Reduce thickness of wooden handle to use an extra replacement grip

Discussion in 'Grip' started by DuckFeet, Feb 12, 2013.

1. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Has anyone done this? I like the cushiony feel of my 5ug2 (I think) with 2x replacement grip on it and the roundness is easier to spin in my hand. I think the extra cushioning is kinder to my elbow too* My other racket has a thicker handle, only one grip (so same thickness overvall) and the bevells more pronounced make it tend to sit wrong in my hand. I think I'll have to go easy with the plane after removing the cap on the end then sand? I could just take the bevells off but that won't result in as much cushioning. *Old injury, on and off, mostly off :)

2. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Sorry about the formatting.

3. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

have you tried it? I know some specialized shops offer the service but I have never tried. I'm pretty sure it will void the manufacturer's warranty if it is still valid.

4. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Not done this as yet but I plan to sandpaper the grip (like 240 grit) until I've shaved off about a gram of weight. No warranty to worry about ;) I will report back! I have 3 identical raquets to experiment with.

5. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

Cool! Would be nice with pics of your hard work ;)

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The ideal tool is a thickness planer or jointer, if you can find either one (not a lot of people have them in their sheds, admittedly). I used the one at my old school to turn a G5 into a G6, but I had to add the lost weight back in to preserve the racket balance.

Sanding with paper will take ages, and may round the flat parts.

7. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Pictures - I hadn't thought of that (My garage is embarassingly messy...). I think balsa wood vs 240 or 400 grit won't be too bad. I don't have that tool but I suppose I could look one up. I am planning to use something flat to do one face at a time to preserve the shape. I'm happy to disturb the balance for a fraction more weight at the top.