One more newbie need a racket recommedation

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by broncosrul, Feb 9, 2013.

1. broncosrul

broncosrul New Member

I am brand new to badminton. And when I say new, I mean like I have played twice and I don't even think I know all the rules.

However, I think I like it enough to start playing some. Needless to say, I don't have any equipment. I read the sticky about choosing equipment and, considering I am new, I figure I need a somewhat flexible racket will relatively low tension on the strings.

At this point, I am wondering if I should just get a cheap Yonex for about $25-$30, just so I don't have to borrow a racket until I figure out how I play or what I like.

Or would it be better to get something like an Arcsaber 002 for about twice as much, but people say is a good beginner racket. And if something like that is the way to go, most of them come prestrung from the manufacturer. Do they come prestrung with a lower tension that would be acceptable? Or should I add more expense and get it strung the way that was recommended?

Any other racket recommedations would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. sayshh

sayshh Regular Member

$25-30 rackets are normally made of aluminium or steel, they are heavy, have very loose stringing. If you are having keen interest and have plans to play on a regular basis they are not such a good idea.

I would say go for something like Arcsaber 002. That way if you get fairly good in the game you won't have to think of purchasing again. The pre-strung tension is always suitable to start with. Once you get a hang with the pre-strung tension, you will get an idea of when/how to change the strings.

3. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i second the arc002

4. broncosrul

broncosrul New Member

Thank you both for the advice. One more quick question, a local store has the Arcsaber 003 on clearance for about $50. Would the slightly stiffer flex be that big of a difference to a beginner or should I just pay a little extra and get the 002 which is more flexible.

I am not going to be playing more than about 1-2 times per week in a casual game, so I doubt my skill level will shoot up quickly.

5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

nanospeed 100 should be fine too

6. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    I say the cheaper one is fine if its just a casual game, no need to spend more if u don't have to!

7. sayshh

sayshh Regular Member

I think you can go for the cheaper racket, and I think Arc 003 is cheaper because it has been discontinued by Yonex. But that doesn't matter.

You will get used to your first racket pretty easily IMO, regardless of whether it is stiff, mid-flex or flexible. It is the 2nd racket onward where you'll have a problem because you would have adapted to a "certain" type of racket already. :D