Seeking advice from stringers in forum - grommet remover or grommet grinder ?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by maxout, Feb 19, 2013.

1. maxout

maxout Regular Member

I have budget to buy only ONE ... either a grommet remover (like Yonex AC 605) or a grommet grinder tool ...

Since I am not a stringer but need to change grommets every 3-4 restrings and my stringer does a pretty crappy job at grommet changes, so have to DIY.

As regular stringers and based on your experience, which in your opinion will be the best and most flexible to remove most kind of grommet problems ? :confused:

Thank you.

2. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    I've never used the grommet grinder, however I've found that the grommet remover does not suit in all situations. Sometimes, it just will not work and the way it deforms the grommet in those situations just makes it very hard to remove the grommet afterwards.

It does the job very well most of the time though.

Maybe someone else can share their experience with the grommet grinder. If it never fails, then I think it'll be a better choice.

3. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Thanks for the feedback and reply :)

I hope to hear from someone who has used a grommet grinder too.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I have neither. Even at the volume that I string I find doing by hand or simply using a pair of pliers is sufficient for the job. The 2 mins saved isn't worth it

5. vudoo

vudoo Regular Member

I don't have any of those tools. A pair of pliers works just as well

6. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

A pair of grooved long nose pliers usually gets the job done. But its when you get really old rackets of which the grommets are "stuck/melted" on the frame is when its the tricky one.

But sometimes, just get a flat head screwdriver and give it a 90 degree turn from the outside and they usually come loose and will come out easier.

7. solarbake

solarbake New Member

engineer
    I usually use a rab awl the very fine one they sell and stick it through sideways through the edge of the gromeet from outside the frame if that makes sense and lever them out seems to work with out any damage or marks to the frame.

8. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Yes, you are right, it is an OLD racquet, my old Yonex B8100 Blacken, almost half of the grommets have "melted" (to use your terminology) into the frame and I am trying to find the best way to remove them without damaging the old boy too much.

9. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Grinder. I rarely use the remover. Grinder fits better in my tray, Remover bulky. Grinder can so single pass grommets, remover tough. When I string Arc Z slashes I use grinder to turn the covered single pass crosses 90 degrees so easier to go through. sometimes do on Z Forces too at high tensions. Grinder useful to turn grommets to get a little more life out of them.