Edge over Average Players

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bobjoemike, Jan 22, 2013.

1. bobjoemike

bobjoemike Regular Member

Theres 14 days till tryouts. I really want to make the team but I find myself worst than most average player because of my large margain of errors. I don't think the people are the tryouts are that good but I wouldn't be able to beat them with my poor posture. I need some ideas/edges over the average player. For example, taking advantage of opponent backhand, or doing short serves and than a flick once in a while.

I just needs some little tips to win over people and I am working really hard on my technique but if it comes down to it, I might need some little tricks.

2. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

Rome wasnt built in a day

3. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    Even lance armstrong needed 10 years of cheating to beat his competitors.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I need some ideas/edges over the average player

Perhaps it's best for you to get a professional coach to watch how you play. Because after watching how you play, he/she can help you to modify your game plan/approach, so that you can maximise your chances to win.

5. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Don't aim for the lines, develop a booming smash and deceptive drop shots, assess your opposition as early as possible, keep playing until you get into the team. If you don't make it then get better!

6. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Giving pressure to your opponent as early as first serve, your stamina have to cope with that though ..

7. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

OK, what's the defination of "average players" in these forums? I need a guide here.

8. DRead

DRead Regular Member

Level 2 Coach
    As previous posters have pointed out improvement is process which can’t be rushed and there aren’t really any quick fixes. In the long run coaching/training is the way forward.

Having said that often I find that when players face consistency problems (myself included), it can just be a case of over-thinking. I’d suggest trying some form of self-talk to distract your conscious mind from taking over – keep it positive and simple. I find that thinking “next” or “ready” after each shot keeps my head in the rally rather than focusing on individual strokes or technique. Also think of each rally as a fresh start; dwelling on a past mistake can lead to more errors and may lead to a vicious circle!

9. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there,

Regardless of what is the level of your possible opponent will be, as far as planning what are the best approach to beat him within this short period of time is still by positively having the right mind set that you have the strength in how you play that can eventually be your weapon to beat any of your opponent. It's also important to strengthen all the basic technique in how you play regardless of what is the level of your style of play as this will build better confidence in all your hits rather than focusing on learning and experimenting new deception. It's unlikely that much can be improved within this few days but what matter most is that you've able to mentally know what area that you must improved that can be part of your strategy while playing. Focus on:

Specifically
    - Area that your footwork movements is sluggish.
    - Sharpening what strength that you have in how you play. Do drills to improve the quality in this are
    - Rectifying what are the area of your weakness. If you're prone in making unforced errors then this area needs improvements and again it requires you to train with numerous drills

Generally
    - Improve all the qualities of all your hits from the point of validity an accuracy

When playing, regardless of what strategy of play you've decided to use base on your strength or any suggested approach being mentioned here, while playing, just install a simple style of play and be positive in your own ability that you can win. Such mental can develop a winning character in how you play that will make you a winner.

SS

10. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Shooting stroke is absolutely right. Don't worry about 'tricks' in the short time you have left. Focus on practicing some of those shots you say are inconsistent. The easiest thing to practice is your serves. You don't even need a partner. If you can get those consistent, then you'll be starting every rally on a good note. :)
    Bonne chance!!

11. betazone

betazone Regular Member

one of the fastest way to improve which I had tried myself is to analyze points lose/win. Why do you lose a particular point, how often the points are lost that way. If 60% of points for you is lost to inability to return smashed then you work on your defence. Do it, it's effective !

12. bobjoemike

bobjoemike Regular Member

Alright thanks guys, although i think i know the footwork to pickup net shots, i always dont get there on time.

I will try using a postiive atitude though.

13. dffhkhksg

dffhkhksg Regular Member

What you can do is stay positive no matter how bad of a shot you make. That is what many coaches are looking for (I assume you are talking highschool and not varsity badminton)

14. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    might not be what you want the hear but... practice... so you're better than average.

15. renbo

renbo Regular Member

You might find out that when you play competition your mistake rate go up. If that is the case, you should think of your most comfortable shot or combination of shots and play them a lot, for your mind to steady. If for exemple you like to drop, then drop a lot.