Power vs Maneuverability - Striking a balance

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by f1rst, Jan 24, 2013.

1. f1rst

f1rst Regular Member

I've been having issues with rackets recently and can't seem to find the right combination for me. I was using VT80's and the power was immense. However, my racket speed around the net did suffer in fast paced gents doubles. I've moved onto Arc 8DX's to try and find a happy medium between power and maneuverability. The fast paced stuff is amazing but it does just lack that extra bit of power I like.

What I'd like to know is, does anyone know of a racket that sits in between these two and will give me the power of the vt80 and the maneuverability of the arc 8dx. I'm asking a lot.

A bit about me... I'm a county player here in the UK, like stiff rackets and will consider any brand.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

If your VT80 is a 3U, try a 4U one.

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

And you are not thinking of cuztom works because ... ? If anything you can go through their tool and see what you land on [​IMG].

4. decoy

decoy Regular Member

I was in a similar situation a month or 2 ago. I found that the li ning n55 was a good compromise in between those two but I heard li ning is expensive everywhere (same as yonex here) the at900t was also around the same feel and is possibly a good bit cheaper.

5. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Hmm.... some to try:

VT80 4U
    VT70 4U
    AT900P
    AT900T
    ARC10
    ARCZS
    ARCiS

NS9900
    NR700FX
    NR700RP
    NR800

BS12
    BSLYD

VTT
    VTE

6. meteor

meteor Regular Member

Have a look at Victor MX series, Li-Ning N50II and N55II - these are all fast throught the air, slightly head heavy.
    Even balance rackets with medium flex might work better than 8DX for generating power when you need it: Carlton VTT, Kinesis. Victor BS12.

I find that some head light rackets give amazing speed plus power that is not too far from head heavy ones. If you are a wrist based player you might find that applies to you too.

7. f1rst

f1rst Regular Member

Anybody had any experience with the Kason C7 and F9?

8. irwanb

irwanb Regular Member

self employed
    u can try adding weight to the frame.. i did on my 6u nano fusion.. power n easily manuverable..

how much weight? depends on u..

9. evanknighs

evanknighs New Member

CFO
    yeah,good things. the at900t was also around the same feel and is possibly a good bit cheaper.thank you[​IMG]

10. Aryan

Aryan Regular Member

Since you like stiff racket, you may go for C7 which is very good in power and maneuverability. The stiffness allows you to control your shots whether net shots or drives, it performs very well for me. The power also very easily accessible.

My wrist and arm are quite weak, but the power I can unleash from C7 is amazing. To me, no other rackets can serve me as well as C7 in term of power, speed and maneuverability. MX80, MX60, Arc10, NS8000, NS9900, BS11, SW37 which are among the rackets I used before.

Anyone would like to share your experience? :)

11. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

This. One advice though - try not to attempt lift shots, unless you have a strong arm and wrist. Without one, the shuttle will end up in midcourt, and your opponent can punish you severly with a smash.

12. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    It's a difficult ask. But not impossible.

The 8DX is a fantastic doubles racquet. I can extract quite a lot of power from it now I've used it for a while. It was difficult to get the power initially but it is there, just not easily available.

I would suggest you experiment with different strings, tensions and perhaps add a little weight to the top of the frame and see if it gives you what you want.

I found the 8DX quite sensitive to string type and tension. It craves thicker strings, as Yonex suggests (which is also my preference), I've found the Victor VS850 at about 28lb tension works best for me, will be trying LN NS30 soon.

I've recently bought a Victor BS-LYD. This is more head heavy than the 8DX, probably not far off a VT80 in terms of balance. However it has one trick up it's sleeve. It is aerodynamically, very fast. This helps to make up for the slight head heaviness but the aerodynamic advantage is only really beneficial at high racquet head speeds such as in smashing. It doesn't help as much in short stroke shots such as defense, drives etc. For these shots, its probably on far with the 8DX.

The BSLYD is not excessively head heavy, but you can feel it does have some mass in the head.

Have you played with the ArcZS? This is not really a stiff racquet, in fact it feels quite flexible because of the extra long shaft, but for some reason I get a long with it really well despite being a lover of stiff racquets. It is superfast, one of the fastest racquets I've ever used and has power that is really easy to tap. It behaves differently to any other racquet I have used and it feels really solid. The small head and fast speed takes some getting used to, but I found the ArcZS seems to have qualities from both a head heavy and head light racquet in one. So I'd recommend you try that too if you want to buy a new racquet. However the best and cheapest option is to see if you can tweak/customise your 8DX to you liking.

13. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I've never tried the 4U but surely it can't be that bad!

14. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

Well, you should know that 4U is lighter than 3U, so it lacks the power which 3U provides.But that is the only problem I face with the 4U - other than that it works wonderfully.

15. Boggieeiggob

Boggieeiggob Regular Member

I tried my friend's ZS ch coded and it's was REALLY nice. It still has that power and speed it brags about but the smaller head makes the shaft stiffer (in motion, that's why when you just end it with your fingers it's not that stiff) and it's speed is quite good IMO for defence and net shots. Defo worth a try if you have the chance (although a different friend has an SP coded and I want one now basically).

16. Mike1337

Mike1337 Regular Member

I agree with Visor, 4u VT 80.

I do not think there will be an issue if you are already using a 3u Vt80 with lifting the shuttle.

Alternative is to use a 4u vt70 (medium flex) or a Li Ning n80. Frame design makes it fast for doubles.

17. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    maybe a less stiff even balance racket in the Arcsaber line might help. arc7,10,11 might help. the 8dx is extra stiff, probably the stiffest in the arcsaber line. if you're like the even balance, then with a more flexible racket you'll get some of that power back. :)