How to learn dropshots?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by tm2kger, Jan 22, 2013.

1. tm2kger

tm2kger Regular Member

Hi guys!

I'm asking myself how I can learn some short dropshots. I often experience that I can clear my field by hitting the shuttlecock strong that it flies quite far. My opponent needs to move backwards but then i have no clue how to perform a short dropshot. What is important for me?

1) How to hold the raquet
    2) How to move the raquet / Where do I have to hit the shuttlecock that it si a dropshot?

Thanks guys! Any help appreciated!

2. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

The dropshot should be identical to your clear if your technique is correct. Just remember to hit it high and try to look for the best angle possible. Obviously a slight reduction of speed in your racket arm in the last moment.

3. gerald1994

gerald1994 Regular Member

Student
    I second that... That are various kind of drop shots that you can do..

Visit http://www.art-of-badminton.com/drop-shot.html and take a look at their free resource on the various different drop shot to get a better understand on that move.

But for a start I recommend practicing the simple drop shot first, you could go YouTube and search badminton drop shot, there's lots of tutorials out there!

As you get better, that's when you could try learning other types of drop shot like the slice drop shot!

Good luck! :)

#3 gerald1994, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  4. StefanDO

StefanDO Regular Member

PhD student (Neuropsychology)
    One more thing: If your smash is not the hardest and/or your opponent is very good at defending smashes but maybe not so good when it's about moving to the net, you may play a drop instead of a smash. The nice thing about it: When you pretend to smash, you hit the shuttle further in front of your body (as opposed to a drop instead of a clear), so the trajectory of the shuttle will be much shorter, giving your opponent less time. Especially when a smash is expected (as indicated by your opponent being very far away from the net), such a drop can be a winner.

As far as the "slow" drop is concerned, the trajectory is longer but also steeper when the shuttle comes down. So if your slow drops are precise and close enough to the net, they can also be a direct winner or at least create the opportunity that the opponent can't lift it back to your baseline but only to midcourt area - then you can play the winning smash. However, be careful with slow drops: If your opponent is able to come forward quickly and/or good at netkills, attempts to play this kind of drops often result in losing the rallye.

With respect to strategy: Drops can be very powerful, I just see them being underrated by recreational players, because they often play them with low precision or when they are under pressure with their backhand at backcourt or when they don't realize that the opponent is too close to the net already, ready to kill it. That's why they may regard them as weak shots. But if you play them when the opponent has safe distance from the net, it can be a strong weapon.

Especially in doubles it's great to create misunderstandings: Assuming two right-handed opponents, if you play it to the middle of the net but a bit biased to the right (from your point of view), the opponent on his right would have difficulty to get to the shuttle in time and perform a good return, so that he may think it's his partner to take it, and that partner may think: "Shuttle's coming low, so my partner has to take it with his backhand, because I have little control when returning it with my forehand." If your opponents haven't been playing together for some time, you may often find both of them standing still in such a situation while you are winning the rallye in a calm but elegant way. ;) They may even start argueing afterwards, which can help to get them out of their rhythm and out of their comfort zone - quite helpful in tight matches at tournaments.

#4 StefanDO, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  5. visor

visor Regular Member

All excellent points above already.

For deadly effectiveness, I'd also emphasize the body/arm preparation and action should be exactly the same as the clear or smash... up until just before contact, that's when you suddenly decelerate and push and brush across the bird at contact with a moderately large arm action to fool your opponent even more.

Somehow it's more satisfying to me to win a point with a deceptive shot (like a drop) than an all out smash. ;)

#5 visor, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  7. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    first congrats on being a moderator!

and, i also agree that there are tons of videos on youtube that you can learn from which will be more effective than reading about it. you can even try it in your room as you watch it to at least get the form down :)

8. visor

visor Regular Member

9. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes

10. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Thanks a lot!

To me, his whole move looks too stiff for me. I'm intermediate player only but rather irritates me than teach me how to do a backhand drop. His drops seem to go too far?
    Someone else here who also thinks that this backhand move is way too stiff? It looks like he has a stiff wooden arm without any action with elbow :confused:

11. amleto

amleto Regular Member

If you watch his b/h clear video it's similar. Not very common style at all, but simplicity makes it easy to learn.

12. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Not very common, okay, so I'd better skip this video :p It's getting and better my backhand drop, so there's no need to watch videos which shows something - in my opinion - completely different.

btw: I knew that there are slice drop shots. But after the video, mentioned in the art-of-badminton.com website, it was so easy to understand how it really works and I also was kinda successful in trying this drop shot out. My normal drop shots are much worse.. =/

13. amleto

amleto Regular Member

it's more accurately called reverse slice drop. you can of course slice it in the conventional way as well

14. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi,

Much has been explained here already. Few key points here to remember again when learning to do a forehand drop shot for optimal results:

1. Your physical position: Behind the shuttle.

This to ensure that you have an optimal view of your hitting zone in order to produce an optimal racket head contact with the incoming birdie

2. Your hitting zone: Contact the shuttle as high as possible and out in front of your body.

This will ensure a more precise contact and feeling when you're executing a drop shot and to ensure high probability for it to be valid since you're addressing it optimally high and early

3. Your technique: Straighten your elbow as you hitting the birdie in it's hitting zone

This will facilitate in controlling your swing speed technique while performing a drop shot for better control

3. Your dropshot trajectory: Remember, the angle of the racket face will determine the direction of your dropshot.

Unless it's a slice or reversed drop shot, the placement for a straight drop shot of whatever nature will depends on the direction on where your racket head swinging is facing.

Learn also certain important ability to further up grade your drop shot effectiveness if you're able already to effectively do a drop shot:

- Improve your wrist strength

This will improve your wrist action that is essential to maneuver your racket head while performing a drop shot for doing certain amount of deception

- Improve your peripheral vision

Since the velocity of a drop shot is not as fast as a smash therefore by improving your peripheral vision, this will definitely give you beneficial amount of view millisecond prior to your drop shot for optimal placement in regards with your opponent location to make it an out right winner

- And importantly....your footwork

By being able to position yourself optimally to do a drop ----> optimal contact point to do a drop ----> optimal results for your drop regardless of what shoes, racket or socks you're wearing:p

Good Luck

SS

15. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    also for extra zip, tighten your index finger and thumb at contact.

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

If you haven't seen it already, you might want to check out my article on drop shots. This only covers the basics, but the basics are important.

17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Been a long time! Nice to have you back!

18. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Thanks, and it's good to be back!