User Tag List

Page 37 of 67 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast
Results 613 to 629 of 1130
  1. #613
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    356
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    Well said, on the money there. Dunno why you said they did nothing wrong when you explained what Saina did wrong

    Taufik should have put a base price demand on his own head before agreeing to take part if it was a concern to him, then they would have had to pay the price for his marketable face or choose to not use him as part of the IBL promotion at a price all were comfortable at. Not sure if he was more talking about the money he received or the money for foreign players in general that he is aggrieved about more.

    I will say one thing, The foreigners have brought by far the most exciting matches and quality so far. You can tell from the crowds reactions as well as the fact. So to keep good life in this concept, the foreigner pay will have to be more in line next time. But I am sure this will happen so no complaint
    Craig, let me ask you this... if you were one of the franchisees would you have bought TH? I know I wouldn't... For all we know, TH is not the same man that he was in his hey days. In fact I was surprised that someone even bought him. If IBL occurred 3 or 4 years ago, I would have bet my own $100k to buy him for my team. As of today, I wouldn't no matter how low his base price would be. For example, how matches has he won so far in IBL? Has proved his $15k worth? If the answer is no, then how can he question his base price.... If he was talking in general about all the foreign players then I will for sure agree with him. Players like Ivanov, Tanonsak have been undersold compared to some of the Indian players who have been oversold. Although this is a sad state, we have to accept it 'coz this is the first edition and nobody knows players' true potential yet. Come next year, price corrections will occur. Some players' price will appreciate and for some it will depreciate.
    The reason I didnt find anything wrong what Saina said is because I am of same opinion. But I am an outsider to the sport so it doesnt matter what I think and what I say. But that's not the same case with SN. She should have kept quiet instead. The only thing wrong about what she said was the choice of words. I am a huge fan of her game and not the crap she gives off court. She is a lot different from the image she projects about herself and I dont blame her for that. Its the people who got it wrong with their assumptions. They have their expectations high and when she deviates from that they get disappointed. Indian crowd and media are very fickle, their loyalties have very short span. Unlike some people here in BC, not everyone can be a hardcore fan.

  2. #614
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,560
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Srikanth started to demolish Sai

  3. #615
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,560
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Srikanth won the match in straight games.. Very surprising for me. Sai completely went to defensive in the second game . Next sindhu will be on court..

  4. #616
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,560
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sindhu won the match against Arundhati not in a convincing way to me. She is still lagging her confidence here .

  5. #617
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,185
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rahuldarga View Post
    Craig, let me ask you this... if you were one of the franchisees would you have bought TH? I know I wouldn't... For all we know, TH is not the same man that he was in his hey days. In fact I was surprised that someone even bought him. If IBL occurred 3 or 4 years ago, I would have bet my own $100k to buy him for my team. As of today, I wouldn't no matter how low his base price would be. For example, how matches has he won so far in IBL? Has proved his $15k worth? If the answer is no, then how can he question his base price.... If he was talking in general about all the foreign players then I will for sure agree with him. Players like Ivanov, Tanonsak have been undersold compared to some of the Indian players who have been oversold. Although this is a sad state, we have to accept it 'coz this is the first edition and nobody knows players' true potential yet. Come next year, price corrections will occur. Some players' price will appreciate and for some it will depreciate.
    The reason I didnt find anything wrong what Saina said is because I am of same opinion. But I am an outsider to the sport so it doesnt matter what I think and what I say. But that's not the same case with SN. She should have kept quiet instead. The only thing wrong about what she said was the choice of words. I am a huge fan of her game and not the crap she gives off court. She is a lot different from the image she projects about herself and I dont blame her for that. Its the people who got it wrong with their assumptions. They have their expectations high and when she deviates from that they get disappointed. Indian crowd and media are very fickle, their loyalties have very short span. Unlike some people here in BC, not everyone can be a hardcore fan.
    I would agree on your comment about if I were franchisees, I would give the same based price to TH. However, I found nothing wrong to TH comments, as he DID NOT mention that he is not happy about his auction. Let me quote from the news I found:

    "Hidayat had earlier this week expressed unhappiness on the treatment he got from organisers during the auction, saying it was his first and last IBL as Indian players were given preference for high price than the foreign players."

