The Difference Between Indonesian Players and Chinese Players

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Pebulutangkis, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Pebulutangkis

Pebulutangkis Regular Member

Student
    Compared to Chinese players, Indonesians tend to last longer on the world scene. For example, Taufik Hidayat had been on the scene during the era of sun jun & peter gade's dominance, and is still on the scene during chen hong's era. ricky/rexy was there in the cheah soon kit era, and was also there in the ha/kim era. Sun Jun, Gong Zhichao, Dai Yun, Ji Xinpeng had very short careers at the highest level. Chinese tend to have around 2-3 years at the top, while Indonesians have maybe more than 5 years.

I believe is mostly due to the training system. The Chinese system is very tough, so players will get tired and/or injured, and retire from the game. The Indonesian system lets the players grow naturally, so they will not be worn out quickly.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    even longer are the Danes.

Rikke Olsen has been around before 1996. Michael Soggard also, he just retired not too long ago. there is also Peter Rasmussen, Gade has been around longer than Taufik i think.

but true, Chinese tend to fade pretty quickly. not too much because of the hard training, but also because there are too many youngsters are there to fill up the gap. it is hard to keep up with the younger and fresher players.

3. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    But on the other hand China have successfully replaced world stars in most events every couple of years. Indonesia have not replaced their stars and have seen them keep playing into decline until retirement, thus indonesia is very weak compared with ten years ago.

4. swijaya0101

swijaya0101 Regular Member

dlp,

it's because most of indonesian youngsters are taken out by other countries.

for example: singapore alone has taken around 8-12 players for their national squads ...

PBSI has mentioned that within 3-5 years Indonesia wont be able to challange China + South Korea ... because lack of re-generation.

absolutely true ... i also believe that chinese youngsters are more dicipline than indonesian youngsters.

5. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Swijaya,

Thanks for that info, why are are all the youngsters going? Money? Politics? Coaching?

6. swijaya0101

swijaya0101 Regular Member

money ...

with the corrupt officials running the PBSI ... i guess more and more players are not happy with the situation.

take an example ... sometimes in 1996-1997 ... susi susanti lodge a complaint, because money from her contract with yonex were not yet released.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Exactly. I believe this is the main reason over "health" concern.

I am pretty sure pros from other nations facing serious injuries at times as well. However, those nations will face a tough tough time when their top gun has to be put away. For example, if Carmilla or Mia could not attend an event, the WS quarter final or above will be Asian (most likely CHN) warfare. When KOR top 2 MD suffering injury, none of their youngster could even pass 2nd round. When WCH got problem, MAS MS have a tough time to hold spot in 3rd round or later. However, CHN seldom face such issues, especially in MS, WS and WD. They usually have tons of talent could go deeper, if 1 or 2 are down, the rest still could raise the champ trophy, never have to metion once a while, a young "black horse" can beat up the older brothers and shock the world.

It might be a sad thing for fans who like particular CHN player, and only able to see him/her around for 3 yrs. However, being able to frequent "update" the team, while staying on top at all time, it's a proof for how successful such program is.

8. TRFred

TRFred Regular Member

Jobless
    I think it is based on the population, Indonesia compared to China has less so the great players are less or irreplaceable, while China, the most populated, so many badminton players, therefore competition is very stiff in the try-outs, i think government(Communist) control on who is to play outside China, makes way for more try-outs for old and new players. Thats why China superstars stardom dont last long.

9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I also think the reason why chinese are more disciplined is that due to a large number f players (larger pool, the chinese can afford to forget about the players with flambuouyance and "personality" such as taufik, but if indonesia dont have taufik then who do they have?

-sony, who is good but a little young, and needs to learn more dimension to his game rather than pace, and the new simon santoso, whom I have only heard about on this site.

I believe there is a similar situation in england, the players get to the top, but then feel they have nothing to prove, and become less intrested in improving, but merely just being able to beat there domestic rivals.

10. frictionman

frictionman Regular Member

Lawyer
    Chinese players tend to retire early coz there are many new generation players to replace the older ones (OLDER ones not Old ones ok?)

Imagine with a population of 1.3 BILLION Chinese in CHINA ALONE they have the worlds biggest supply of human talents...

11. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    And yet conversely Denmark (population around 5 million) have as many world class men as anyone!

12. chub2003

chub2003 Regular Member

maybe the reason danes stay in longer than asians is the style of play? I notice the asian players tend to move very fast and jump all the time, which is very demanding of their body. Then, they must retire because of health issues, or just that their body cannot support the play anymore. Danes, however, are taller and more muscular, their style of play is not as intense and therefore less demanding on their body, because of their build they are able to get to shots easily, while asian players must compensate with speed.

13. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    WHEW! Seriously??? They said it OPENLY????

Man, that's sth! Okay I'm sad. Because I've been supporting INA since I was 12 (I'm 22 now) and the INA I remembered from the early to mid 90s had so many MS in the top 10, pretty much like China today.

It's weird to see how a country gradually fades out of a sport until you only kinda remember that they were once good at it.... sth like a tradition without any real substance.

When I was in Korea, this Korean girl and I were talking abt badminton (actually I got started by asking if she knew Lee Dong Soo and she said, "Yeah, the cute one?") and she mentioned that Indonesia and Malaysia were really really good. And I was like "Yeah" (stopped myself fr saying "that was in the past" coz of Southeast Asian pride... ha) but somehow I couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for the state of things now.

Oh well, tt's beyond my control really....

14. viver

viver Regular Member

I suspect Indonesia decline in badminton is related more to politics, organizational issues rather than talent shortage. :rolleyes:

15. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Oh, of course! Which is why I said I couldn't do anything abt it! ;)

QUOTE=viver]I suspect Indonesia decline in badminton is related more to politics, organizational issues rather than talent shortage. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

16. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Why doesn't this surprise me? ;)

Interestingly I think Malaysia could be on it's way back up again, Indo is definately going down with the lack of youngsters, however that's purely political, and they could reemerge from their lows in say 10 years maybe. Whilst it is sad when old powers go down, it's nice as new powers emerge, just how far will say Germany manage to go?

17. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

isn't ina more about lack of funds

and Germany too much money?

I dont know .

18. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    How about the likes of Yang Yang and Zhao Jianhua who seem to last much longer than those of today? I think that will have to do with training styles instead then?

19. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    what do you mean?????? :confused:

20. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Dont mean anything, everyone knows Germans are flush with money and incomes are very high.

They are the few people who can afford to invest in badminton knowing most of it will never come back.

Other people tend to watch the bottom line carefully ie. getting back money invested.