New player needing advice on rackets (Yonex VT-3 LTD)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Soldierx1, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Soldierx1

Soldierx1 New Member

Hello, this is my first time posting and I need some advice on rackets. I did some searches (for a number of rackets) and it seems that there isn't much advice on lower end rackets (sub $100) so I figured I should ask.

About me, I'm a senior in college who loved to play in high school and played a bit first year of college. However due to my schedule and workload I haven't played at all since then until the past few months. I'm taking a badminton class currently and am working on getting better. I've been trying to play 2-3 times a week but depending on my friends schedules sometimes only once. I tend to play fairly aggressively going for smashes whenever possible, but I have been working on my net play/drop shots for a more balanced play style. My budget is $80-100, and if a racket is less, say $50, and it's a solid racket, that I would also consider.

The reason I want to get a racket is, well I don't own one. While the rackets my college has are decent (we have Wilson xloop 600's and some variety of Yonex, basically $50-70 rackets) they get used by a bunch of people and it's random as to which one I get to use. I want a racket to call my own and to get used to. I don't know why or remember what model the Yonex rackets are but I seem to prefer those.

I've been looking around and the Yonex Voltric 3 fits my budget and seems to be a good racket but I was wondering what more experienced players think? I've also been looking at the ArcSaber 001 & 002.

http://www.badmintonavenue.com/2012-Yonex-Voltric-3-LTD-Badminton-Racket-p/voltric3ltd-2012.htm

Thanks!

2. Gunnersfan

Gunnersfan Regular Member

Student
    all those rackets you mentioned(VT3, arc001, arc002) are good rackets...
    all rackets are medium-stiffed...
    the difference is VT3 is a bit more head heavy than the Arcsabers....
    but all those rackets are good enough for beginners and intermediate players....
    imo, arc001 and 002 are better for those who just starting to learn badminton and VT3 is for people who at least above beginner or intermediate players....
    but it depends on your preferences...
    good luck..:)

3. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i would suggest the arc002 because it's more or less an all round racket. until you get better, that racket should suit you fine, with a flexible shaft it will give you the extra power when you are tired. i have an arc002 and i love the flexible shaft. most importantly, it is on sale right now at badminton alley (no relations to the store). the vt3 limited has a nice paint job for a low end racket, and i also have one, but it's more or less my training racket until i get the TR1 because i do find it quite heavy and when i play with it while i'm tired, my response time get worst dramatically. i also have a nanoray 20 and it's also a low end head light racket, but for some reason, i find it very close to being even balance like the arc002, but a tiny bit lighter for quick doubles games.

good luck finding a new racket and let us know what you end up with :)

4. Soldierx1

Soldierx1 New Member

Sorry for taking a while to respond, I've been really busy. Thanks for the advice! Actually I stumbled upon a different racket in class and right away noticed that I like it much more than the other rackets I've played with so far. It's this: http://www.badminton.net/cart/product_info.php?products_id=883. It felt like it had a decent bit more power and a bit more control than the Yonex Carbonex I've played with normally. I was rather surprised by the price, it seems very cheap. But then again with brands like Yonex you are paying for the brand and the pros they sponsor.

Problem is I don't know what string or tension the one in class has. So that is something I am not sure about. I've been doing research and I think for my level of play and the fact that I play with plastic birdies 20lbs of tension would be best. As for the string I noticed a lot of people love the Yonex BG80 but its not very durable so I got looking and found that the NGB95 is far more durable and very powerful. Any advice there?

Since the racket is so cheap I wouldn't mind spending a bit extra on string if it means I get more durability and power.

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    before you spend a lot on badminton, just get the racket from that store, it's a great store and i sometimes order rackets and supplies from them. have it string bg65 at 22lbs as starter, then as you get better and better, you'll figure out the type of string that you like and the tension that suits you better. bg65 is an all round durable string and i think 22lbs is pretty much beginner tension.

6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I have seen the AT50 @99$ on your stated website. I own one and can say it's a pretty decent racket for a yonex midrange racket. It's midstiff IMO, because I'm used to use the MX80. It's headheavy but not an overkill like the AT700.
    If I were you I would take a look at several brands like Babolat, Gosen, Apacs, Carlton and so on. Yonex is a well known brand, but at your budget you can get more racket for a better price. Skip Wilson. IMO not worthy.

7. Soldierx1

Soldierx1 New Member

Actually I recently discovered Apacs rackets, and they seem to be quite affordable (most running around $50-70.) What's the deal with them? Are they well built rackets and are there any particular models you would recommend I look into? I guess the real problem is there are a lot of options, would be great to try them all but right now I can't really afford to try more than 2 at the most (if I go with something around $50 that is.)

Also since we're on the topic of other brands are these brands reputable:
    Pro Kennex
    Prospeed
    KX
    Flex Power
    Yehlex
    Thwack

8. santhoshbhoopal

santhoshbhoopal Regular Member

i think you should buy someone's used racket on the forums. you can get a highend racket at a good price

9. Gunnersfan

Student
    well, for apacs, there are two types, one is copycat racket and the other one is their own racket.....
    some of their models such as Nano Power, Edgesabers and Finapi is their copycat rackets....
    they may copy from yonex, victor or li ning rackets...
    they are very affordable, but the feel for sure not like the originals....

if you want to try apacs original racket
    like Lethal, Slayer, Tweet International or Tantrum series...
    it is said the likes of Lethal 70, Tantrum 200 and 300 are as good as Yonex's and other big boys' rackets...
    plus apacs' are cheaper, i might try one someday....:)

10. Timz :]

Timz :] Regular Member

Here's my 10 cents.

Refrain from getting those cheap imitation rackets of yonex etc. Just go to a legit sports store and get something within the budget that falls under head heavy with a wide frame(not those thin aero ones). Then String it to around 24-26 lbs of tension to get a good control for net play.

Regarding the V3, I would suggest to just save up for the VTZF or VT80. I think you could get them for around 200 or so online. It's worth the wait.

11. Soldierx1

Soldierx1 New Member

Thanks Gunnersfan for the information on the Apacs, that's really helpful. I'll have to take a closer look at them. Though I'm pretty set on getting that racket I linked in my second post because I've actually played with it and I liked it.

Timz I may not be as experienced as you or other people on these forums but I'm pretty sure giving the advice of saving up and just getting a $200+ racket isn't the best advice. Getting a really expensive racket won't make me play better. Also I play with plastic shuttles currently and its not recommended to have string tension that high unless you play with feathers.

http://badminton-coach.co.uk/272/wh...badminton-could-be-doing-more-harm-than-good/

12. Gunnersfan

Student
    it's good that you realized it...
    i also used a cheap steel racket when i just started playing badminton....
    i changed my racket as i grow in my skills.....
    a good racket wont make up a good skill, and i believe racket is not a big factor when it comes to performance....
    you'll be a better player if you train your skills rather than buying an expensive racket...

about tension, my favourite tension is 23x25lbs, but since most yonex rackets' max tension just at 24, so i have to lower it down to 22x24lbs...
    i think that's just enough for me....
    higher tension like 27lbs above is just for a very advance players and pros...
    high tension give a "boom" sound if you centre the birdie, but if you dont have enough arm strength, the birdie wont go far as you like.....
    lastly, good luck with your new racket...:)

13. ccyuri

ccyuri Regular Member

If you can only get yonex in your area, nanospeed 100 or 500 is a good choice for plastic shuttles, even with factory strings, (Their frame is light and durable)
    For apacs, it depends if you have time to read reviews and compare the rackets.

14. irwan_kho

irwan_kho Regular Member

Account