    He said foreign players, and not about himself. And as you have stated at your comment, this is SAD... SUPER SAD. that is what TH stated about his concerns... Badminton has been played world wide, we have a 'RANKING' system on which we can see how well foreign players should have played. The franchisees also can see the result of players from several last tournaments they entered and compared. If you would like to see, just compare, Markis Kido, former Olympic and world champion, rank within top 10 in MD and XD, and usually play 2 EVENTS at IBL, but how much does he get paid? and just check Also check Kido's teammate, K. Maneesha (Junior players), has no accomplishment, almost get paid twice of Kido. or also check
    Akshay Dewalkar and Pranav Jerry Chopra which get paid over twice of Kido. Pradanya Gadre get paid three times of Kido. Shall I compare more players to show you?

    I'm not really a fan of TH, or JG, or SN. But I have to say what TH said is totally correct. Regarding SN,and JG comments, I would have no comments, it will just shows their true personality, which I dont need to describe...

    I feel IBL is a good tournament to spread popularity of badminton to India, I have nothing against the tournament itself, its well organized, crowds are having fun, fans are having fun too can stream online world wide. But, I have a lot of things against the auction process of it. It shows either there is 'UNFAIR' treatment to foreign players OR.... the franchisees do not have knowledge of the badminton world and how well a players do at the professional levels.

  6. #618
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Badmintonshire
    Posts
    1,632
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    Well said, on the money there. Dunno why you said they did nothing wrong when you explained what Saina did wrong

    Taufik should have put a base price demand on his own head before agreeing to take part if it was a concern to him, then they would have had to pay the price for his marketable face or choose to not use him as part of the IBL promotion at a price all were comfortable at. Not sure if he was more talking about the money he received or the money for foreign players in general that he is aggrieved about more.

    I will say one thing, The foreigners have brought by far the most exciting matches and quality so far. You can tell from the crowds reactions as well as the fact. So to keep good life in this concept, the foreigner pay will have to be more in line next time. But I am sure this will happen so no complaint
    Gutta had said it very clearly, it's all about "RESPECT":

    See how IBL respect the foreign players:

    "Hidayat is not only player to have criticised the IBL auctions. Earlier, 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games gold medal-winning combination of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa had had slammed the League's decision to slash their base prices at the last moment, terming the move as "disrespectful" and "absurd".

    The IBL had reduced Jwala and Ashwini's base price to USD 25,000 from USD 50,000.

    Men's doubles specialists Rupesh Kumar and Sanave Thomas had also claimed that their base prices were slashed from USD 15,000 to USD 5,000 without their knowledge
    ."

    From "http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/badminton/212655-taufik-hidayat-says-indian-badminton-league-auction-was-not-fair"

    As for SN, what could I say? Just another exposure of her true character...

  7. #619
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,885
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rahuldarga View Post
    Craig, let me ask you this... if you were one of the franchisees would you have bought TH? I know I wouldn't... For all we know, TH is not the same man that he was in his hey days. In fact I was surprised that someone even bought him. If IBL occurred 3 or 4 years ago, I would have bet my own $100k to buy him for my team. As of today, I wouldn't no matter how low his base price would be. For example, how matches has he won so far in IBL? Has proved his $15k worth? If the answer is no, then how can he question his base price.... If he was talking in general about all the foreign players then I will for sure agree with him. Players like Ivanov, Tanonsak have been undersold compared to some of the Indian players who have been oversold. Although this is a sad state, we have to accept it 'coz this is the first edition and nobody knows players' true potential yet. Come next year, price corrections will occur. Some players' price will appreciate and for some it will depreciate.
    The reason I didnt find anything wrong what Saina said is because I am of same opinion. But I am an outsider to the sport so it doesnt matter what I think and what I say. But that's not the same case with SN. She should have kept quiet instead. The only thing wrong about what she said was the choice of words. I am a huge fan of her game and not the crap she gives off court. She is a lot different from the image she projects about herself and I dont blame her for that. Its the people who got it wrong with their assumptions. They have their expectations high and when she deviates from that they get disappointed. Indian crowd and media are very fickle, their loyalties have very short span. Unlike some people here in BC, not everyone can be a hardcore fan.
    Well Jwala Gutta got bought for more and her technique and bmi is worse than a lot of beginners sorry seriously though -

    Before the tournament started yes I would have. I would have had another role for him though probably not playing(maybe player coach then i have choice).

    The franchises were in the position at the start that they needed the Indian people on board (the fans i mean), because their main aim is to have a successful team, and to have a successful team it has to survive financially(that is the thinking) no interest means no money so eventually no team(for the franchisees they are only keen to get on board if they can use the image of helping India in sport for there companies marketing aswell) . Also Nobody over there, I am told knows many players from abroad (they know taufik and LCW only) and are always keen to support their own.

