Yonex Voltric Omega VS Yonex ArcSaber 008 VS Yonex ArcSaber FB

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Crashz, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Crashz

Crashz Regular Member

Student
    First of all, thank you for this forum, I registered a few days ago and this is really helping me.

Second of all, sorry if I miss spell something, my english is not perfect, in fact, it is pretty bad I think.

Now, let's go to the point, I hope you can help me, cause I'm sure all of you are more experienced than me in badminton!

I play badminton in my school (the School Sports competition) for 6 years, but 2 years ago I started training for real. The school where I train is about to become a Badminton Club, so, probably I'm going to start playing national championships.

I think my shoes are good for badminton (Adidas Super Sala), but my racket is a bit too heavy (2U - 90g), and at the end of a badminton game, I feel that I have no force on my arm, that I can't play more, I feel my arm kinda heavy. By the way, my racket is Babolat Boost Magic 5, with Yonex BG 65 string.
    So I talked to my trainer, and I started using the new rackets of my school, Yonex ArcSaber 002, and I loved it! I'll sell my racket and buy a new one, that's why I need to know, which type of racket is best for my style of playing.

I have these 3 in my mind:
    Yonex Voltric Omega (100€ in my country, because it is a voltric and a local shop is selling these);
    Yonex ArcSaber 008 (72€ cause of a promotion, because it is probably similar but a bit better than the ArcSaber 002, and it is currently being selled in a trusty on-line shop from my country);
    Wait till the Yonex ArcSaber FB (cause it is ArcSaber, love the design, and love to increase the speed of my smash).

But I have some fears:
    Yonex Voltric Omega: Being worse than the ArcSaber 002, and more expensive;
    Yonex ArcSaber FB: Being a 73g racket, makes me fear, for example, I want to make a clear, I'll use too many strength, and I'm scared I won't be used to it..

1. How often do you play, how serious are you?
    I play twice a week! And I really want to be a good badminton player, one of the bests of my country, bests of the world if I can.

2. What style of player are you? (Aggressive smasher, net player ...)
    I think I'm an aggressive smasher, whenever I have the opportunity to smash, even if I got more than 50% chance to fail, I smash. But depends on the opponent, if I have to play with my brain, than I prefer net style, and defending style.

3. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance?
    I care about durability, really, I don't want to spend money on a racket and then just because I hit the shuttle outside the string of the racket, it breaks.

4. How much money do you want to spend?
    I want to spend, a maximum of 150€ (around 130£ and 205$), but I prefer to spend less of course :D

Thanks for everything!

2. Crashz

Crashz Regular Member

Student
    And by the way, I saw it wrong before, today I was at that local shop, and instead of 'Voltric Omega' it is 'Voltric Omega Pro'

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

The FB will probably be much more expensive than the other two, it is a high end Yonex model. I would let others experiment with it first on this forum ;). Secondly you should usually avoid Yonex models with Greek letters [​IMG] ...
    ArcSaber 008 could be an option and you could get two with your budget ... OR you get some good shoes instead of a second racket :p.

But with that budget you have all kinds of options ... ArcSaber 10 for example and different brands. Other than your playing style ("aggresive") your (arm) swing also matters for racket choice (compact or big swing, fast or slow swing, good technique or not) ...

4. Crashz

Crashz Regular Member

Student
    So the FB will probably be more expensive than my budget right?

Thanks for the advice on the Yonex with Greek letters :D

All kinds of options, maybe you people could advice me something good with my budget and I don't know what else to say about my play style, and by the way, ArcSaber 10 is on my budget? :eek:
    I've only seen that racket in the local shop that is selling Omega Pro, and it is way higher than my max budget! (215€)

5. Crashz

Crashz Regular Member

Student
    Oh and sorry for double post, but I dont find any edit button o.o
    Anyway, yea, I think i'm a fast swinger, and my technique isn't perfect, but it isn't really bad too!

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Can only edit within 15 minutes after posting ;)

I think you should find another store :D. Those prices are way too high ... following Yonex recommended sales price. Most stores sell for 25-30% less than that. ArcSaber 10 is ~ €140 here in Holland, Arc FB may be €150 or something. There will also be ArcSaber 11 this year and it is replacing ArcSaber 10 so there might be some sales on ArcSaber 10 in the next months ... So it depends on where you can buy your rackets to make different recommendations as well. You really can buy a lot with that budget ... maybe look around on this website: http://www.tennistown.de/index.php?cPath=25_135 shipping to POrtugal costs 15 euro.

#6 demolidor, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  7. Crashz

Crashz Regular Member

Student
    Oh but that store ships to another country? I'm from portugal.
    And I'm not in a very hurry, although I see really good prices on that shop. With ArcSaber 002 I can do really good, so with the 10 or 11 I should be fine too, like the FB.
    But maybe, for a starter, that is too much isnt it?

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yes they ship all over the world including Portugal (cost to Portugal is 15 euro with DHL). You can start with Arc002 yes if you liked it that much and save some money to buy shoes later again for example. Futsal shoes really are not good for badminton ...

9. Crashz

Crashz Regular Member

Student
    What about buying a Voltric 5-7-9 for example? And then, on my birthday, some Yonex shoes too.
    I'd really like to try Voltric, but maybe these 'lower' models aren't so good.
    My trainer said that ArcSaber isn't too good btw

10. sayshh

sayshh Regular Member

If you do well with Arc 002, it could be that you are most comfortable with flexible and even-balance rackets. If you upgrade to stiffer rackets like Arc 10, you may find it difficult initially, and will have to change your technique.

Voltrics are head-heavy too and bit stiffer than the Arc 002. Again, you will need some to adapt your play style to suit the HH and stiffer flex.

Given that you seem to be young, you will find it easy to adapt and change. I'd suggest one of the Voltrics, VT 5 if you play more of singles and VT 7 for more of doubles. Good luck!

11. Crashz

Crashz Regular Member

Student
    I play more for singles, and yes I'm young, I'm 17 years old! Allways wanted to try voltric, seems powerful just by the name :D
    Maybe I'll record my playing style, therefore people can help me better, but as you said, I'm young, I'm still on time to change my play style.
    Going to talk to my trainer about buying a Voltric!
    Thanks!

12. Kingslayer

Kingslayer Regular Member

N/A
    You can also take a look at the brave sword series from victor. From what you are describing yourself as, the bravesword 10 would be the best fit for you. Slightly head heavy, stiff flex and it can go up to 28lbs of tension, so it will be able to change as you progress in skill:)