User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been playing with the X80 in my singles matches for a while now.
    My doubles racket is the Victor MX80, and I was basically looking for the same, but a bit head heavier. Have to say the Kinesis was more head heavy than expected; I'm not really sure that the fast frame can make a difference except during a smash which you have plenty of time for. Which in theory would make it pretty useless (if you have time you should be killing them anyway), but it has this pretty amazing shaft which really does make a difference.
    It can be pretty difficult to get the shaft working, but with the heavy head to help out a bit, you can get a great response from the baseline to help get out of trouble (had to fetch a few underhands from behind me that I managed to send back far better than I had the right to ask for).

It is, however, pretty useless in doubles. It's slow. Head heaviness is really up there, so you can't expect it to act like a ballerina, but even so, it just couldn't keep up with with the pace of MD or XD at any respectable level. I've been eying up the X90, but haven't had the opportunity to really test it. It was really great around the net though, and seems to be the racket aimed for doublers. I'll definitely post again if I can test it out properly.

Also happy to answer questions about the X80, but there are only 2 other rackets I can compare it to (Victor's MX80 and Carlton's Airblade Rasmussen Titanium).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are there any new Carltons coming up? Ordered the Kinesis X90 at a real bargain price today, usually they go down this much in price when a new generation is released. Can't find any information on that on the Carlton website though.

Based on your reviews here I am really looking forward to try it. Have a match and a tournament in the next week, and since I broke the strings on my Razor v1.1 earlier this week (and there is no decent restringer in my area) I most likely will take it into action (otherwise I still have the Vapour Trail Tour but that one lacks power in singles).
    Last edited by Juni88; 02-14-2014 at 09:21 AM. Reason: grammar

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Juni88 View Post
    Are there any new Carltons coming up? Ordered the Kinesis X90 at a real bargain price today, usually they go down this much in price when a new generation is released. Can't find any information on that on the Carlton website though.

Based on your reviews here I am really looking forward to try it. Have a match and a tournament in the next week, and since I broke the strings on my Razor v1.1 earlier this week (and there is no decent restringer in my area) I most likely will take it into action (otherwise I still have the Vapour Trail Tour but that one lacks power in singles).
    I never, ever want another Razor on my stringing machine. I'll need to charge triple to cover the hassle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it really that much harder to string? I can imagine it is something you need to get used to, but is it really that much of a difference?

I'm not really satisfied with the string-jobs I got done in my area, my prefered one now is 50km from here so I need to find time to visit that store. They sell quite a lot Carlton I believe so I think/hope they can help me out

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is everyone getting their cut-price Kinesis' from?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm, mine came in today, and they send the wrong one, X80 instead of X90. Considering keeping it and ask for a refund to compensate for the 5 euro difference in price, as I want to use it this week.

Can anyone tell what the difference is between the two and is it really that noticable? According to the Carlton website the X90 should generate more power but is less maneuverable. That is actually the opposite of what SolsticeOfLight claims in his post above.

Based on dry-swinging this is head-heavy enough for me allready. Is the X90 stiffer perhaps?
    Last edited by Juni88; 02-15-2014 at 11:59 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to the specs on Directsports, yeah, the X90 is stiffer, head heavier and heavier overall. To me, the X80 has a nicer, more versatile spec. I'd be keeping it if I was you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, that was my thought exactly. Even though the extra stiffness would make it possible to get more "feeling" into the netplay, the lesser maneuvrability would make it less suitable for doubles. Not that I intend to play doubles with it, but you never know what may happen with the doubles racket (using VTT for that), and a switch to a racket you use frequently makes the most sense on that occasion.

And I don't need that little extra power, but I bet it will make me wonder in the next few weeks if things could have been even more powerfull using an X90...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then you can sell me your X80

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had my first session with it tonight, think I need a few more to get used to it. It is slightly head-heavier then the previous H-h Carltons I'm used to so my timing was a little off. Whenever I could take my time for a stroke Cclearing drill baseline to baseline) it was amazing, but drop shots and netplay during a match when there was little time some shots were horrible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to the specs on Directsports, yeah, the X90 is stiffer, head heavier and heavier overall. To me, the X80 has a nicer, more versatile spec
    I think they may have made a mistake, as the X90 is a tad lighter (carltonsports.co.uk). The X90 is a tad stiffer though, having tried both, and the X80 is slightly head-heavier.
    Carlton's website rates them the same, but I thought it was pretty noticeable when trying them out. I didn't have the chance to try out multiple of the same though, so some of it could be due to the batch.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Directsports people claim that their specs are measured from actual rackets though, so I'm more inclined to take notice of them - especially considering they actually measure the BP and stiffness. Each racket does have a spec tolerance though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carlton works at +-2g (I think) on total weight, so there's a 1g overlap. Still the X80 I have is noticeably heavier than the X90 I tested. I know Victor specs change per region, but I didn't think Carlton did...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello everybody,

My two original two pieces original pieces of the Carlton Kinesis X70 have both broken on me. The racket handle cracks and breaks near the cone that supports the shaft of the racket. I have never seen this happen to me before, with any other racket. I've played with both Carlton rackets and of course Yonex. Has anyone seen this happening? I've got a Carlton Kinesis X70 replaced under warranty, only to see it happen again. Also, with the original Kinesis (prototype) I've had the same thing happening twice. So that's a total of four Kinesis rackets breaking at the handle, because of the wood cracking and giving up. I'm interested to see if I'm the only one and if anybody knows what the cause could be?

Odmar

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you mean the wood 'gives up'?

I guess it doesn't matter at this stage though, I'd be getting my money back and moving on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maklike Tier View Post
    What do you mean the wood 'gives up'?

I guess it doesn't matter at this stage though, I'd be getting my money back and moving on.
    I meant that the racket handle cracked. The complete handle of the racket is broken in two pieces, with splinters, because the wood cracked and broke under the grip. I am getting another type, like the Vapour Trail Tour (never had any issues there).
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had 3 of the original kinesis rackets, the first had a cracked handle upon delivery, got a replacement then the frame broke at one of the 'twist' points during a simple clear shot, then after a second replacement the racket broke again in the same place on the frame after a smash. There is definitely something wrong with the construction IMO on the original series but not sure if they have corrected it in these newer X series. I really did like the balance and power the racket produced and would like to buy another if these problems have been eliminated.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast