User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChubbyCheshire View Post
    Trouble is we don't know what she is objecting too - but the fact that Bankier left for similar reasons is concerning. It would appear from the FB comments that Jens Grills is coming into some criticism - but also the hierarchy is being criticised suggesting this is not a new problem and merely a resistance to change.

I suspect further negotiations will take place and it will get brushed under the carpet and we'll never find out what really happened.
    Both Bankier and Wallwork stated that it was for one main point that they (the 2 players) wanted to dictate their own programme basically and the set up wants to do it their own way. Seems pretty standard. I would say the only way to proof who is right and who is wrong all boils down to results at the end of the day. So let's see it. Less moaning more action!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglehelang View Post
    It is true in a sense. The Association is the one who endorse & sends the entries. They can ban a player if they want, happened before with Msia's Tan Chun Seang. So, if a player is not in the good books of Badminton England, they can make life difficult if the player goes independent.
    Doubt they would ban her if she wanted to compete independently, nobody has said that or even implied that. If she has been told that and there is a confirmation letter then there would be cause for concern.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    Don't think so. her quote "You can play the local tournaments but ultimately Badminton England are the association that enter you into the big tournaments."

She reckons she can't become independent lol
    But Bob Blair enters doubles tournaments, and did so even when he was between associations - and Andrew Smith was very unpopular with BE and he enters too - so much so he is no. 2 in England - so there must be some way round even if it's a bit tricky ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doubt they would ban her if she wanted to compete independently, nobody has said that or even implied that. If she has been told that and there is a confirmation letter then there would be cause for concern.
    No that would be step too far !

I reckon it will be resolved fairly quickly, and perhaps a bit of bad publicity before the All England is better than none !

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, just saying the local BA do have the power. For Badminton England it would be bad publicity if they even imply such thing. An independent player's entry do need to go thru their country's BA.

Msia's case is different, BAM do show power and have at times made life difficult for the independent players. TCS's 1.5 years ban in Asia was one, GanTC/TBS not getting to go WC was another, earlier was forgetting to send Roslin Hashim's entry to 2 tournaments costing Roslin valuable WR pts. One of the players fear if they resign is BAM may ban them

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglehelang View Post
    Yeah, just saying the local BA do have the power. For Badminton England it would be bad publicity if they even imply such thing. An independent player's entry do need to go thru their country's BA.

Msia's case is different, BAM do show power and have at times made life difficult for the independent players. TCS's 1.5 years ban in Asia was one, GanTC/TBS not getting to go WC was another, earlier was forgetting to send Roslin Hashim's entry to 2 tournaments costing Roslin valuable WR pts. One of the players fear if they resign is BAM may ban them
    These are exceptional cases and Malaysia do allow independents(Robert Blair's partner coincidentally). My point was though by Jenny's statement she would have you believe it is not possible to become independent, only play in local tournaments which is not true, many players do it. So "ultimately" it is down to her if she wants to compete in big tournaments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably doesn't want to self fund.

I sometimes wonder if badminton would do better if it steered away from playing for your country (except at Olympics etc) and was more like tennis, where you play for yourself (except at Olympics/ Davis Cup) ?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably doesn't want to self fund.

I sometimes wonder if badminton would do better if it steered away from playing for your country (except at Olympics etc) and was more like tennis, where you play for yourself (except at Olympics/ Davis Cup) ?
    Not enough money in the game for that, IMO. The national funding allows more athletes to compete and it not be an elitist sport (like Tennis can be - disclaimer, I play both )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by msitpro View Post
    Not enough money in the game for that, IMO. The national funding allows more athletes to compete and it not be an elitist sport (like Tennis can be - disclaimer, I play both )
    I agree, but is it a Catch 22, no money so you have to play for your country, but no money invested because you play for your country ?

I wish it got more TV time - much better to watch than tennis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She has just posted on her FB:

Mail Online.. Statement from Badminton England "There had been no indication of my unhappiness"...