    So bearing all these points in mind you arrive at the pricing. These three points will continue to rule pricing at auction, but the goal posts are moving within these points. What people were sold at, they were sold at, to value them even now is impossible, although I can say Taufik was a big pull for marketing. He has probably brought more value to the tournament than TMN even though he has won a game and TMN sold for way more.

    Saina is a numpty for saying what she did, It was not an intelligent statement and she just blindly shot her mouth. She mirrors the thoughts of a lot of people here who would defend Indian players high prices(fair enough they are marketable) but then base taufik's price purely on skill?? It's Just stupid

  8. #620
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    783
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    Well Jwala Gutta got bought for more and her technique and bmi is worse than a lot of beginners sorry seriously though -

    Before the tournament started yes I would have. I would have had another role for him though probably not playing(maybe player coach then i have choice).

    The franchises were in the position at the start that they needed the Indian people on board (the fans i mean), because their main aim is to have a successful team, and to have a successful team it has to survive financially(that is the thinking) no interest means no money so eventually no team(for the franchisees they are only keen to get on board if they can use the image of helping India in sport for there companies marketing aswell) . Also Nobody over there, I am told knows many players from abroad (they know taufik and LCW only) and are always keen to support their own.

    So bearing all these points in mind you arrive at the pricing. These three points will continue to rule pricing at auction, but the goal posts are moving within these points. What people were sold at, they were sold at, to value them even now is impossible, although I can say Taufik was a big pull for marketing. He has probably brought more value to the tournament than TMN even though he has won a game and TMN sold for way more.

    Saina is a numpty for saying what she did, It was not an intelligent statement and she just blindly shot her mouth. She mirrors the thoughts of a lot of people here who would defend Indian players high prices(fair enough they are marketable) but then base taufik's price purely on skill?? It's Just stupid
    No body has a problem with the content of what SN said, we all agree with her point its just that SHE said it makes her the escapegoat? I second her opinion, JG on the other hand wanted to speak something... RESPECT what does she knows of it? She was bombarding every one and raising questions on the dredibility just a couple of days back.... and what does RESPECT means? Not to correct ones mistakes? make bad investments through out his life? Not buying him at that price wouldnt it be a disrespect?

    He said what he wished and so did SN as it was put to her in a way to defend IBL and she had to... but who forced TH or any other player for that matter to play? did he dindt agreed to that amount? Dont they have a signed deed? and if thats the case who isnt respecting it?

    We have all been trying to find out the reason for what amount which player gets and thats not that difficult to understand. And more so its the investors who are investing their money so its upto them...
    The point is good foreign players are aplenty while good Indian players hard to come by so the rice for Indian players is ought to be much much higher be it the next or the IBL after that... I dont see that changing. You have a cap on total spending and you have to keep more Indian players to win... so no questions....
    TH was asked something, SN was asked by the press for a rebuttle but,
    I dont understand why JG had to come in with her (surparnkha A character from an epic Ramayana where her nose is cut for poking in) nose...if JG had a problem with what was said she should have came up with logic not some random statements which mean nothing....
    Prakash Padukone was once All England Champion go buy him at a price more than JG's price, thats respect? Second everything he says no matter how right or wrong is that respect?

  9. #621
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,885
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gopalprasad View Post
    No body has a problem with the content of what SN said, we all agree with her point
    I don't agree with her point. She said he deserves no more money. Based on what?? Then take that bases and apply it to the other players and you will see your error. This league started off with Marketing as it's main priority not skill or competitiveness.

    Taufik speaking out about his own price is another matter, I don't think he has the right to say much since he had a choice of options from the start he can't turn round at this point and say anything. He does brings a lot to the table for marketability of the league for $15k, I can tell you that.

  10. #622
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,185
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gopalprasad View Post

    He said what he wished and so did SN as it was put to her in a way to defend IBL and she had to... but who forced TH or any other player for that matter to play? did he dindt agreed to that amount? Dont they have a signed deed? and if thats the case who isnt respecting it?

    We have all been trying to find out the reason for what amount which player gets and thats not that difficult to understand. And more so its the investors who are investing their money so its upto them...
    The point is good foreign players are aplenty while good Indian players hard to come by so the rice for Indian players is ought to be much much higher be it the next or the IBL after that... I dont see that changing. You have a cap on total spending and you have to keep more Indian players to win... so no questions....
    1. Yes, it is up to the franchisees/team on how much they want to spend on a players. That is why we saw how the unfair treatment on how much they get bought on the auction.

