Another new stringer

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by aiexrlder, Feb 12, 2013.

1. aiexrlder

aiexrlder Regular Member

So recently bought a pro's pro shuttle express, starting stringing a few rackets, done about 5 now. A few questions if anyone can help

1. The knob turning the tension is divided into 3s (0,1,2). Does this represent a 1/3 lb tension each turn? I read somewhere that the tension increases by 1lb for each division but this clearly can't be true?

2. I start with 2 flying clamps, however, after stringing the first few i notice that the two main strings when i ping them don't have the tension. I assume this is because when i'm tensioning the first string it's actually pulling two mains at a time, is there a to adjust for this?

3. I'm not quite sure about this but by my rackets feel okay after stringing, they seem to retain tension okay but they don't feel amazing. It's hard to get the really crisp hitting sound and large sweetspot strung by professionals. It's the same with other casual stringers i know. Do you think this is because of differences in stringing machine, not enough tension or poor technique? If it's the last, any specific advice to follow?

Many thanks!

2. Randomlegend

Randomlegend Regular Member

School
    1. It is (at least on my XP Plus it is, which I think has the same tensioner). Set it at 18 or something, turn it a full turn and it should now be at 21 i.e. each segment is 1lb.

2. I'm not sure how exactly you are starting. This video shows how to do it properly:

[video=youtube;GN0RDEcSMz4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN0RDEcSMz4[/video]:

3. Not sure, I'd hang around for some of the experienced stringers to help you out with that one. :)

3. aiexrlder

aiexrlder Regular Member

1. hmm but if i turn it a full turn it doesn't go up by 3 lbs at all, rather 1 lb. It's a bit bizzare as the machine i was taught on was as you described. Bit confused but the tensions seem to come out right so not too bothered.

2. i start exactly like that, but the two middle mains definately don't sound like the same tension. maybe it's because i'm using a crank.

4. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    1) The crank machine I had had increments of .5 lbs, so a full turn was 1.5lbs.

2) Yes, it is because you're tensionning 2 mains at the same time. The difference between the two strings is pretty big when you do that. Use the technique shown in the video above if you do not have a starting clamp.

3) It will come with time, however I think it's a mix of machine setup, calibration and technique. This will come with reading (a lot), watching videos and a lot of practice.