String with less tension drop

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ucantseeme, Feb 15, 2013.

1. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Hey guys,

I'm running out of strung rackets and need your help.
    Actually I play at 32 x 30 with BG66UM which was my go to for the last saison. Now I decided to switch because I hate the enormous tension drop. It's a nice string but only for 2-3 sessions. After that it feels very dull for me. My previous strings were NGB98 which is IMO too slippery and BG80 which holds tensions best. Now I'm very curios about the Zymax line. Especially 65 and 67. I tried years ago 67 at 24lbs which was too low for me. Now my questions is: Is it smart to change to Zymax 65 or 67 or stay with BG80 in terms of tension holding? I would give it a try but need to buy from asia to get the 65 and the 67 online because my stringers doesn't sell it.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it seems that you like thinner strings. then ZM65 is what i would recommend. excellent string and tension drop is pretty good. definitely better than 66UM which not only drop tension, but the feeling goes away after a couple of weeks.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

I'm loving zm62 at 22x23 lbs. Great feel, repulsion, control, and most importantly tension retention. But don't go more than 25lb on this stuff or else durability suffers from mishits.

#3 visor, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  4. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Thanks for your advices fellers!:)
    I think I will skip the 62. One of my friends strung it at 26 lbs and broke it during warm up. Eric has a nice offer. 10x Zymax for 30€. Maybe I will get a mix. 5x 65 and 5x 67 in red. Will match perfect with my MX80s. :D

5. visor

visor Regular Member

skip the 67, it's quite dull feeling esp compared to 65 and 62

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. skip the 67, but stick with the red. :D

[​IMG]

7. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

Totally agree. ZM62 and 65 are just on another level:D.

8. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    kwun, your racket looks really sexy. ;) Mine have also a red grip.
    I'm a bit afraid of using Zymax 62, because I read that it breaks within a week. I play currently alot and have also 2 equal rackets. So I must switch between my two MX80, two BS10 and two SW35. Maybe I can run out of rackets in only one or two games. I'm not that guy, who breaks strings very often but the combination of high tension and ultrathin string can be deadly if I'm right? That would be quite expensive, because I have a stringing machine not yet. Thanks for your help. I will order 10 Sets of Zymax 65, to be safe.

9. madbad

madbad Regular Member

[MENTION=59291]ucantseeme[/MENTION]. I'm a serial string breaker and like you, was looking for a reliable string with good feel and held its tension. I use a MX80 and string at 27 lb. After some experimenting I settled on the ZM65 and now have little fear of breakages from mishits. The string lasts about 2.5 months (now longer since I play less) while I used to restring every 4-6 weeks previously. Hope it helps :)

10. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    I know this is off top but how does the bs10 compare to the mx80? I have an mx80 and an sw35 and thinking of getting a bs10.

11. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    I know this is off top but how does the bs10 compare to the mx80? I have an mx80 and an sw35 and thinking of getting a bs10.

12. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    @ madbad

I can live with 2 monthly stringing jobs. Actually I break strings every 2 month or cut the BG66 Ultimax if the feeling is dull.
    Well, I will give the Zymax 65 a try and compare it with the BG80 which is one of the greatest YY strings IMO, which I tried.
    [MENTION=93986]diverdan[/MENTION]

The BS10 is more headlight than MX80. It's well balanced and compared with my MX the BP is 7mm lower (exactly same setup and overall weight). I would describe it as even balance and a tiny bit towards head. The MX80 is a bit stiffer. The BS10 is due the balancepoint and the frame profile very quick and my defence is a lot better than with the MX80. Mostly I switch to the BS10 if I'm tired or my opponents are smashing freaks.:D On power issue the MX80 is a bit more powerful but I can generate with the BS10 quite decent smashs, too. Wrist smashs are easier to generate with the BS10 than with the MX80.

13. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Have you tried any of the Victor lines? VS650 is is similar to BG66um but not as slippery. I have it strung at 30lbs on my MX80 and SW35. Tension drops after about 9 sessions and generally break on a main. NS660ti is another great string as well as the infamous VS850. It is important to point out that all strings strung in excess of 30lbs lose tension pretty quickly though.

14. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I haven't access to all these strings. I tried VS850 in the past and it was a gorgeous string, but dropped so quickly and broke easily, but it performs excellent.
    Yesterday I broke one string and cut the other dead BG66UM.
    Tomorrow I visit my stringer. I will choose between BG80, NBG99 or Micro Power. Really heard no good things about BG80P.
    Is there any rule like thinner/thicker strings held tension longer/better?
    I will definitly go for 30 x 32. I need such tension, because I benifit the most at around 29lbs to 31lbs.
    Here in germany these exotic strings aren't popular and there is no huge market like in asia. 98% of players I knew and our stringer at the club use BG65. The average tension here of club players is only 20 to 22lbs and they are cheap. They only do a new string job if a string breaks. :D

#14 ucantseeme, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  15. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ Please choose the nbg99! And let us know how it plays... I've heard many good reviews about it. :)

16. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Ok sir :), thanks to all for your help. I will choose on one MX the NBG99 and do a comparison between BG80 and NBG99 at same tension. I'm the person who like experiments.:D I'm sick of the BG66UM.

17. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

Next time when you change your string give Micropower a try. IMO it is one of the best thicker strings (.69mm or thicker) I've ever used. Perhaps not as durable as BG65, but definitely worth it.

18. greblu

greblu Regular Member

Student
    #18 greblu, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  19. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

i would stick to BG80. i play 28lbs and it keeps the tension pretty well.

don't understand your last sentence: imho it is pretty standard to only restring, when a string breaks. strings break so fast anyways that anything else would be burning money...

20. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Yesterday at the training, I fired some canonballs with the NBG99. I hit a girl who was not amused about the bruise at her left arm. :D
    It's a promising string, but I will need some time to have a clue of every aspects. A detailed review and comparison with BG80 and BG66UM will follow.

@ zombie0517

Yes, I will give Micro Power a try. I'm actually at a phase of experiments. :)

@ greblu

Thanks for your advice, but I think I will skip Li Ning strings, atm. I have no reason for this, but atm I have so much strings which I want to try out. So Li-Ning must to queue up.

@ |_Footwork_|

Yes, I know that BG80 is a excellent string, it was years ago my go to, but not tried at 30 x 32 until yesterday. Last time was at 26 x 28, more than 1 year ago. Then I changed to thinner strings (BG66UM, NBG98) for a period and increased tenison.
    You are right. It's burning money, but some strings like BG65, VS850 and BG66UM lose tension really quickly, so I can't wait until it breaks.
    Especially the feel of a fresh BG66UM is so incredible IMO, but this feeling is after some sessions gone.
    Yes it's wasting money, so I opened this thread to find a better holding tension string.
    It's for me very frustrating to use a string which feels dull and lost it's feel.