It is beyond belief that Badminton england claim that my resignation was a shock to them and that they claim there was no indication of my unhappiness. When for the past 8 months i have undergone countless meetings, a formal Grievance procedure and a meeting with the chief executive himself to state that i was considering withdrawing myself from the GB programme.

Taken them by surprise...I think not!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brennanlord View Post

Mail Online.. Statement from Badminton England "There had been no indication of my unhappiness"...

It is beyond belief that Badminton england claim that my resignation was a shock to them and that they claim there was no indication of my unhappiness. When for the past 8 months i have undergone countless meetings, a formal Grievance procedure and a meeting with the chief executive himself to state that i was considering withdrawing myself from the GB programme.

yup just saw this...quite sad. is it usefull now to engage in a public clash between her and Badminton England ? not sure there will be a winner, in the end of the day..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brennanlord View Post

I'm glad she's posted that. Really glad.

It makes it clear that the BE statement was a lie. The implication of their statement is that she hasn't communicated her problems, thus giving them no chance to address them, and that she acted rashly in quitting. The reality appears to be the opposite.

It's not a clever first step by BE. If it was simply a case that Wallwork was being unreasonable in her requests then they could have come out and said that. e.g. 'regretfully no common ground could be found...etc etc. However they didn't and instead feined ignorance. Tends to make me believe her more than them...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thom_bad View Post
    yup just saw this...quite sad. is it usefull now to engage in a public clash between her and Badminton England ? not sure there will be a winner, in the end of the day..
    Exactly. This is an exercise in trying to hurt Badminton England and the UK set up rather than what is best for herself. Can't understand why she would all out retire?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sounds like a silly decision to me. You can't always have it your way. I do my job pretty well too but I still have to follow the rules of my boss and it's the same rules for all. What she basically doing is quitting her job because she can't have an individual lay-up designed just for her and now she's gonna what, quit the sport? Or come crawling back? Of course I don't know the details so maybe I'm being too harsh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And what if your company rules mean that you can't compete with other companies?
    I'd leave if that were the case; I don't want to live frustrated by my work, and nor should she need to. Simple as that.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But Jenny cannot become a citizen of Wales or Scotland as they all come under UK citizenship. I believe you can only switch allegiances within the UK if there is some ancestory from that country.
    My point is that you do not have to be a citizen of a country to play for that country with the following exceptions - a) the Olympics, or 2) team events (Sudirman Cup etc)

I remember Pi Hong Yan played under Denmark and France. Zhou Mi, Wang Chen played under HK. Eng Hian/Flandy played under England.

If not Wales or Scotland, then another country is a option.

Given that BE were (formally) her employers, she does have to comply with company policy. But if she thinks she can do better overall without the company, then this is only reasonable. If she needs to then, she is free to look for another company (i.e. another national association if they will have her), or be independent (which is not without precedent).

Quote Originally Posted by ChubbyChesire
    I agree, but is it a Catch 22, no money so you have to play for your country, but no money invested because you play for your country ?
    Training facilities, flights, coaches, support system equals no money invested?
    Last edited by Cheung; 02-27-2013 at 05:13 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    My point is that you do not have to be a citizen of a country to play for that country with the following exceptions - a) the Olympics, or 2) team events (Sudirman Cup etc)

I remember Pi Hong Yan played under Denmark and France. Zhou Mi, Wang Chen played under HK. Eng Hian/Flandy played under England.

If not Wales or Scotland, then another country is a option.

Given that BE were (formally) her employers, she does have to comply with company policy. But if she thinks she can do better overall without the company, then this is only reasonable. If she needs to then, she is free to look for another company (i.e. another national association if they will have her), or be independent (which is not without precedent).

Training facilities, flights, coaches, support system equals no money invested?
    I think she means no money invested as in, less big sponsors are attracted to badminton because it remains a team sport not independent stars. She is trying to say players remaining within their country set up is hurting the commercial side of badminton.

She would never train in Scotland or Ireland. Although if she came to Scotland she could be the partner that Bankier needs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast