2013 EUROPEAN Mixed Team Championships (12th-17th February, Ramenskoe-RUS)

Discussion in '2013 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

I'm pretty sure Denmark will win this once again. They are just too strong for the rest of Europe.

2. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Well, I think this year Germany have a better chance against Denmark than last year, but I think the Danes will do it once again.

3. Ton-Min-Bad

I can't see Germany winning any of the doubles. MS is also rather unlikely. So how could they come up with 3 points? It's really difficult.

4. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Russia could be the biggest challengers for Denmark gold

5. Ton-Min-Bad

^For Germany, yes. But not for Denmark, I guess.

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Hehe, indeed. They can compete with Germany for the opportunity to challenge Denmark :D. England cannot be ruled out either, depends on who actually make the trip for Denmark with so many withdrawals at their national championship this week (maybe as precaution?).
    Russia is simply at a weak state now even if they are playing at home ...

7. Ton-Min-Bad

Just read that Jonas Rasmussen prepared Germany as a guest coach for the upcoming Mixed Team Championships...

8. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    kinda surprised by the draw format : the 4 first seeded countries only have 2 opponents while the other groups include 4 teams !

9. Ton-Min-Bad

^Isn't it always like that? The unseeded ones have to work harder than the seeded ones in order to succeed. Sometimes I also wonder on what argument this principle is based on, if it's really fair in the end...?

10. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    it should be fair, as long as the seeded teams are seeded because their players are supposed to have made more efforts in order to be ranked higher..i think this is the logic (quite indirect, arguably) on which the draw format is based.

anyways, that could also be interesting to fill the missing slots in group 1-4 by four additional national teams !

11. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

Agreed,
    MD: Boe/Mo
    XD: Fischer/Pedersen
    WD: Juhl/Pedersen

To me, those pairs consistently compete at a level well above any other European pair (that I can think of).

12. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    right ! (even if Boe and Mogensen may not be in their best shape as they were reported sick this week, reason why they withrew the Danish Nationals), and even in singles, Jan O Jorgensen and Tine Baun look pretty unbeatable...who could challenge those ?

Looking at the stats, in Europe Tine only has a negative H2H against Yao Jie, Xu Huaiwen, Pi Hongyan, but dominates Juliane Schenk.
    Jan Jorgensen has likely no 2H2 challenger in Europe right now...

13. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

Agreed on JOJ, but I think Schenk has it in her to beat Tine. I've seen some good performances from Schenk in the last year, whilst I've been less than impressed in the few times I've seen Tine. Other than against Schenk I would have Tine as a big favourite, kinda irrelevant though when the rest of the Denmark team is so strong. :eek:

14. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Boe/Mo have had some very close matches with Adcock/Ellis but the rest of England don't match up very well, but ...

"Lars Uhre, the National Coach of Europe's strongest badminton country, talks exclusively to badmintoneurope.com about the 2013 European Mixed Team Championships in Ramenskoe, his decision to leave Jan Ø. Jørgensen and Tine Baun at home and the 40-year old shares his opinion of the standard of European badminton."

http://badmintoneurope.com/cms/default.aspx?clubid=4685&m=603231&cmsid=239&pageid=5381

15. Ton-Min-Bad

^Baun and Jorgensen are listed as players though...

16. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    that's damn risky ! Karina Jorgensen could be upset by many girls in the european circuit...
    So who's gonna play in MS now ? Vittinghus or Axelsen ? That should be Axelsen if they want to let the young gain experience...

17. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Dutch Team diary - Part 1 [​IMG]

The European Championship for national mixed teams begins on Tuesday in Russian Ramenskoe. The Netherlands is joining the party and play in the group stage against Hungary, Luxembourg and Switzerland. International Jorrit de Ruiter maintains a diary from Russia. Read part 1 below.

"Sunday morning 04.00h. and the alarm sounds. The first app by Selena in the team groupchat [whatsapp] signals the day to come: "honestly, this is crap".

All in all the two flights, apart from a relaunch in Vienna, went smoothly. Once in Moscow the fun began. The bus driver, tasked with bringing us and some other countries to the hotel, supposedly comes from Siberia and has the mind of a paramecium. He drives us, in a bus held together with scotch tape, across the most obscure snow covered country roads. Several times we almost tipped over and we come to a standstill. The dirt covered windows obstruct our view and even the driver starts having trouble with his view. Solution: get out, make a huge snowball, throw it against the windshield and let the wipers do the rest!

After a three hour drive, supposedly 45 minutes on TomTom beforehand, we arrive at the place of destination: the super luxury Hilton of Ramenskoe, Saturn Hotel. To make a long story short, we have survived the first night and are about to go practice. Tomorrow at 10:00 we play against Luxembourg."

http://www.badminton.nl/nieuws/topbadminton/dagboek_ek_landenteams_een_zware_heenreis

#18 demolidor, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  18. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

^ Hahaha Petr Koukal said something similar about the quality of the hotel, or rather lack of qualities.

19. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

A lot of players are always entered just to have option of choosing at the last moment instead of at the deadline of entry. Not all countries can afford to take a big squad and results at the national championships can be a decider on who to take or who won the spot.
    But Denmark always send the backups first for the group stage and add a few of their best in the knockouts but as per the article Uhre is keeping it a secret who the reinforcements will be. First matches should give us a good clue. But if you have already stated these two will not come it would be a sign of weakness to fly them over anyway :D ...

Here is the actual squad list for the moment (so no backups this time around, probably too costly all the way to Russia instead of Holland; figured they would play Kjaersfeldt WS rather than Karina Jorgensen. Rohde also in the ws talent project):

Men:
    Viktor Axelsen, Odense OBK
    Mathias Boe, Odense OBK
    Rasmus Bonde, Aarhus AB
    Mads Conrad-Petersen, Skovshoved IF
    Carsten Mogensen, Skovshoved IF
    Joachim Fischer Nielsen, Skælskør Badminton Club
    Hans-Kristian Vittinghus, Skælskør Badminton Club

Women:
    Kamilla Rytter Juhl, Greve Badminton Club
    Line Kjærsfeldt, Aarhus AB
    Line Kruse, Gentofte Badminton Club