    2. I dont have a problem for Indian players to win more. It means they have to practice hard. It does not mean junior Indian players who are not even exposed on professional tour is bought higher than foreign players who are in good fitness, trained hard, get high world ranking, and winning some of worlds' prestigious tournaments

  11. #623
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,885
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    To put it simply they are like lambs to the slaughter when dealing with these kind of situations. Sporty solutionz and the franchisees are all savvy businessmen. Most Sportspeople especially badminton players with no agents, are in a business sense dumb, of course that's not their job they play badminton

    Take the Taufik case for instance. What he should have done is when he spoke to IBL prior to the event/auctions/Pr, he should have said I want a minimum of "X" amount of money and untill that is agreed upon/contracted you will not use my face or name to promote the league. I think he could have got a lot more money or sued them for using his name/face(if they did) for not keeping the contract. Sounds harsh but that's business. Both parties would have got fair value and everybody happy. (All the players should have had more savvy to get better deal but they are either happy and never bothered or too naive)

    So what happened was Taufik didn't get his business in order and he got ripped off(he no happy about money). The took him for a ride using his person without him getting fair value. tough Luck you shouldn't trust these business guy, they are not like a charity bwf style organization.

    For Saina to step in with her reasoning, she sounded like a...... well lets say to be nice she sounded like a sportperson

  12. #624
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Milton, Canada
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This is why players need agents. In high paying professional sports like football (not soccer) and basketball in america, players appoint professional agents who try to get them the best price.
    In IPL, same culture has emerged quickly. I think agents were employed in the second IPL onwards or something. These agents market players to investors, get more media interactions, make them newsworthy etc.
    IBL is not an BWF tournament. no one accrues ratings points for playing here. they are here for the money, and probably to have fun playing badminton (which they may not always have with the pressure to fight for points - conjecture on my part..)
    If they are unhappy about the money, don't come. If you want more money, do something for it in IBL or marketing yourself. Welcome to the world of sports modelling. Do the best players (ranking wise) get the best modelling/advertising contracts? No... Tennis is a classic example. In my younger days, Gabriella Sabatini was a more popular player than Martina Navratilova. She got more ads than Martina. Why people didnt cry foul then?
    Michael Jordan to this day more popular than many current and highly rated players. But he pulls in more interest.
    We need to stop tieing ratings to marketability. This is an auction. If you have ever been to an auction, you know that stupid stuff gets sold at record prices to defy logic many times. It is inherent in the nature of auction.

    as for JG, she is making statements, but not playing. Even her team management knows she is good only for courtside, but not inside the court.

  13. #625
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,885
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Missed that second tie tonight and I see Adwadhe beat Dehli smashers!

    So the dehli smashers have now played almost everyone and only won one tie and that was against top of the league team Hyderabad

    Should be some interesting Ties now we are getting to the crunch of the qualifying table.

    Delhi smashers seemed doomed from the start as their premium star player is Jwala Gutta

  14. #626
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,560
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well. There is an argument going on here regarding the comments given by the players. I wanna say one thing here. Its simple. If foreign players are not interested in the league, they could have told the media when they signed the contract. What's the point of telling it now?? Taufik and Saina, both of them had made their statements in the public. Well, though i am a big fan of Taufik, i must say that he is really childish in making such statement now in the middle of a tournament . And for saina, she made it very clear by pointing out the current situation(form) of Hidayat in international arena. Each and every player in the tournament (foreign players) are very happy for their inclusion in IBL. Not needed to mention about Boe's controversial statement and later his request to IBL organisers for his inclusion. This is one of the classic example i wanted to inform here. With which face he stepped inside INDIA again?? .

    I go with @abans here. This is not BWF tournament. All of them came here to earn money which they will never get in super series tournaments when most of the top guns present there. No points to improve your BWF tournaments. Just for fun. If you don't like the money with which you are auctioned, then it's not necessary to come here next year.
    Last edited by scorpion1; 08-22-2013 at 11:17 PM.

  15. #627
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jkt-Indo
    Posts
    9,018
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hyderabad Hotshots secures top position of team standing at the moment after they beat Mumbai Masters yesterday...

  16. #628
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    433
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Any idea where to book tickets for the finals in Mumbai?

  17. #629
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,560
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paroxysmal View Post
    Any idea where to book tickets for the finals in Mumbai?
    http://www.ticketgenie.in/IBL.php

Page 37 of 67 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •