C2 Badminton Club - 1300 Rodick Rd, Markham

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by Limited328, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Limited328

Limited328 Regular Member

Had the pleasure of playing today at their open house from 5-7pm today. Environment, lighting, height. They have a really spacious lobby...I really like that. Not many places provide enough lobby spaces for guests or visitors waiting for friends or family to finish their game.
    I certainly hope there's a group rate for annual membership, as I just recently signed with Su's badminton.
    Here's hoping.

Attached Files:

2. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    are the court mats cushioned or did they get cheap like flying dragon and mount the mats directly on concrete?

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have the same reaction. looks great, but what, if any, padding is beneath the mat?

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    annual membership fee of $95?!?!

annual? that's way way way cheap!

5. Limited328

It looks like it was directly on concrete. I didn't really notice because this was the day after a three hour non-stop session at su's, and my big toe was already a little in pain.
    @Kwun, are you trolling? $95 is cheap? The annual membership individually is $60, and group rate is $40 with 8 or more players joining.

6. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

kwun: it's 95 per year and you pay an hourly rate each time u go in.

that looks like rubber on concrete; and judging from the last pic, it hardly looks like they have a "court shoe only" policy

7. Limited328

I believe that family was totally random, and were beginners. Hence the socks, and since it was open house, everyone was welcome and was free to play. TBH, when I saw them, I was a little skeptical as well.

8. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

18 bucks from 8pm to midnight is RIDICULOUS.

9. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    so su badminton next door has: better courts, cheaper membership, and cheaper rates.

Is there any reason to even give C2 a chance? I can't think of one.

10. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

this place is on rodick; not next door to su. But hell for the price they charge one might as well give MJ a shout and play @ Suria (which is just aorund the corner from C2) with his guys. 15 bucks per drop in and it includes shuttles.

11. Tornoni

Tornoni Regular Member

Finance
    You still have to pay for court charges.
    With membership, you don't have to pay guest fee of $3 per visit.
    So, a member will benefit if he/she goes more than 32 times per year.

12. Donttrainme

Donttrainme Regular Member

Drop it fee's are only $7 guys! Where in Markham and Richmond Hill can you just "drop in" at a dedicated badminton facility for that price? Lee's and Mandarin is 13 bucks, SU and Flying Dragon has no drop-in, Suri is not bad but small.

By the way the floors mats are the same used in BWF (although there are verying degrees of thickness aloud) If anyone cares to notice at Lee's, Agincourt and Mandarin, to much padding can lead to rippled mats. Besides, things like flooring padding and $200 rackets and shoes don't make you a better player.

13. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

Su has drop in weekday afternoons ;) And it's 5 bucks there. Not sure about Lee's; but I play there half the time when I'm uptown at night.

Flooring padding might not make us a better player, but it'll be easier on the joints, allowing us to play / train: a) more frequently; b) longer duration or both. So in the long run, it will make better players because the conditions are less taxing physically.

The game is already quite physical; people usually wouldn't say no to a little padding under the mats ;)

If even Everyday badminton can afford to put padding under the mats, surely these guys can as well. When a place charges premium prices; people expect premium facilities. And in terms of hourly rates for badminton courts in the area, these guys are charging premium.

#13 Borbor, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  14. Donttrainme

Hahah.... I forgot about Everyday! Which would you rather have high ceilings or padded flooring? Everyday is better suited for beginners and for trainin. It's hard to play certain level games ceiling are way to low. BTW even beginners can hit the ceiling there.

I do see your point about the floors. On the other hand, that's what the $200 shoes are for!:p Every place offers low rates during the day trying to pull in business when most people are at work. You can't compare daytime rates to nightime rates.

15. Donttrainme

Whoops! sorry! C2 drop-in rates are $8 not $7, still cheap! and Flying dragon does have Drop-in's but VERY restricted:mad:

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    oh. i misunderstood the pricing structure.

over here, we pay around US$300-400 per year membership and there is no hourly rate. unlimited entries!

court mat directly on concrete though, is a major issue. despite what floor manufacturers try to tell the gyms, padding is crucial to the integrity of our joints!

17. Limited328

@Kwun - That's really cheap. That's still $7.7 if you at least visit this place once a week.
    $400/52weeks = $7.7~
    Too bad GTA doesn't have that deal. How's the court availability.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. to breakeven, play at least once a week, and for people who plays more than that, it starts to become pretty good deal.

availability is actually very good. facilities here starts at 8 courts and the largest ones are 26 courts. the ones i regularly go to are 22 and 18 courts. while not always have vacancies, they do implement a queuing system which allows us to play every other game in the worst case, and in many evenings (esp after 9pm), we can pretty much play non-stop. the peak times are weekday early evening and weekend afternoons.

19. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    I frequent between Toronto and Vancouver often. Does anyone else here find it bothering that the club is named "C2". I don't know if Darryl from ClearOne Badminton Centre ever trademarked "C2", but I recall when the ClearOne Browngate location first opened up, it was known as ClearTwo or "C2". I'm under the assumption that these two clubs have no affiliation whatsoever. I hope the individuals that opened this club in Toronto did not try to mislead people into thinking that there is some sort of affiliation.

Darryl and ClearOne is quite reputable as a badminton training centre and have produced quite a few top Canadians and has been a big part in growing the game in Canada (i.e bringing in top international players for exhibitions and coaching - Taufik Hidayat and soon Peter Gade).

I'm not suggesting that this club is bad or anything (I hope it turns out to be good - we want to grow the game in Canada). It just bothers me that the club is awfully similar in name only to the ClearOne clubs (Richmond, Poco, Calgary, Orlando).

Thoughts anyone?

#19 DarthHowie, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  20. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

It doesn't bother me, but tbh when I first read about this place I thought there was affiliation with the BC club too.