Please help on deciding the correct grip size...

Discussion in 'Grip' started by quixilver, Feb 4, 2013.

1. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

I am always confused on deciding the proper size of my racket's grip. I have one Yonex Arc10 (G5) and I wrapped the original grip using a Toalson Asterisk (0.7mm) overgrip with 50% overlapping. The other racket is Victor LYD (G2), I removed the original grip and wrapped it up with two layers of Toalson Power Grip (0.7mm) with 50% overlapping each. In the end, I got my Arc10 has a slightly bigger grip compared to my LYD.

I tested both rackets last night to try out various shots during some warm ups and exercises. I found that the LYD with a smaller grip was easier to handle and I can easily change my grip from the basic to bevel to thumb to pan-handle variously but it felt a bit unstable as it can be easily rotated by a simple movement and I had more error shots compared to the Arc10 with bigger grip. OTOH, I found that the bigger grip is more stable to execute power shots like smashes and clears. However, it didn't do as good on more delicate strokes like net or drop shots.

My palm length is ±19.5cm from the base of the hand at the wrist crease to the tip of my middle finger. My friend told me to get used to the smaller grip as it can provide more shot variations, and as long as I can hold the racket with the basic grip without having my little finger touching the fleshly part on the palm under the base of the little finger, it shouldn't be too small for me. Is this a correct idea ?

I know this issue is very subjective and each preference may vary among players, but is there any general formula or the "rule of thumb" on measuring the proper grip size as a basic guidance ?

2. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    my personal preference is that when i'm gripping the handle, there's a very thin line between my fingers and my palm. that way when i grip the racket hard for a hard shot, my fingers don't dig into my palm. unforunately, because badminton is a racket sport that also requires very delicate touch, it's harder to gauge what grip fits. i have only recently, in the past couple of years switched from 2 overgrips on top of the original grip on a yonex g4, to 1 overgrip over the g4 yonex grip. head rackets runs a little big, and victor rackets runs a little small. i only realized in the past couple weeks that the rackets i've bought from HK are all around yonex g5 size!!! that means i need 2 overgrips.

i feel that smaller grip gives me more wrist movement, bigger grip gives me more power, given that i grip with the same amount of strength.

hope this helps.

3. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

Thanks for the advice gundamzaku... I took a picture of my current grip size as shown below, I can actually touch my palm (the fleshy part below the thumb) with the tip of my middle and my ring finger. Just wondering if the grip size is too small or is it just right. I know it's a matter of one's preference but how about the "common-standard" ?

IMG-20130212-00093.jpg

4. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i think it's more personal preference, so if it's comfortable with you, it should be ok. you could try a bigger grip size by putting on an extra overgrip and see if that works, that's how i found out that smaller grip gives me better wrist movement and bigger grip gives me more power. maybe it's in my head but that's how it works for me at least. :)

5. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

Yeah... I think there's no better way than do my own testing to see how it works but given any proper or better guidelines, I don't mind to adapt for good :rolleyes:

6. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

as others have said, it's pretty much a question of preference. there's no right or wrong.

i play a thin overgrip on the bare wood of the handle (G4).
    others prefer 2 layers of overgrip over the standard grip of a G3 handle.