Getting faster to the Shuttle

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bobjoemike, Jan 26, 2013.

1. bobjoemike

bobjoemike Regular Member

I have been playing doubles and i notice my teammate getting shots effortless and making good shots cause he can get to it very early. A net shot becomes a netkill for him. Hes taller than me and more lengthly. So thats not in my favour. Is there a way to react or get to the shuttle faster?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

it helps to have a longer reach like your teamate...

few other things you can do:
    - racket up and ready
    - split step
    - anticipate
    - be more explosive

3. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    aim the direction of the shuttle going right after it is hit by the racket,not just wait till the shuttles fly past the net only then u start to move,practice makes perfect...anticipate more

4. bobjoemike

Doesnt take backfire if your opponent hit where you are not going?

5. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    if u can read my sentence again,sir.

6. bobjoemike

I don't get what you meant by "aim"? Move towards it?

7. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    Move right after the shuttle is hit

8. bobjoemike

But my reflex is very slow. Anyway to improve it?

9. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    Train some fast foot training everyday...

10. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I find I can relax my brain kind of thing and let my instincts react rather than me thinking about it. Hard to explain really, but I think it's the same as parkinson's sufferers: they cannot move deliberately but they can react subconsciously to catch a ball. I have terrible reactions and sometimes my own reaction shot to a smash is over the net before I know what's happened :)

11. rlky1990

rlky1990 Regular Member

i agree with danny. anticipate more. read your opponent gameplay and be one step ahead of them.

12. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    Relax ur.body before going for a hard reflex..because if u make ur self too firm on the ground,its hard to move

13. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

Pure reflex varies little. You do not have 'poor' reflexes. You have merely not trained yourself to play efficiently. Efficient play isn't something that can be done consciously. You need to learn to 'read the game' & then you'll be able to keep up with your teammate.

Firstly, are you in the correct position? Does your team-mate move slightly closer to the net when the opposition are taking a tight net or drop shot? Are they in the correct place to defend smashes? It's amazing how much time is saved by being in the correct place from the start.

Secondly, a word on anticipation. In any given situation where your opponent is about to hit the shuttle, you will know what the probable shots will be. Always prepare for the shot that gives you the least time to respond (usually a smash, drive or net shot), but be aware that they might lift/drop/block instead. Anticipation isn't trying to prejudge what they're going to do, that's guessing. You will learn to move as soon as you can judge where the shuttle is going (but not sooner), which will give you extra time.

Finally, be aware what you can do. Consider the situation where your opposition has just played a drop off your lift and you're moving towards the net. If you approach with your racket down (i.e. ready for a net shot), you won't be able to make a net-kill. If you approach with racket up, you can always switch to a net-shot if you get there too late to kill.

14. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    nice and thanx for typing it out chap...haha

15. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    Anticipate - is good word. So is preparation. Like playing chess - if you move a piece into a "sacrificial" position, your opponent will go for the kill.... sometime even knowing his piece will be killed by your next move.
    You lift the shuttle high (may be a foot short of the baseline), you position yourself a step further (or half step), ready for the jump smash. What are you doing ? Are you anticipating a smash, or preparing for a drop if the smash did not come ? Why would your opponent clear when you are (at least for his quick peek while approaching the shot) close to the baseline ?

Receiving serve, you push the shuttle flat to the back player's backhand, say you put some "spice" in there before the push, the extra spice freeze the defender, or at least make him stay at base just a bit longer. Seeing the defender turns and reach for the backhand, shuttle below waist height. Are you anticipating a weak return (net kill) ? What if his is able to do more than a weak straight "block"? You will need to prepare for both straight and cross court short returns.... while your eyes are fixed on the shuttle looking for that "net kill". With the mental prep, would your feet move lightning fast ?

16. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

as usual, there's no shortcut to success:
    you have practise and be aware of your weaknesses to improve!!!
    e.g. footwork, fitness (explosiveness), awareness, anticipation/reading the game are the things to consider.
    there's no magic in getting to the shuttle early! it's a mixture of awareness/concentration, physical abilities (speed of movement) and a lot of experience (e.g. beeing able to read your opponent's shots...).