Similar racquet to the Yonex Aerotus 66?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by c0ldlimit, Feb 11, 2013.

1. c0ldlimit

c0ldlimit New Member

Hi all, I am in the market to upgrade my racquet and was wondering if any one could suggest a racquet somewhat similar to the Aerotus 66?

Which line of Yonex or any other brand most closely resembles the characteristics of the Aerotus series?

Thank you!

2. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Of the mainstream Yonex racquets there isn't really one that plays like the Aerotus's. Yonex still make some Aerotus racquets for sale only in Japan as far as I know. But outside of Japan you will struggle to find one for sale unless you look for a used one.

To be honest, the AR range were not the best racquets Yonex made, but if there's something specific you like about it then try and identify that and see if there is another racquet with a similar characteristic.

Yonex still make Carbonex racquets which has an oval head like the AR series but without the widebody frame. I would have a look at those.

FYI - All the AR racquets are around the medium-flex range by today's standards.

3. c0ldlimit

c0ldlimit New Member

RS20190, thanks for the reply. The bit of information that Aerotus racquets are medium flex is useful. I played with a Nanospeed 990 and believe the stiffness was throwing me off. My smashes didn't feel quite as powerful and I couldn't feel my racquet flex as I swung. Also it felt like the Nanospeed 990 was less "weighty" at the head yet still felt heavy in my hands (maybe because of a longer shaft?)

Does that help with suggesting a series that might fit me?

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Maybe the ArcSaber I-Slash as far as easily available to you goes and the NanoRays have something of a widebody thing going on but are not oval shaped like the Aerotus. On top of that the standard length for Yonex rackets nowadays is 675mm vs 665mm for the Aerotus and most 90's and older models. Personally I think there is a distinct difference in maneuverability so you might want to look at Carlton but availability of those in the US is also a problem. Although something like this one seems to be available in the US http://www.badmintonwarehouse.com/Carlton_Air_Blade_Badminton_Racket_p/rcairblade.htm
    and http://www.badmintonalley.com/Carlt...Racket_T113295_p/racket-carlton-air-blade.htm

As far as Aerotus in Japan, they are no more over there as well since this year. Only guestimating the AR66 to be fairly headlight, closer to NanoRay 500-700FX than NS990 & Co. and also in terms of flex. But you may very well like the Carlton linked to above eventhough the description has it as even balanced.

#4 demolidor, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

6. c0ldlimit

c0ldlimit New Member

Thanks for your input demolidor. The shorter shaft length on the Carlton racquets might be what I am looking for. The price is reasonable enough that I would be willing to take a gamble on it