User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If your opponent is hitting the shuttle "really high to the baseline" then you should have enough time to get behind the shuttle and counter-attack.

Maybe you're getting too carried away here with smashing, in the mistaken assumption that it will win you the point. Badminton on the court is about constructing the point, not trying to force your way through. In singles especially, be aware of the fundamental tactic of moving your opponent to all the 4 corners of his court. That will create the opening for you, and you will be surprised to find that you don't really have to even smash to win a point.

In fact, using well-placed and well-directed half-smashes will help you to set up the point much better.

Practise is the key, as mentioned in the posts above.

Practise your drops as well. If your drop is fast (not lazy and loose and slow) it will get your opponent in trouble immediately. Bring your opponent to the forecourt to learn more about his strenghts or weaknesses there, and you can then have the exposed rear-court open to put him under more pressure.

You have to think your game. But before that, you must practise. You cannot practise during a game. You must find time, and a willing partner or coach to do drills.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul Kumar View Post
    So let's assume that i can clear To his baseline... Now as thehe strategy used by him is to hit the shuttle really high to my baseline... So he will always do lifts and clears... He never goesnear net area and smashes only from mid court and fore court...

I know, to pressure him I need to hit my own smashes rather than clears, but since the shuttles are so slow I can't produce much power...

So what tactics do I use against him? A drop and then a clear to the opposite ornery, and then smash? Or what?
    seem's like you are too obsessed with smashing. In singles you can win lots of points with no smashing at all. Just move your opponent around.

I must suggest you should test the shuttles and tip inwards if they are too slow, though.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    seem's like you are too obsessed with smashing. In singles you can win lots of points with no smashing at all. Just move your opponent around.

I must suggest you should test the shuttles and tip inwards if they are too slow, though.
    Agreed! It appears the OP was used to smashing with his own birds likely they were fast, and he got full value for smashes as a result.

Here is a video on how to correctly test for shuttle speeds; hope it helps...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AZbQBR90Yw

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And if you think the shuttle is too slow but your opponent doesnt want to change it , you can always stealthily compress the shuttle in your hand as you're holding it...
    Last edited by visor; 02-18-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So let's assume that i can clear To his baseline... Now as thehe strategy used by him is to hit the shuttle really high to my baseline... So he will always do lifts and clears... He never goesnear net area and smashes only from mid court and fore court...

I know, to pressure him I need to hit my own smashes rather than clears, but since the shuttles are so slow I can't produce much power...

So what tactics do I use against him? A drop and then a clear to the opposite ornery, and then smash? Or what?
    His tactic is to slow the pace of the game down. All the high clears is to slow things down.

It wont be the shuttles; if he can hit it and you can't, it's your problem. I can almost guarantee he already knew you had problems clearing during the warmup, so he already knew what weakness to milk for the match.

stop blaming external factors. Both of you played on the same court under the same conditions. Suck it up and improve ur fundamentals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I know what is your problem because I had similar issues

Slow shuttle - your are right in saying it effects you but it is not doing the same to your opponent. So it simply means you are not strong enough, not behind the shuttle when hitting or your technique is at fault. Take your pick. I think you are late that is why you cant generate enough power.

Baseline clears - your opponent already knows your weakness and it exploiting it. Best advice to you is, do exactly what he does. Hit back all the way to the back, work on it until you can do it consistently. If you don't then the results are a foregone conclusion.
    He will just hit to the back waiting for you to make a short clear and just smash.

Smashing - smashing from the baseline is very risky unless you have a very powerful smash or very accurate line hugging shots. It is best used when your opponent is out of position or short lifts. As you pointed out your opponent is doing this.
    Last edited by rogerv2; 02-19-2013 at 03:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Work on your clears,

Search youtube for pronation badminton. Same skill for smashing and clears.

Do footwork drills, reference also available on youtube.

Your opponent is outpowering you, need to work on that. Shuttles might make some difference, but you can't prevent him from exploiting your weakness until you work on your weakness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do not smash too often from the baseline unless there is an open space for you to get a point. Try to vary your smashing power in order to mess up your opponent's timing. Throw in some drop shots in between as well. Above all, do not be to obsessed in smashing. Try to focus more on placement.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're so fed up with his shuttles just use your own shuttles. Have you tried this yet? Does he insist on playing with his shuttles?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stock strings!!! cut them and restring asap. also you went from 18lbs to 24lbs!! Try a restring at 20lbs.
    At your level you dont need to worry about the miniscule accuracy improvement of higher tensions. Also regardless of your racket, if your opponent can hit a shot, you should be able to too. Even if shuttle too slow for the environment, you should be able to clear backcourt to backcourt.

when you can hit the return to backcourt then you should have the advantage because you know where all his shots are going. you just concentrate on hitting his 4 corners.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2