Victor preferred - Racket Recommend Please!

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Linsanity, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Linsanity

Linsanity Regular Member

Hi guys,

I recently started getting back into the game after 4 years and would like recommendations for a new racket. I would say I am intermediate level.

I'm willing to spend only on a quality racket in the upper limits of $200 as long as I am happy with it.

I like smashing and am currently using my old Yonex AT900 Power 4U. However, I am finding that that it's probably a bit too head heavy for my liking and I am not smashing with a fast enough swing to utilize its power. My backhand also needs some more accuracy improvement. Defense wise I do find it okay. I also like its stiffness and can probably even handle something even stiffer.

So I really hope someone would give me some racket recommendations to add as my 2nd racket so I can use my AT900Power as a backup. I was going to buy MX80 but after reading reviews of it being quiet head heavy I am having second thoughts. Is the MX80 head heavier than AT900Power? I do hope to have a stronger smash in the future so I am willing to settle with something slightlt more head heavy so I can improve my accuracy. I have a preference for Victor though I will consider other brands like Li ning and Yonex.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your recommendations! =)

2. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I would suggest the 80, 70, London and JJS but I find the JJS the best feeling for myself out of the lot

3. Linsanity

Linsanity Regular Member

Thanks for your recommendations Ch1k0. Do you think you could briefly describe the differences between the 5 rackets like how they are different from another? Thanks again.

4. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Well from my experience I've only tried the 80, 70, JJS and AT900P but all in 3UG2/5(For the 900P)

Well in terms of stiffness would be the 80 -> JJS -> 70/AT900P But the AT900P seems to flex a bit more with the extra head weight.

Speed would be 80 -> JJS -> 70 -> AT900P Hands down the octable frame is just faster than the AT frame. Shaft stiffness plays a part too.

Power for my play style would be the JJS -> 80 -> AT900P -> 70 The MX 70 is definitely a decent powerhouse but it never felt good when I played with it and I could never adapt to it in order to fully maximise its potential.

Anything else you want to know? Easier to get a more specific question so I can search my memories for a better answer :eek:

5. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

You might find the MX-80 too stiff. I would stay away from the London and JJS as they are limited edition gimmicks more than anything else. I don't know too much about the MX-60 but my impression is that it might be the best equivalent to the AT-900P (the MX-80 is much stiffer than the 900P). I actually don't cosider the 900P to be that stiff. Also, I know it might be counter intuitive but you might want to try to get your hands on a 3U AT-900P. You might be suprised, I was in your situation and instead of having to slow a swing as I thought, it turned out the racquet was too light.

I own both the 900P and the MX-80. I've never bothered to measure the actual BPs (waste of time IMO) but to me the 900P plays with a much more head heavy feel than the MX-80.

6. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I would have to frankly disagree with that statement in regards to the JJS. The graphene at the T joint definitely makes a difference in playability. Plus the shaft stiffness is most definitely in between the 80 and 70. It makes for an excellent all round racket for both doubles and singles.

7. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    you mentioned you think your racket is a bit too head heavy for you yet you want to settle with something more head heavy, i'm sorta confused. but if your racket is a bit too head heavy might i suggest the at900t instead because to me it's a bit less head heavy. yes it's still a YY but maybe this switch will render you less time to adjust than other rackets?

for victor, a slightly head lighter racket but still head heavy to me is the bravesword 11. the superwave 35 is a nice racket and not too head heavy (to me at least) but it does have a very stiff shaft according to some on BC. another sorta head heavy racket is the spira 21 which a lot of people undermind but i find a great replacement of the superwave 35 which could be an alternative, just my thoughts.

8. Linsanity

Linsanity Regular Member

What I said might have been confusing, I guess I should have omitted that sentence where I wanted something slightly more head heavy as I meant it in comparison to my perfect likely for my current power/abilities so that I can get more use to head heavy rackets.

Anyways, to sum I would like to try something not as head heavy as AT900Power and more stiffer flex.

Thanks again.

9. soulsync

soulsync Regular Member

I would suggest MX80 mainly for its directness in play.
    Head heaviness wise IMO is lighter than JJS (swing weight)
    Owned most of the MX series except 70 and all results in 305bp with AC102EX over original grip.
    Go for the lightest 3U weight range for MX80 and you'll be surprise :)
    The downside ... shaft stiffness might be an issue at times hahaha

10. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Yonex : Voltric Z Force 4U,
    Victor : MX 80

11. karyaw

karyaw Regular Member

Students
    anyelse racket can have the directness in mx80? cause i am using mx80. nothing suffer for my muscles or pain. But just get easy tired. Anything can i use to improve? Thanks

12. karyaw

karyaw Regular Member

Students
    FYI, mx80 i dont feel head heavy. Just is a extreme stiff racket =D

13. soulsync

soulsync Regular Member

My way of avoiding tiredness is play more on drives and placement with less wild smahes. Only smash when opportunity comes. Had a rubber set 15pt double game with MX80 before and stoned after the whole thing hahaha now having BS LYD as alternative when tired

14. karyaw

karyaw Regular Member

Students
    hahaa..really love the mx80 very much. Looking to solve the tiredness

15. thunder.tw

If this is true, that your swing is not fast enough, moving to a stiffer racquet will not help this situation at all especially if you are talking about 4U. My gut is telling me you should be going for the MX-60 but I've only played one rally with it so I can't recommend it to you based on my lack of experience. I switch between the MX-80 and the AT-900p all the time and you will not get more power out of the MX-80 without changing your swing.

BTW, I don't consider the AT-900P to be a particularly stiff racquet.

16. Linsanity

Linsanity Regular Member

How does the 900P head weight feel compared to the MX-80? Does it feel heavier or light? Do you feel smashes easier to control in the 900P or MX-80? I would greatly appreciate your feedback!

But yea, I don't feel the 900P is stiff enough for my liking. It just feels very head heavy. I do feel really inclined to get the MX-80 because of everyone's raving reviews, but I'm afraid it might be too similar to the 900P.

17. karyaw

karyaw Regular Member

Students
    so far head does not feel too heavy for me. The thing i can know is that Victor mx80 is extra stiff. Even stiffer than zforce. As many people said that mx80 is the stiffest racket among yonex, kason and etc.

18. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    The problem is not with the racket. But it relies to the user. Improve your stamina.

19. karyaw

karyaw Regular Member

Students
    yea..agree..i not saying the racket problem haha..need to improve my stamina too.

20. thunder.tw

The MX-80 feels much less head heavy than the 900P. I actually find smashes easier to control and hit with the 900P. The MX-80 feels like a faster racquet but I don't consider it all that powerfull a racquet compared to other head heavy racquets. I really like the MX-80 for doubles but I wouldn't dream of using it in singles.

This is where you confuse me a bit. You mentioned that your swinge is slow. If this is the case a stiffer racquet will be detrimental to you unless you change your swing.

Everyone's raving reviews is a terrible reason to buy a raquet you should really make the best effort you can into finding one you can try before you buy one. That said, you have nothing to worry about, the MX-80 feels nothing like the 900P.