Badminton Fitness Training

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by liyongbo, Jan 27, 2013.

1. liyongbo

liyongbo Regular Member

Hi Guys,

I am currently 23 years old now and start to resume to intensive badminton after leaving it idle for the past 6 years. I used to train under a coach for 2 years when I was 12. Hence, I have quite a solid skills in executing most of the strokes.

My problem now is that I am too slow. I lost all the footwork skills that I used to have and feel extremely tired most of the time. I believe this is attributed to (1) My Stamina (2) My poor footwork and (3) lack of strength (or explosiveness) in my leg.

I am wondering how should I start should start training alone during the day. I am currently on vacation in Malaysia. I don't think it is possible to get a coach for me as most of the coach usually train teenagers. Who do you guys do when you are alone?

I am thinking of hiring a court in the early morning where there is no one there so that I can concentrate and practice my footwork. To increase my stamina, I plan to follow the guide recommended by Badminton England which is as follow:

• Weeks 1-3.
    20 minute continuous jog at an easy pace. Aim: to complete run without stopping
    • Weeks 4-6
    30 minute continuous jog at easy pace. Aim: as above (but 30min)
    • Weeks 7-9
    ~ 25 minute run at moderate pace. Aim: same route as week 4-6 but at a faster pace
    • Weeks 10-12
    35 minute continuous run at similar pace as in weeks 7-9.

Is there any other training method (preferably off-court) so that I can train alone? Feel free to correct me if you think my training method is not effective.

Cheers.

2. ein_roboter

ein_roboter Regular Member

Student
    The stamina exercise sounds good.

For your speed and agility:
    - Jumping rope non-stop for a long time (excellent for your stamina, wrists, leg muscles and agility)
    - Agility ladder exercises: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uouXu4Oqpjs

Leg power/fitness exercises:
    - Press and rest your back against the wall, your upper legs horizontal with the ground (making a 45 degree angle with your lower legs). Remain position for 30 (or more, according to your own fitness level) seconds and repeat this for a couple of times
    - Make a large step forward and make a movement almost like you're going to kneel down and immediately step (use your strenght for an explosive 'jump step') backwards. It's important that the knie of the support leg doesn't bend over your foot! You can use dumbbells in your hands for the extra weight.

3. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    my goodness, you've had 2 years of training.
    You already know the exercises, know the footwork, know the techniques. PRACTICE WHAT YOU ALREADY KNOW!

Unless you recently hit your head and lost all your memory... in which case, your priority is to get your head examined and not focus on badminton.

4. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

AE278BB6CBB7487C0FF7AE706177CDE2E45AC583 is my dig
    bad advice, progress only comes from practicing stuff you don't have mastered

5. andyhidy

andyhidy New Member

student
    Look for similar level player to play together! =D