String recommendation for a beginner (and string killer)

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by NOLE.LUCKY, Feb 16, 2013.

1. NOLE.LUCKY

NOLE.LUCKY Regular Member

Hi all.
    From what ive read on the forum, the default factory strings are not very easy to break. Well, i have been using a voltric 7 for 35 hours of playing over two months and i managed to do the unthinkable ( for a beginner like me) yesterday evening. I broke the factory string. I snapped one of two ( the left one to be precise) middle mains. Idk whether that was because of some of the mishits ive hit over the months or maybe because i hit hard and a lot of smashes and have been finding the sweetspot consistently. Now that i need to get it restrung, i would like to have a durable string cause i dont wanna spend much on restringing. For now, im getting it strung with bg 66 at 21 lbs. Mind you i play with nylon shuttles (could that be a reason for the strings to snap this quick?). I am an offensive singles player with a decent defence. Also, i hit a lot of sliced dropshots, and slice shots in general. Could that also contribute to string wear and tear? Should i quit hitting those?
    I would like you guys to suggest me a good durable all round string for use at 21 lbs with nylon shuttles. And also ways to avoid damage to strings. Thanks :D

2. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

If you slice a lot your string will wear out faster, especially when combined with mishits. I'd recommend ZM70 and BG65, as they are decent strings (not the Yonex factory string crap) with very good durability. If you are an offensive player you might consider BG65Ti as it is harder feel, which IMO is great for smashing, though slicing will suffer a bit due to its slippery texture. If you are willing to spend a bit more you can try NBG95, durable string with awesome power.

Hope that helps.

3. zombie0517

The best way to prolong string life is to improve your strokes: try to time properly and hit the shuttle cleanly. Mishit is the biggest string killer, especially at higher tensions/thinner gauges.

4. NOLE.LUCKY

NOLE.LUCKY Regular Member

Thanks for that. What do you think of bg9 and nbg 99?

5. zombie0517

I have not used BG9 so cannot really comment on that. NBG99 has a very grippy texture and is great for slicing but will definitely cost you more. Durable, but not as durable as the strings I mentioned (ZM70, BG65/65Ti, NBG95).

6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Give the NBG99 at try and increase your tension by 2lbs. BG66 is not very durable and 21lbs is really low for such a repulsive string. It's known that plastics are string killers. Badminton is a high priced sport compared to soccer if you take Badminton serious in the future. Broken rackets, broken strings, feather shuttlecocks and at least every year new shoes are parts of it.
    I know people who break Flex 21 in less than 3 days. So 2 month is not a record but pretty average.