User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

With Michal's side supports, how much did you stretch the frame during the mounting process?

Quote Originally Posted by DarthHowie View Post
    Hey Kwun.

Might as well chime in since i also use a Gamma 6004 (older version) + Wise 2086. I also use a strict main + 10% on crosses (first 4 crosses build up to main + 10%). I use only fixed clamps. The load spreader i use is a Gosen. The biggest difference with your machine from mine is that I use Michal Chudek Supports (love them A LOT).

When i first started using the machine i tried to just use a strict 2lbs more on crosses but i found that the shape of the racket was more compressed inwards (fat and stumpy). Over time I modified it such that now i always string 10% more on crosses which also maintains the shape of the racket. My friends all share the same thoughts as yours in terms that they having nothing but positive things to say when they are hitting (minus the ppl that break string often due to mishits).

The majority of the players i string for all are around: 25 - 29 lbs range

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Kwun, measure the length of the unstrung frame versus the same one right after you finished the main strings only.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Kwun, Gamma half V supports doesn't hold well too well actually - at least the model year I had.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD View Post
    Kwun, Gamma half V supports doesn't hold well too well actually - at least the model year I had.
    I agree. Michal supports were a lot better.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Michal's side supports, how much did you stretch the frame during the mounting process?
    What do you mean by stretch the frame? Horizontally? Vertically?

I make sure that when i first mount the racket before stringing that i tighten the supports (including north & south posts) not to the point where i visibly see the frame distort yet secure enough that i wouldn't expect the racket to move (which i noticed with the gamma supports).

Is this what you are talking about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

kind of. By how much did the frame stretch vertically along the main string direction?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kind of. By how much did the frame stretch vertically along the main string direction?
    i tighten the north post up until i have "resistance" when securing the frame to the supports. I loosen and tighten this post to ensure that i do not stretch it. basically if the side supports didnt touch the frame, the north and south post would hold the racket suspended without falling down. that's how tight it is.

so based on those conditions (assuming the racket is just mounted and not tensioned at all yet)...my answer is: the frame does not stretch vertically (nothing visibly noticeable).

Now if you want me to measure this...it's less than 1mm...which in my opinion is not noticeable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If that's the case, the frame probably shortened (got fat) during tensioning the main strings. That "kind" of explains the need for 10% + main for the cross.

i tighten the north post up until i have "resistance" when securing the frame to the supports. I loosen and tighten this post to ensure that i do not stretch it. basically if the side supports didnt touch the frame, the north and south post would hold the racket suspended without falling down. that's how tight it is.

so based on those conditions (assuming the racket is just mounted and not tensioned at all yet)...my answer is: the frame does not stretch vertically (nothing visibly noticeable).

Now if you want me to measure this...it's less than 1mm...which in my opinion is not noticeable.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If that's the case, the frame probably shortened (got fat) during tensioning the main strings. That "kind" of explains the need for 10% + main for the cross.
    remember the comparison case which is the ASE.

the ASE isn't immune to that either. i remember i measured the old racket heads from using the ASE and it was a few mm shorter. and also with the ASE adding 10% didn't feel as good as not adding it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Perhaps the ASE support the frame better than the Gamma: adding 10% made the stringbed too stiff . . .

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    remember the comparison case which is the ASE.

the ASE isn't immune to that either. i remember i measured the old racket heads from using the ASE and it was a few mm shorter. and also with the ASE adding 10% didn't feel as good as not adding it.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i did manage to measure the shrinkage and it was 3mm for 25lbs. measured before and after mains were tensioned.

but i don't agree that the 10% will make that much of a difference. while i don't have exact measurement, my guess is that adding the 10% and not adding 10% will end up having a different of 0.3mm, which IMHO will be something completely negligible.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those who use a load spreader at 12 might consider re-tightening the 6 support after the center mains are tensioned - the racket often sinks into the LS slightly, leaving the 6 loose (to the order of 1-2 mm).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    Those who use a load spreader at 12 might consider re-tightening the 6 support after the center mains are tensioned - the racket often sinks into the LS slightly, leaving the 6 loose (to the order of 1-2 mm).

Does anybody find that using the load spreader at the 12oclock with some older rackets (such as Yonex mp88) that it prevents the top cross strings from being strung as the load spreader gets in the way?

I had to take it off when stringing this particular racket.

I had no problems with it with the Arcsaber 7.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a Gosen Load spreader so it isn't an issue. Might be an issue if you use an MBS one.

Mark, I considered doing that. Will have to try it on one of my panda's. We'll see if that makes any difference with shape.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a Gosen Load spreader so it isn't an issue. Might be an issue if you use an MBS one.

Mark, I considered doing that. Will have to try it on one of my panda's. We'll see if that makes any difference with shape.
    The MBS spreaders sometimes foul the top cross with the Yonex 9000/Z pattern rackets (without modifications, that is).

If you try my technique, you might want to have your 4/8 supports literally one-finger tight. As the racket sinks into the loadspreader, the entire hoop will want to move downwards - if the 4/8 are too tight, the frame will "bunch up" in those areas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's too bad you still don't have the ASE. I'd be curious to know the measured pull of both machines at different tensions.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kwun as you seem to be like a Yoda figure on here, is the ASE a good machine for a beginner stringer who isn't really looking to make anything other than pocket money on stringing?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast