How to reply to those annoying spinning net tumbles??????????

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by MrBobby33, Feb 5, 2013.

1. MrBobby33

MrBobby33 Regular Member

Hey Guys,

I have been playing a friend of mine, who has recently improved quite a significant amount, and he has started playing tumble net shots. Now, having never been coached on how to spin a shuttle at the net, when I play at county, I literally just change the angle of my racket to get a better angle on the shuttle, and to make it tighter to the net. But now when my friend drops, he does a sort of cross court spin thing that whenever i hit it, goes straightt into the net.
    So i guess my question is, how do I reply to spinning cross net shots???

Bob

2. dffhkhksg

dffhkhksg Regular Member

Either take it earlier or don't let him play those shots. You could also try just a simple drop back so the shot isn't at least an instant-win

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

If his net shot is so tight you can't get it back after the tumble has finished then you have two options:
    - Net brush/kill before shuttle gets below the tape.
    - Don't play a shot that allows him to do this in the first place.

4. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

an extremely high lift can sometimes work, but it's hard to do while its still tumbling.

5. dingolphie

dingolphie Regular Member

IT Manager
    Net kill across the tape of the net - Best option :)
    Play it slightly late, spin it back or do a crosscourt net shot
    High lift - needs a lot of power!

6. ronaldindin

ronaldindin Regular Member

it's really hard if the shuttle is still spinning, most of my friend just do a cross court net. I've personally encounter it many times, tried hard lift to the back of the court but not successful most of them time. We need to learn to do cross court net shot I guess

7. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hi there,

Dealing with a player who is able to perform a spinning net play is always a troublesome encounter. This is because such type of net play is not easy to control as it is spinning while you're addressing it and it is also very tight to the net thus the possibility for an error to occur is likely high. Just imagine if your opponent can perform such net play frequently while playing.Therefore, its advisable that your strategy of play must not allow any room for your opponent to create an optimal preparation to perform such deadly net play and in case he can, your approach must also allow you to create your own opportunity to kill this type of net play at its earliest opportunity along the net cord, if possible, before the spinning starts to take its effect and the birdie has cross fully into your court.

What if you can't address it early and the birdie starts to spin along its downward path inside your court? These are the do and don't that you must do. You must realize the main objective of your approach for such net play are:

- to make sure that such net play that he delivered shouldn't be a winner by itself or opening for a winning opportunity later for him and
    - at the same time also, opening any possible chance for you to still remain in the game with him

Therefore DON'T:

- Don't encounter it with a net play preferably. Your net play outcome will likely just end up its path into the net or predictably high for him to do a net kill
    - If you're going to do a lift, don't perform a lift while the spinning still takes its effect. Your lift will likely goes straight into the net or out.

Then DO:

Theoretically performing a high lift at this point will yield a more higher chance of making your respond a valid one thus increase your chances to still remain in the game with him better than performing a net play but your approach to do this must be correct.
    - Delay your approach when addressing the birdie for a while until the spinning effect has reduced. This approach will likely make how you address the birdie will be slightly late as its already at it end of its path but this is where the spinning effect has reduced and making your control with the birdie will be much better.
    - Your racket head contact to do the lift must be perpendicular with the downward path of the birdie so that your upward swinging motion will allow a higher chance for the birdie to get over the net.
    - Since your approach will be late, most likely that there will be little room for you to do a swing to lift the birdie sufficiently high so, while on the delay mode, make sufficient room in your back swing earlier so that your follow through while making your swing in performing those lift will provide enough strength to lift it high.
    - Lift high to the center of his court preferably since if the birdie strays in any direction along its path, it's still remain valid inside his court to better your chance to still remain in the game. Due to this facts, avoid from lifting to the corner.
    - Lift as high as possible so that you will provide sufficient time for yourself to properly prepare for the next hit from him (which most likely be an attack ).
    - Its also important to know that to better improve your subsequent preparation after your high lift is to already mentally decide to do a lift earlier for such net play rather then at the last moment so that your footwork can properly prepare yourself for the subsequent hit from your opponent.

SS

8. visor

visor Regular Member

As usual, SS has an excellent reply. :) Also important is to think back how was your opponent allowed to do this shot in the first place. Usually from a poorly made net or drop shot on your part. Hence practice your drops and net shots until they're perfect and just over the tape. ;)

9. charliebadders

charliebadders Regular Member

student
    practice tumbling a tumble. To do this you must tumble the shuttle the opposite way in which it is already been tumbled, so if the shuttle is spinning one way you must hit it to reverse the spin. learning not to let your opponent tumble is good for short term results but in the long run opponents will exploit your weakness. Also, play faster drop as it is hard to tumble a fast drop and your opponent is likely to play a flat net shot from a low position, which you can then tumble or push him to the back. Also, try and reply a tumble at the highest point possible as this gives you a greater angle to lift and gives your opponent less time to do get in position for a net kill if you reply with a tumble.