User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default BWF said they will not offer LD a wild card if he is not qualified to WC via world ra

BWF said they will not offer LD a wild card if he is not qualified to WC via world ranking.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd just cut to the chase. If Lin Dan is denied a qualification spot to the WC by not giving him a wild card entry, who loses?

1) the sponsors for Lin Dan is the top draw,the crowd puller for the spectators and TV viewers as part of an effective marketing campaign;

2) BWF and the tournament organizer for failing to maximize the publicity and promotion of the sport that including Lin Dan would have brought after his long layoff for all the interest,excitement and speculative curiosity it generates;

3) the players, esp the main contenders presumably Lee CW and Chen Long, and other title pretenders for the the winner will have to live with the description "the 2013 World Champion but or because Lin Dan didn't play' - in other words the WC 2013 title loses some of its luster,status,prestige,recognition;

4) again the WC competitors for they are deprived of the best chance to beat Lin Dan who is,I believe, at his most vulnerable and weakest form in any major championship ever - ask Park Sung Hwan how it felt to be the one who dispatched him in the 2010 WC.

BWF COO, Thomas Lund, said BWF will not change the rule for anyone - but Lin Dan isn't just anyone. As badminton's most iconic figure, for his contributions to the sport, as the defending champion and four-time world champion, two-time Olympic champion, and widely-acknowledged as the Greatest of All Time - if he doesn't deserve to play then who does? It'll be such a shame if Lin Dan is denied entry because of a technicality.

Don't forget, this is the World Championship, not the Olympic Games where in the spirit of the Games the most important thing is not to win but to take part, and so on and so forth. In the World Championship, winning is everything and we want all the best players in every part of the world represented to compete for the legitimate title of World Champion.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    I'd just cut to the chase. If Lin Dan is denied a qualification spot to the WC by not giving him a wild card entry, who loses?
    only CBA can deny LD to play at the World Championship.
    LD is certainly eligible for the second MS to represent China.
    If for whatever reason CBA decided to leave LD out and send 3 MS from the top 24 instead then turn around to BWF for a wildcard for LD, i think we may have a riot in hand!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought the defending champion should get a wildcard but to change this rule now would seem wrong. I think BWF wants to make a statement towards CBA that they can't do everything they want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frankly I think no one should be made to feel he is indispensable...there should not be any prima donnas around...

-

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By right,the defending champion should have automatic qualification, wild card is only for those who don't qualify based on ranking. Since BWF don't have such an auto-qualification rule , then wild card entry is the way; I see little reason for two other CHN players to be sacrificed when Lin Dan deserves it on his own merits. Perhaps the compromise is for him to replace one of the three CHN MS who qualified on ranking, and not 3+1 wild card.

That BWF might do anything that favours CHN should be the least of anybody's worries, for the contrary is the case according to Liu Fengyan, the former Head of the Table Tennis and Badminton Centre of China, who also once said that BWF practically rejects every proposal or suggestion put up by CHN even though they are beneficial to the sport.

Casting aside any sectarian views and feelings, prejudices or bias in favour of or against, the question whether Lin Dan should be given a wild card entry or not ought to be considered purely from the interests of badminton as a whole, in particular the stature of the World Champion Title.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so funny
    still able to recall how xia xuan ze failed to qualify for 2005 wc.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keenobserver View Post
    Frankly I think no one should be made to feel he is indispensable...there should not be any prima donnas around...
    -
    Agree, you don't change the rules just to suit someone. There were no LD in tournaments since Oly 12 and I think we are doing fine. LCW didn't dominate. Let's have some new winners.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say,let's not bring in unrelated or extraneous issues and adopt an unbiased,objective approach.

In my opinion, the defending champion has every right, nay,it's even his duty, to defend the title of world champion, just as every contestant has the right to dethrone him. I'm sure nobody wants to become world champion by avoiding any worthy challenger as it would only serve to diminish his standing.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I say,let's not bring in unrelated or extraneous issues and adopt an unbiased,objective approach.

In my opinion, the defending champion has every right, nay,it's even his duty, to defend the title of world champion, just as every contestant has the right to dethrone him. I'm sure nobody wants to become world champion by avoiding any worthy challenger as it would only serve to diminish his standing.
    not agreeing nor disagreeing to the above. i just want to point out:

there are some precedence in this, being Uber/Thomas/Sudirman Cup where the previous champions are automatically granted entry.

however, AFAIK, there is no such rule for the world championship. and for an international body like the BWF, they need to follow rules otherwise there will be chaos.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    not agreeing nor disagreeing to the above. i just want to point out:

there are some precedence in this, being Uber/Thomas/Sudirman Cup where the previous champions are automatically granted entry.

however, AFAIK, there is no such rule for the world championship. and for an international body like the BWF, they need to follow rules otherwise there will be chaos.
    I understand. As for such precedence, there are also a number of other sports that already set it, i.e. automatic qualification for the defending champion, eg in soccer, chess, just to name two.

About making changes, if it is beneficial and for the better of everyone and the sport itself, why not.History is replete with examples of human laws and rules and regulations being changed,modified,improved upon to suit new needs and altered circumstances. They aren't like Laws of Nature of which we can only obey and harness because they are eternal,universal and unchangeable.

I feel that such a rule change will ensure all future defending champions are entitled to fight for the title and can only lose it to someone better, not otherwise, as befitting the pre-eminent title of World Champion.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whats your opinion when xia xuanze unable to qualify for 2005 wc when he is 2003 wc?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

meanwhile
    lyb said he support the absent of lin dan in wc.
    slapped some face

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    whats your opinion when xia xuanze unable to qualify for 2005 wc when he is 2003 wc?
    Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    meanwhile
    lyb said he support the absent of lin dan in wc.
    slapped some face
    It's hard talking sense to some CHN fans. They want a rule for themselves because they are so and so and because they are who and who.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah
    they shocked when US ambassador take economy seat and carry their own luggage when he 1st come to china
    arent XXX should take a private flight and have some worker to carry their luggage?
    just like
    are lin dan should be automatically qualify for WC?
    then why zhang ning cannot automatically qualify for 2016 rio OG?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand. As for such precedence, there are also a number of other sports that already set it, i.e. automatic qualification for the defending champion, eg in soccer, chess, just to name two.

About making changes, if it is beneficial and for the better of everyone and the sport itself, why not.History is replete with examples of human laws and rules and regulations being changed,modified,improved upon to suit new needs and altered circumstances. They aren't like Laws of Nature of which we can only obey and harness because they are eternal,universal and unchangeable.

I feel that such a rule change will ensure all future defending champions are entitled to fight for the title and can only lose it to someone better, not otherwise, as befitting the pre-eminent title of World Champion.
    Oops, misspelling, I mean precedent.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to me the world championship itself must be contended from the very best of the best. if the lin dan itself fail to justify his presence at WC (in the other word, by its current form i dont think that he is able to beat Chen Long, Du Pengyu, Chen Jin, Wang Zhengming or even Gao Han) so be it. What matter most is the current performance.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast