also drank a lot of protein shakes which helped recovering the muscles.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

4. coryskyes

coryskyes New Member

CFO
    yeah,i think so,I also drank a lot of protein shakes which helped recovering the muscles.good info to me [​IMG]

5. NOLE.LUCKY

NOLE.LUCKY Regular Member

Does this pain occur due to bad technique? I have this pain for some time now. I did a slo-mo of my forehand clear and felt the pain when i would bring my elbow forward to start the motion and during the pronation. Am i doing something wrong here?

6. vatovey

vatovey Regular Member

IT Technician / Badminton Stringer
    It maybe worth checking the tension of your rackets, if they are strung tight (ie: 26lbs or above), the shock produced from the lack of movement in the string bed when hitting shuttles goes down the arm, and over time can cause tendon pain, I get golfers elbow from when my rackets are strung at 27lbs or above, am down to 24lbs down and don't have any problems.

But each persons body/reaction will be different, so 27lbs might be my threshold, others will be different.

7. Makkem_1

Makkem_1 Regular Member

Hi, I am a keen player, playing university badminton for a Midlands university, but for the past 2 years have been unable to play because of biceps tendonitis. I had a decent game anchored by a seriously big smash, which obviously i can't even think about doing at the moment without wincing!!!

I stopped playing because the pain was so bad and I was tensing up and not able to execute my shots anyway. I realised i was sort of learning bad technique while trying to play around it and i guess after 2 years, it's not going to heal of its own accord ...

So my questions are - Do you know any professional players who've got past this particular injury, (and how?)

How do you encourage it to heal? Any thoughts welcome. :)

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Please provide a picture and exact location of the pain so that we can help better.

9. Makkem_1

Makkem_1 Regular Member

There's not a significant degree of swelling nor the 'knot' of coiled tendon near the elbow. The tissue feels 'twisted' away from where it lies for my other arm (this was particularly true early in the course of having the injury.)

The pain isn't very localised, i feel a pain from an inch or so below the shoulder to the elbow, and sometimes a 'numbness' in the palm of my hand, which tingles like a mild electric shock. Hope that helps.