Change from MX80 to ...?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by diverdan, Feb 17, 2013.

1. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Hello BC,

I need some input as I am struggling with choosing a new racket.

I play xd and mens in leagues. I currently use a MX80 4U which is strung with VS650 @ 30lbs. I want to find something similar but a little less stiff. I like the weight of the head and the overall weight of a 4U. I have thought of a BS10 but understand I will lose power as it is an even racket. I have used a SW35, VT80, N55ii, Arc 8DX, MX80 3U.

What would you recommend? :)

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Without hesitation, 4U MX-JJS.

3. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Agreed on the 4U MXJJS

4. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

MX-JJS could be the one but not sure if it is available in 4U

5. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

[MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION]: Is there a shop (online) in Canada where it is available in 4U?

6. yzsgs789

yzsgs789 Regular Member

Student
    MX JJS is less stiff than the MX80.
    BS-LYD is a good choice too, its more flex shaft will ensure you still have a good smash while it has amazing speed too.

7. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    How about Bs 15?

8. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Check out My Badminton Store. They have 4U

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Haven't heard any reviews on it, bad or good. One problem with getting a racket that is not well known is that it'll be difficult to sell it later on if you decide that it doesn't work for you.

10. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

I've just strung my BS15 with BG66 @ 25Lbs. Will give it a test tomorrow evening and hope I could share some reviews afterwards.
    Compared to my BS-LYD, this BS15 is a bit less head-heavy but the shaft is stiffer according to my simple & mediocre tests... I guessed it is due to the shorter shaft.
    The interesting part of it is the head shape which looks like a design in between of oval (egg-shaped) and isometric, it will probably feel quite similar to a Z-slash. Will see how this performs on the court tomorrow :D

11. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    The specs look exactly the same as the MX80. What are the differences?

12. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    The specs look exactly the same as the MX80. What are the differences?

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Huh? No way. It's a tad head heavier and less stiff. See victor's matrix on their website.

14. bokuwoof

bokuwoof Regular Member

IT
    OP, I have a 3U MXJJS and that's the best racket I've ever held. It possesses je ne sais quoi magic that just works for me. The racket per se is quite forgiving, fast and powerful enough (my BS15 is a touch faster but also a bit less powerful).

Finally you bought that :) Mine has about 12 playing hour already, strung with 25lbs BG66U. I have my thought, but come on tell me what you think about yours! (sorry OP for hijacking this thread)

EDIT: put relevant lines into the post.

#14 bokuwoof, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  15. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

Managed to play with my 3UG2 BS15 last night during the stroke training and single games (nearly 2 hours in total). As expected this is a good racket for all-rounder players.
    The balance point is just a bit higher than the NS9900 but slightly less stiff. I was having a lot of time adjusting the stroke timing as I've been playing with head heavier rackets (N90 and MX-JJS) lately. The t-joint is placed lower compared to the other rackets I have, this allows the stringbed to span longer at the mains. Hence, the sweetspot is located slightly lower too and I need to spend some time to get used to it. However, once the shuttle is being right on the sweetspot, this racket delivers a good momentum for power shots like smashes or attacking clears, as well as a good feedback through the reasonable vibration along the shaft for the controlled shots like drop or net shots.

Back to the topic, [MENTION=93986]diverdan[/MENTION] : you can consider 3U BS15 since you are used to the 4U MX80. Though it doesn't have a heavy head, I think its semi isometric head shape is able to compensate to deliver more power through the more focused sweetspot. Need some time to get used to it, though I think those who has comfortably played with oval rackets shouldn't find any issue.

16. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

sorry, double post :confused:

#16 quixilver, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  17. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

sorry, triple post...:crying:

#17 quixilver, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  18. bokuwoof

bokuwoof Regular Member

IT
    You have MX-JJS too! I couldn't find anything unusual about my BS15, nothing too stands-out. Really couldn't say anything about it other than it surprisingly feels similar to my MX-JJS, just with a teeny weeny bit faster swing to compensate a teeny weeny bit less power. Other differences, if there any, was not significant enough for me to notice/mention.

So, diverdan I'd recommend MX-JJS first, and BS-15 second. Probably BS-LYD for a more flashy appearance. But if you can adapt to the more oval frame, BS15 is cheaper and better looking to me.

19. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

Yes, I have the MX-JJS 3U and use it for doubles and compared to this, I think the BS15 is faster because of the diamond-shaped frame and the lighter head. Came to my surprise, BS15 provides the "crisp" vibration similar to what MX-JJS does.

Since diverdan is used to the 4u MX80, I think the closer shift will be a 4u MX-JJS (if it's available in 4u). Otherwise, the BS15 can get into the picture to be considered. Don't worry too much about the head shape, the sweetspot area is still larger than the beloved Arc Z-slash :D