Materials used in technology of badminton rackets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by not a real user, Feb 3, 2013.

1. not a real user

not a real user Regular Member

Can anyone help me on what type of materials are used in the titanium alloys like ultimum ti or materials used in technologies such as the new NEO CS CARBON NANOTUBE? thx :D

2. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Things like "Elastic Ti", are almost certainly Titanium-Nickel alloy (aka "Nitinol"), selected for its superelasticity. Titanium mesh is also used on its own sometimes, where it adds weight and strength to specific areas (usually at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions, where the extra weight improves stability). With their "triple threat" rackets, Prince started using much heavier materials such as Tungsten to add even more weight (Yonex copied this idea in their Voltric series).

As far as all the nano-technology goes, it's anyone's guess. It's basically like when you buy a shampoo containing royal jelly, jojoba oil, citrus extracts etc - they probably make up about 1% of what goes into the racket, have no discernible effect whatsoever (maybe a slight placebo effect), and are really only there for marketing purposes.

3. not a real user

Thanks man I really appreciate the info, anyway, do you know of any sources or articles which can benefit my qn? :)

4. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

5. not a real user

Does anyone know what sonic metal is made up of?

6. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

according to yonex its just one of their titanium alloys. exact composition? no one knows, but they probably had experimented with different alloys to decide which was preferable in their design

SONIC METAL
    SONIC METAL is a very strong, flexible and light weight new titanium alloy utilized by Yonex at the top of the frame. This yields high repulsion power, especially in an offense. Furthermore, it generates a clear hitting sound.

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Funny you mention this one right now, was just thinking about it: would be quite a feature if it would turn vibration into sound :D

8. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

But sound is vibration, so I'm not entirely clear on how that would be 'quite a feature'...

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Hehe, got me there. I meant like a sort of dampening feature ... focus the vibration/excess(?) kinetic energy in the rest of the racket towards that area instead of to your handle and your body. I am not talking about the actual workings of Yonex Sonic Metal but a fantasy feature that may or may not even be possible irl.
    As for the actual stuff in rackets there has already been a thread in the previous year which should still be around in which the op could have continued (which is why I am rambling on fantasy feature as this is yet another duplicate thread ;))

#9 demolidor, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  10. not a real user

What's the link of the thread?

11. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    I'm not sure how much this will help, but it's quite interesting reading: http://www.bmshop.my/content/7-yonex-technology

My favourite is the Power Armor System which: "integrates the…gravitational acceleration…properties of Titanium".
    Translation: It's heavy! :D