Wrist training with a tennis racket

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by shiriblue, Oct 31, 2003.

1. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    I don't know if this has been posted before but here it is:

I was at work, I work at a city run tennis center (don't grill me about it, i still like baddy better :D ) Anyways, my co-workers and i were playing baddy in the proshop. Then one of my co-workers picked up an adult sized tennis racket and started to play. I put my racket down and took at junior size racket made for 4 year olds. Its about 21" long and the handle is about G4. I started to play and found that I could his decently while training my wrist. Thought I'd share it with you guys. :)

2. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

i know a few people that use tennis rackets to train their wrists, i've even tried it before. it's a good alternative if you don't have a squash racket.

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I'm using a stick that weighs around 2 kg to train my wrist. Better alternative than rakets and its cheaper.

4. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    What have you got your stick strung at? :):D:)

5. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

i've played entire games with tennis racquets before... and to be honest it's not that bad. Your swing may be slower but it's impossible to miss!

6. Dill

Dill Regular Member

I picked up a tennis racket once to hit a tennis ball and nearly broke my wrist, how do you manage with the added weight?

One training technique is to get some free weights and a smaller bar (I think dumbell), you put the smallest weight on one end and secure it and motion your shots, ie. overhead and drives etc. Once you are acustomed to the weight you can move up but there are not many badminton rackets weighing 2.5lbs.

If you have a copy of "Physical training for badminton" you can gain a whole wealth of information about specific training and how to specify.

The only problem with the book is that it is a bit dated and out of print waiting on a re-issue some time soon by the IBF

7. ants

ants Regular Member

hahah its just a stick. Its a martial art equipment i don't know what it called. Good think its small , grip size around G4.

8. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Is it one of those small sticks that you come in pairs for fighting, or one of those sword shaped ones with a defined handle?

It may be a good idea to somehow plain down two sides so they are flat so it emulates your grip so you can move it in your fingers like you would your racket.

9. ants

ants Regular Member

Yup it does come in pairs. But not swordshaped. Its hard to plain down the sides. Anyway i've just started doing this for few weeks. I can see that my drives and defence is much better than before. Smashes also very powerful. Used to think that At700 3U is heavy and slow in respond due to the weight. But now not anymore , i think my arm and wrist is much stronger.

10. ruth1

ruth1 Regular Member

Student Athlete
    This may not have happened just due to the weight, but due to the fact you're a badminton player and not a tennis player. In tennis, it's almost considered a sin to use your wrist in most strokes, it's more arm. But in badminton it's a lot of wrist. I know that happened to me when I thought I could play any racket sport. I wanted to hit a tennis ball and I used a lot of wrist. That was 4 years ago and I've never attempted it since :D

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    yeah... using lots of wrist in tennis would have been very counterproductive. Even when training wrist/forearm strength using squash racquet, I was told not to do too much except side arm drives. Very likely to overdo it and injury myself.

#11 cappy75, Nov 1, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2003
  12. ants

ants Regular Member

Don't play tennis using your wrist. You might get into trouble. unless if your doing netplay or drop.

13. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    only use wrist when you're serving or doing an overhead serve style. otherwise you risk breaking your wrist.

14. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Well at the time I didn't know anything about tennis, I was a "beginner" and transfered my badminton skills across and because the racket was quite light I used the strength in my wrist and paid the price. The shock I got going up my arm after the tennis racket droped out of my hand was unbelievable.

NEVER AGAIN:eek:

15. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    or you coulda used 2 hands on boths sides like i do