Need Advise Relating Low Back Pain: Degenerative Disc Disease [DDD]
Dear all BCMembers,
As the title says, i (on my 28 yrs) am having a continuously annoying back pain known as Degenerative Disc Disease, apparently located on lumbar disc. Haven't been examined by doctors nor anyone. i know this because all the pre and post symptoms matches to the article about this specific case.
1. A sudden pain felt like being stabbed or shot, caused myself faint and days of paralyzed on bed (happened June 2012). Causes: sneezes!
2. Absent from badminton routine for nearly 2 months, before able to resume the activity from Sept - Dec 2012.
3. End of December, i felt the pain slowly and gradually... thus Post-Symptoms happened everyday afterwards.
1. The low back pain is generally made worse with sitting, since in the seated position the lumbosacral discs are loaded three times more than standing
2. Certain types of activity will usually worsen the low back pain, especially bending, lifting and twisting
3. Walking, and even running, may actually feel better than prolonged sitting or standing
4. Patients will generally feel better if they can change positions frequently, and lying down is usually the best position since this relieves stress on the disc space.
5. The pain is neither getting worse nor better for about 3 weeks now. It remains at the same level, a little more painful when i reflexively twisting my body during defensive shots or jumping or running... or any movement in badminton.
The article related to this specific case don't suggest for surgery nor taking any medical treatment since it will gradually be okay after 3 months. It also says routine exercise should be maintained BUT nowhere in the article mentions if badminton exercises (which requires a lot of reflex, body-twisting, jumping, and running) are okay.
Any suggestion will be appreciated regarding:
1. Should i take a long break from badminton activities (2-4 months)?
2. Wearing a WAIST SHIELD while playing, would it really helpful?
3. For those who already encountered this DDD, what are the best ways to get healed faster without seeing doctors?
I got the same thing. All of the post symptoms and your reasons are exactly how I feel. Mt friend has it too. It's very common I think.
1) Yes. Because there is quick movement and you need to bend forwards. My doctor advised to stop.
2) Yes. It is called a 'brace'. You strap it around your waist. It stiffens the area giving support to your spine so that it take less stress. But for lower spine like your case and mine, there is a limit to how low you can wear this strap which is troublesome. I got mine at NTUC pharmacy for $63 (on sale in Singapore). I find that it helps but you need to decide for yourself. http://www.futuro-usa.com/wps/portal...5148329&rt=rud
3) You need to consult your doctor to monitor your condition. However, if you are unable to do so, you might recover faster if you do not sit down ie lie on your back or stand up, and keep taking the vitamin B pills that your doctor will give you. In order to do this you will need to see a doctor at least once to get the pills.
Last edited by featherbeater; 03-21-2013 at 04:36 AM.