shoe help

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by assault38, Nov 3, 2003.

1. assault38

assault38 Regular Member

Lawyer
    Hello all,

I'm looking for a decent pair a badminton or badminton friendly indoor shoes. I don't need the newest or best, but one that is affordable, comfortable and will last me at least half a year. I play about 6 hours a week. I'm thinking $40 USD and lower.

On that note, I saw on hiqua's website a pair of shoes that looked decent, about $30 USD, called the MH-2.

If anyone can direct me to a good website or have tried these shoes, please post.

Thanks,

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Don't know too much about this one. However, it looks to be too simple for me, who got bad ankle and bad knee which requires more "support".

USD$40 might be tight for a pair of decent badminton specified shoe. Maybe visit ur local sports store, see if they have any older models of volleyball shoes in stock or something. Being told volleyball shoes are designed for in door, and will provide similar support as badminton shoes. Last time, checked www.modells.com, and saw some old reebok pairs for $30 around. I think I also saw someones with $50s.

If possible, I try to avoid shopping for shoes online. Different manufacutres have different sizes. In a sport like badminton, too small or too large will not only effect ur performance, but also giving more risk for injuries. I prefer to go to local stores to really try it out, before purchase.

3. assault38

assault38 Regular Member

Lawyer
    Re: Re: shoe help

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I also sprained my ankle about a month ago because of the wrong kind of shoes.

(Note: do not ever play with the Adidas Clima Cool Running shoe. As cool as it looks and feels when walking, playing badminton in them is a whole 'nother story...the soles are too high, putting you at great risk for agonizing pain if you land off-balance on a jump smash).

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Re: Re: Re: shoe help

no one should ever use running shoes for badminton, period. that's just suicide.

as for your search for *real* badminton shoes. i say with your budget, go to your local sports store and look for volleyball shoes. they are pretty decent and will work for badminton as well. i suggest a local store instead of mail order is because you want to find a pair that fits you well. badminton takes a lot of toll on your feet and shoes, so fit is the utmost important.

the look of the shoes is the very last thing you should consider, i guess you learned that lesson already! ;)

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: Re: Re: shoe help

U were playing with running shoes??? Wow... I never dare to even try it. Exactly as u pointed out, once a off balance move will put u on walking sticks for a while.

Just happened to a guy 2 wks before, he was using Nike running shoes on court. I suggested him to change for a better choice (badminton shoes, volleyball shoes, or at least cross training shoes), and he took my advice. However, right before that session was over, he sprained his knee (shoes got caught on the floor, I think) and had to be helped off court. I hope he's ok, and pretty sure he will upgrade his gear when I see him next time (which won't be any time soon).

Run to ur local store to get proper shoes, before anything like this happens...

6. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

i've played with running shoes before... never had an injury but i still think it's a bad idea because it's too costly. A running shoe will probably be ruined after a few sessions of badminton, and there's $90 down the drain. Cheaper just to buy vollyball shoes that can take the forces and impacts, and save the runners for running.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    very difficult to specify a time. Sometimes, I have had shoes which last only 3 months but others can use the same model for 9 months.

8. wunderbar

wunderbar Regular Member

You could try the Asic indoor shoes. I sometimes see them on sale for $59-$69 Cdn. I've never tried playing with them but putting them on it felt comfortable. I've got the Nike ones but now have switched to Yonex SHB-735 which for me seems to make quite a difference in quickness and your feet/legs don't get as tired.

9. bambini

bambini Regular Member

bldg administrator
    add US$10 and you can get a NIKE MULTICOURT (US$50). it's the latest volleyball shoe from nike. and it could only be found in paragonsports.com i ordered a pair and just waiting for it. btw, it's under nike cross training.

10. bigredlemon

Nike multicourt is $1-20cdn cheaper than Asics vollyball shoes. At least in my area. The Nikes look more like baskbetball shoes though.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    badminton shoes:
    this one baffles me because i don't understand why aren't more clonex shoes out there. I mean china is king in low cost shoes making. Tons of clonex rackets out there but hardly any clonex badminton shoes. For north american market, i would only prefer yonex and asics. Mizuno is ok too but i dont see many of their models here. Nike court shoes are not as good anymore, sole footprint too large, maybe more overweight people nowaday or carryover design from basketball. If one want a real badminton shoes, i think yonex still rule in this dept. I mentioned before that asics makes only 1 foot profile. It seem they put lotta work in their design but based on 1 ideal model (prolly a manequin) foot profile. :rolleyes: Six years ago i wrote to nike about making badminton shoes because there is a void in this market. They had no interest was their reply. Oh well, yonex is happy to hear that. :eek:

#11 cooler, Nov 4, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2003
  12. bigredlemon

making shoes is expensive.
    When I was in China, the clonex racquets and badminton shoes costed almost the same. A clonex racquet could be sold for $100 to $150 here, but clonex shoes can't sell for anywhere near that much here in Canada/US because of the stiff shoe competition. For $100, most people would get asics over no name.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    err, look at the bottom of most shoes today and tell me where they are made:eek:

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Many players surely know the difference in racket, and many of them tend to get big names like Yonex, or at least a decent clonex. However, far less ppl know the importance of shoes (including me at earlier time).

In my clubs, I will say over 75% ppl using yonex rackets, well at least another 15% using nameable clonex rackets. However, maybe only 50-60% using badminton shoes or proper alternatives, but huge amount of ppl (especial "cool" young ppl) using huge basketball shoes or cool look running shoes, etc.