User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First thing first, the side frame supports are on the arms not hanging out of the arms. It is worth every penny to get that universal five-prong clamps after you've spent so much. It is easier to adjust and eliminate the chance of damaging string.
    A string mover is handy in making room for block grommet hole; pulling the string.
    At the meantime, there is a thread on how to adjust the clamp for various size of strings.
    Using flying clamps may save time at least on average of 22 locking and 22 unlocking the clamps.
    The racket shouldn't be distorted with same tension on both ways. But with 10% increment on horizontal string, there is certain distortion in controlled and balanced manner. Main vertical string should be strung alternative sides not complete one side then the other later.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ant01 View Post
    Stringing my first racquet which is also the very first racquet that I bought. Strung @22.5lbs but it feels tighter than my local shops 26lbs which is a crank.
    Attachment 137655

You can see the modification to the racquet side clamp that we tried...although I'm not too comfortable with it since that racquet was distorted when it was taken out, he says it's from the string snapping (my bro's one)
    Attachment 137654

My bro stringing @26.5lbs, although he's already snapped the string twice! Once because of a sharp grommet and another because of some clamp problem.
    Attachment 137653

Lessons already learnt:
    • make sure the clamps are always tight enough (string and racquet)
    • make sure the clamp on the tensioner is tight enough (BG66UM kept slipping off at first)
    • make sure you always lock fixed clamps in place after tensioning the string
    • check grommets for damage before stringing
    • for the Wise tensioner you have to lock the string in place by pushing the plates towards the racquet (honestly had no idea about this at the start) and can press the small red button to tension
    • you can turn the Wise tensioner sound off by pressing lbs and down arrow, and I think to turn it on kg and up
    • expect to make many mistakes!
    looks like a good start!

is that the closest you can get the WISE without hitting the turntable? get it as close as possible so you don't need such a big loop to reach the gripper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they are scare of hitting the gripper to the badminton handle. For some players, they have their badminton handles as big as the tennis rackets' ones.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    looks like a good start!

is that the closest you can get the WISE without hitting the turntable? get it as close as possible so you don't need such a big loop to reach the gripper.
    The closer you get the WISE to the turntable, the more downward angle the string will be pulled through, resulting in bigger departure from "true" tension - the WISE pulls horizontally.

If you care about such things, you need to balance the string savings against the tension error.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    The closer you get the WISE to the turntable, the more downward angle the string will be pulled through, resulting in bigger departure from "true" tension - the WISE pulls horizontally.

If you care about such things, you need to balance the string savings against the tension error.
    I actually moved the WISE a bit closer after my first stringing job, since my brother likes to pre-weave so it helps a lot for the WISE to be closer. Although the string is still fairly horizontal when pulled.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    You might want to take the limiter pin out of your WISE's right (viewed from the back) gripper plate; even with the screw wound all the way out, it slips with the thinner badminton strings.
    It seems to be fine so far once I tightened the gripper itself. Seems dodgy pulling out the limiter pin, wouldn't want to break something!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beelebala View Post
    First thing first, the side frame supports are on the arms not hanging out of the arms. It is worth every penny to get that universal five-prong clamps after you've spent so much. It is easier to adjust and eliminate the chance of damaging string.
    A string mover is handy in making room for block grommet hole; pulling the string.
    At the meantime, there is a thread on how to adjust the clamp for various size of strings.
    Using flying clamps may save time at least on average of 22 locking and 22 unlocking the clamps.
    The racket shouldn't be distorted with same tension on both ways. But with 10% increment on horizontal string, there is certain distortion in controlled and balanced manner. Main vertical string should be strung alternative sides not complete one side then the other later.
    I'm not sure how you did it but my side supports don't normally go all the way in for most racquets. Maybe I can adjust something with the side support screw to make it go in deeper but I'm not sure how yet. Mabe your machine is just made better?

Sometimes it gets close when in the normal position, but it's not actually touching as seen below:
    Name:  20130220_195159.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  59.0 KB

I actually received some flying clamps yesterday which I quite like, but I am also exchanging my 3 pronged clamps for the 5 pronged ones that you have. I actually slightly ripped one of my strings yesterday from clamping too tight with the 3 pronged clamp but the string survived

I bought a toolbox along with the machine so I have a cutter, straight plier, string mover and awl. I'm not too confident using the string mover yet though, I'm scared to break something from pulling too hard. Usually using the pliers works fine for shared holes so far.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems to be fine so far once I tightened the gripper itself. Seems dodgy pulling out the limiter pin, wouldn't want to break something!
    It's only a "roll" pin, so if you decide to do it you wouldn't breaking anything; five min disassembly of the gripper plates, then five min rebuild. Just don't lose any of the bearing rollers!

When I first got my WISE I had to use the "business card" solution, but that's so Blue Peter...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we are using the latest version of WISE, so the gripping shouldn't be any problem on fine string like Zymax 62 with 0.62 dia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure how you did it but my side supports don't normally go all the way in for most racquets. Maybe I can adjust something with the side support screw to make it go in deeper but I'm not sure how yet. Mabe your machine is just made better?

Sometimes it gets close when in the normal position, but it's not actually touching as seen below:
    Name:  20130220_195159.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  59.0 KB

I actually received some flying clamps yesterday which I quite like, but I am also exchanging my 3 pronged clamps for the 5 pronged ones that you have. I actually slightly ripped one of my strings yesterday from clamping too tight with the 3 pronged clamp but the string survived

I bought a toolbox along with the machine so I have a cutter, straight plier, string mover and awl. I'm not too confident using the string mover yet though, I'm scared to break something from pulling too hard. Usually using the pliers works fine for shared holes so far.
    This normally happens on 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock of the frame. You are right on the quality of the machine,you try to close both arms of the stands at closing position, you measure each pair of arms to see any difference. If there is a narrower measurement , you marked the stand and use it as racket's head. My two pair of arms of the machine are fractionally difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple solution if those K Frame supports do not reach your badminton racquet. Some card between the adjustment knob which has contact on to the side arm will do the trick, on the underside.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by expert-stringer View Post
    Simple solution if those K Frame supports do not reach your badminton racquet. Some card between the adjustment knob which has contact on to the side arm will do the trick, on the underside.
    I'll give that a go thanks. I've been managing fine without it so far though but one day I'll replace the whole thing with a better quality stand & frame support.

Funnily enough I saw the exact same machine as mine in MBS shop and Hippo Sports in HK but under a different brand. The MBS machine didn't have the same problem as mine but the owner said he had to do some other modifications to get the frame support height the way that he wanted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2