newer = cheaper?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by bokuwoof, Feb 5, 2013.

1. bokuwoof

bokuwoof Regular Member

IT
    Hi.

In my local shop Victor BS 15 is selling about US$20 cheaper than BS 12. I understand that they are different rackets, but why the price difference? If anything, within the same level/range models, 2010-launched BS 12 should be cheaper than 2012-launched BS 15, right? Or did I miss anything?

Could be because of the smaller frame design. A more likely explanation is the BS 12 is still more popular than the BS 15 hence market value does not depreciate over the years, but nothing confirms this. I wonder if there any other explanation.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    price is a function of demand and supply. not a function of new or old. :)

3. decoy

decoy Regular Member

I've never seen a pro using a bs-15 but I've seen plenty using the bs-12 so it's probably a lot more popular

4. bokuwoof

bokuwoof Regular Member

IT
    That makes sense.

5. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

Hi... Just wondering, how much do they sell the BS-15 in Indonesia/Jakarta ?

I'm so interested to find how this racket performs. In the Victor's racket map, it's shown less head-heavy but stiffer compared to the BS-LYD.

http://www.victorsport.com/files/idc/upload/images/Product/Rackets mapping.jpg

Quite difficult to find the review for this racket, perhaps it's not as popular as its older brother, BS-12. Hence the price doesn't really compete as well ... :confused:

6. bokuwoof

bokuwoof Regular Member

IT
    Selling for about Rp 1,200,000 to Rp 1,300,000 in Surabaya.

Brother let me tell you something about racket reviews: don't spend too much time reading reviews!

A racket is not like a (general, not custom/racing, more like MPVs) car, which comes with pretty much standardized usage situation (most likely you won't change its stock tires, shock-absorbers, base seats, engine, etc) hence if somebody told you a certain car has got good acceleration, comfortable ride, you'd probably experience around the same experience the reviewer had when he/she tested the car.

Not the case with badminton rackets, where you have too many contributing factors to account for: type of string used, tension used, grip thickness (PU or towel), shuttlecock used (feather/plastic), time spent on testing, reviewer's proneness to placebo effect, and ultimately the personal preference/skill/experience of the reviewer. Those factors WILL contribute to the reviewer's experience during testing to a somewhat greater degree, which means his reviews may/may not be relevant for you (think shoe size or bra size or bust size preference).

Believe me, if you delve deeper into the forum, you will encounter contradicting reviews/opinions that will even confuse you more! :confused:

You can try to swing the racket in the store, you can get the general feeling of the racket (speed, head-heaviness, dry weight), but you won't be able to grasp a more realistic idea of how the racket performs FOR YOU on the court (no string, no grip, no shuttlecock to hit, no friend to feed you, no score, no real situation pressure). People talk numbers (weight, bp) but after all, what matters is how it fits you in your game.

Simply put, it's good to read some comments from reviewers but if you couldn't find any, borrow from friends, and try it yourself in a game. Only then can you judge if this is the racket for you or not.

Nobody to borrow from? Just bite the bullet and buy it. Should you find the racket to be not for you, bite another bullet, sell it, repeat step no 1 :p

I know I am going to bite my bullet and the BS-15, but not because I bought what people said on this thread http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/106543-Victor-Brave-Sword-15, but simply because I like the paint job.

Victor says it has got explosive power, but I took it with a grain of salt, because that applies only if I can manage to handle it correctly (BS-15 got a smaller frame, more oval form), otherwise, that's just meaningless bullsh*t.

There, I have liberated you from hours spent being unproductive on this forum. You're welcome! :D

7. colefaok

colefaok New Member

CEO
    i think so,price is a function of demand and supply. not a function of new or old.thank you [​IMG]

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Just because it has a higher number or is newer doesn't mean the RRP has to be higher as well. Price may be a function of demand and supply in theory but but initially it is about product positioning ;) ...

9. bokuwoof

bokuwoof Regular Member

IT
    Alright point taken. Let's close this thread. How do we do that?