Kenneth Jonassen new coach at Badminton Denmark

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by demolidor, Feb 11, 2013.

1. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Just read on Badminton Europe he was leaving England after this summer's World Championship and now reading this [​IMG]

Published by: Alexander Weng Petersen
    Date: 2/7/2013 9:33:54 AM
    Category: General

Badminton Denmark brings the former top player Kenneth Jonassen back to Danish badminton. After three successful years in charge of the English national team, Badminton Denmark has secured Jonassen's signature on a four-year contract as an assistant coach.

- I am both pleased and proud to be contacted by Badminton Denmark, and I am looking forward to resume my work along with the challenges and requirements that come with the Danish players. Both old faces, but also the "new", where I have observed their development from a distance.
    I am looking forward to work in a new and dynamic coaching team under Finn Trærup-Hansen together with Lars Uhre and Per-Henrik Croona. The possibility of further development of the Danish players' current level and taking it to new heights is an opportunity/challenge that requires the pinnacle of a trainer, and I appreciate just that, says Kenneth Jonassen, who is looking forward to get back to Denmark.

Badminton Denmark are also pleased that Kenneth Jonassen is returning to the Danish halls again.

- I am very pleased that we are getting Kenneth Jonassen back to the Danish national team. He is a serious coach who knows what it takes. He knows Danish badminton well of course, and we know what he stands for, so we look forward to an interesting collaboration in the sports management. Kenneth comes back with new inspiration from his work with English badminton - all in all a win for Danish badminton, says director of sports Finn Trærup-Hansen.

Kenneth Jonassen has appreciated his time in England, where the family has settled in well. Therefore it was not a decision, the former single player could make alone.

- It was a family decision going back to Denmark, and although we all have been happy about living in England, the time right was - both for my family and for my personal development as a coach. I have had three very stimulating and educating years in England, where I have put my stamp on what it takes to develop world class players. I have also been allowed to engage myself in the organizational work - including the construction of the structure of GP performance (ed., corresponding to the elite department in Badminton Denmark).

The contract becomes effective after the World Cup in China, which will be played in August. Kenneth Jonassen's agreement with Badminton Denmark runs until the 30th of June 2017. His primary work area will be the men's singles.

Kenneth Jonassen's resume as a coach:
    2003-10 Playing coach in Greve
    2008-10 Centre Coach Badminton Denmark
    2010-13 Coach of Badminton England

Kenneth Jonassen's resume as a player:
    European champion 2008
    European finalist 1998, 2002, 2004 and 2006
    German Open 2001
    Korea Open 2003
    Dutch Open 2004
    Singapore Open 2004
    National champion 2004 and 2008