String straightener?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by vienly, Jan 31, 2013.

1. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    After stringing a few rackets I noticed my strings are straight compared to ones done professionally, although I've read in this forum that it doesn't matter too much.

How do people straightener their strings after stringing their racket? Is there a tool or technique to make it look more aligned?

2. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    yes there is, it's widely available where I live, but probably not in London though.

look up "hands".

Very useful tool to have around you at all times. highly recommended. In fact, I have 2. One I use more regularly, and another as backup.

3. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    lol I guess Drill-Sergeant Troll-Face does fit the description.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    always straighten each string on every pull.

there are a few good reasons for it.

1. most important reason. straigtening a tensioned string will cause it to lose tension. if you wait till you are done, then you will suddenly lose a bunch of tension on the cross strings. so it is best to form the habit of straigtening while you pull (on a crank) or straighten during pull on a constant pull.

2. less friction -> easier job. during the tension process, there is one less neighboring string pull on the cross string. this result in less friction and is easier to straighten. in fact, just a small nudge is all you need.

3. while tensioning, your hand is not doing anything anyway, so use that time to straighten the string instead of having another procedure in the end, saves time.

so always form a habit of straightening the string as you tension each one of them. and yes, use your fingers.

you can see me doing that in this video. around 10:00 onwards.

[video=youtube;SnYS7EK0QV8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnYS7EK0QV8[/video]

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

My clamp bases have enough play in them to leave me with some bent crosses even when they're straightened in situ. I spend a good 2-3 mins after each job "squaring up".

I did consider mocking something up to do this job - it'd be like a comb-cum-rake, and you'd just shove it against a cross and it would straighten. Anybody with a bandsaw could make one in about ten minutes:).

6. Randomlegend

Randomlegend Regular Member

School
    In my practice runs, I've been finishing the mains, tying them off and then starting the crosses. I see you tension all the mains, Kwun, then thread a couple of crosses, tie all three off and then carry on. I've seen this on other videos as well.

Why is this?

7. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    If you do make something like that and it works, send me the ebay link and I'll buy one :)

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there is a shared hole at C10. leaving it untied while threading 2 cross saves a little bit of agony. that's all.

9. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    How comes you use a flying clamp instead of the fix clamps for the cross?

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I thread the top five crosses while the (loose) mains are there - makes A7, A9 and A11 easier.

11. riceman101

riceman101 Regular Member