Rackets used by pros

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Ricky, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    It's too bad the HK Open 2003 has finally passed and I felt a bit emptiness as I need to wait at least to sometime to watch great tournament as such "live" (I can't goto GuangZhou to watch China Open this year due to schedule conflict).

I would like to share something about the rackets which pros are using based on my observations in HK Open 2003 :

- Yonex is still the primary brand. In fact, while some players have logo other than Yonex printed on their strings, they are still using Yonex racket. For example, Bossen's racket has a Wilson logo printed but it is actually a Ti-10. I believe Tan Fook should use Ti-10 as well even his racket has Gosen logo printed on the string.

- MP99 and Ti-10 are still the most popular Yonex rackets being used.

- There are only a few players using AT700, e.g. Gong Rina, a women doubles player from China (can't remember who is the gal).

- Sigits and Trifius were using oval shape racket which doesn't look like Cab 30 MS (their rackets are in green color).

- I found some players using BG80 because I saw the onsite stringers have strung some rackets with BG80.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    thanks for the observation ricky. It confirmed some of my assumptions.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Sigit/trikus might be using the cab20 tour, that was green.

quite a few of the Koreans are using AT700

Lee DS is using cab21 (prev Ti10).

Peter Gade MP88

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    so both Lee and Yoo are using cab rackets? i wonder if Yoo has an influence on that.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Lee DS looked very sharp in his q/f against JR. Never thought of him as being strong at the back but he was really hitting and driving well.

6. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    I can't remember exactly but it shouldn't be the case for Ra/Kim. Will goto check the video tape tonight. :)

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

You're right, those two are stil using Ti10 (kim), MP100 (Ra - at least it looks like MP100)

8. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I thought Ra was using MP100 from what I saw of the Danish open.
    It's a very distinctive shade of red.

9. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    my friend is a photojournalist. he told me that on the court, there were bunches of spare AT700s for the china national team but somehow they were still counting on their MP99s!

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Did you manage to get your hands on those at700s? :D. If i'm not mistaken Lee Wan Wah is using mp100 with gosen strings.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    you mean gosen logo stenciled on the string?. It is very difficult to tell what type of string just from photos or videos.

12. ants

ants Regular Member

From what i know from the Malaysian coach is that even though Malaysian team is sponsored by Gosen most of them uses gosen strings and equipments , but some are still using yonex racket. Except the Hashim brothers which they are sponsored by Yonex , both of them uses all yonex stuffs.

13. bambini

bambini Regular Member

bldg administrator
    ...or a carbonex20 muscle power which is also color green.

14. OT23 Lok

OT23 Lok Regular Member

Sports Equipment Supplier
    Yes, you're correct, this year, just like the past, Yonex is still the major supplier of the Pro's equipment.

We've been doing the on-site string service for the World-class tournament(Grand Prix, Thomas/Uber Cup's Finals...etc.) held in HK For over 16 years. This year's HK Open, is the biggest event after the last Thomas/Uber Cup final held in HK at 96'. This year, we can observe that there're changes in the equpiment used by the Pros.

1.) Lighter rackets are being used by the top singles player. e.g. Lee Hyun II/Taufik AT700, Peter Gade MP88.

2.)MP99 is still the most wide spread racket being used, 2nd is Ti10/MP100/MP88/AT700.

3.)Thinner guage strings i.e. BG80/Ti68/BG85/BG66 got a bigger share of the total comsumption of racket strings used in this tournament, although BG65 still got over 40% of total strings consumption.

4.)Higher tension(compared with the 80's/90's), average over 29lbs, up to 34lbs for Denmark's Eriksen.

The game has change a lot from the mid-90's, and of course, it's more and more exciting the game now playing!!!

Anything questions?

15. ants

ants Regular Member

I think thinner strings are used often nowadays because of the feel. Shots need to be near perfect and more precise. Since the game is getting faster and harder now.
    Some players say that they use bg65 because it is more durable. Well if i'm a sponsored player and i'm supplied with equipments.. i don't go for the durable.. will go for the best.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Haven't seen that one yet. Then again, haven't been round to the shops for a while:p

OT23 Lok, nice to see you back!

Thanks for that information!

Do you think you are much busier than before because the thinner strings break more quickly? For instance, I saw Lee DS of Korea break three racquet strings in one match (s/final). And I saw all three stringers so pressured, it was difficult for them to even take time out for toilet breaks or get some food.

17. ants

ants Regular Member

[

Do you think you are much busier than before because the thinner strings break more quickly? For instance, I saw Lee DS of Korea break three racquet strings in one match (s/final). And I saw all three stringers so pressured, it was difficult for them to even take time out for toilet breaks or get some food. [/B][/QUOTE]

I guess yonex have to get more stringers. :)

18. double

double Regular Member

Hi!

Several questions:

-What tension/string is Peter using for MP88? He used to high tension, just wonder how high tension can MP88 stand for?

-And for AT700, can it stand for 30lbs?

-Which racket is Sigit using? Is it CAB20MS? What's tension and string? I'd strung CAB20MS for 28lbs and it's broken!

Thank you very much!!!

19. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Mr. Lok,

Could you give us your insights in stringing Jens Eriksen's racquet? Did you just go ahead without the slightest thought of breaking it?

20. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    How do you know which string and tension are used by each player ? Do you have a list of records of each player's preference ? Since I found that a racket was given to your team when the string was broken during a game, and you guys seemed know what to do without talking to them.