User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default String tension varies by different countries?

Hey guys,

Can't seems to find any thread on this (or maybe I didn't look hard enough).

I used to string my racquets at 24lbs in Malaysia. When I came to Australia, strung a racquet at 24lbs, it was nowhere near the 24lbs that I strung in Malaysia (the strings can easily be moved up and down if you get what I mean). So in Australia, I have to string the racquet at least 27 lbs in order to get into the desired tension.

Has anyone came across with something like this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe in Australia the stringer pre-weaves the racquet before stringing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could also be top-down vs bottom-up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

different stringer, different machine, different technique.

different results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    different stringer, different machine, different technique.

different results.
    Good point - it's possible to get "different" tensions from two stringers who live in the same street, never mind different countries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well .. it just seems weird to have such a significant different between stringers from different countries. Especially when the racquet says max tension is 25lbs, when I told the stringer in Australia that I want to string at 28 lbs, he was like "are you sure? @.@ and gave me the shocking look. He even said the racquet might break lol". But when he strung it at 28 lbs, it is still a little bit loose compare to my other racquet strung in Malaysia @ 25 lbs.

Or maybe its just the different in techniques, who knows..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, sometimes stringers lie to you, in an attempt to protect you from yourself. This can be quite annoying.

I knew a 12 year old Oxfordshire county junior who boasted about playing at 27 lbs -- because as we all know, playing at pro tensions makes you pro. I pinged his racket strings, which told me he was actually playing at 22 lbs maximum (probably 21).

The stringer had lied to him. In this case, it was probably the right thing to do.

8. Likes gundamzaku liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    You know, sometimes stringers lie to you, in an attempt to protect you from yourself. This can be quite annoying.

I knew a 12 year old Oxfordshire county junior who boasted about playing at 27 lbs -- because as we all know, playing at pro tensions makes you pro. I pinged his racket strings, which told me he was actually playing at 22 lbs maximum (probably 21).

The stringer had lied to him. In this case, it was probably the right thing to do.
    This is possibly dangerous - the next stringer he goes to might actually give him 27...

10. Likes gundamzaku liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    This is possibly dangerous - the next stringer he goes to might actually give him 27...
    Yup!

When this happens, I warn the player. If they still want that tension, I do it to prove my point.

They'll usually come back with broken strings within a few days. If they don't, they come back with shoulder pain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    That's true.

I think the most responsible thing might have been to say, "No, you're still a kid and that tension will hurt you. I'll need a letter from your coach before I go above 23."

Not necessarily good for business, but responsible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what I can say is matter of machine and technique.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    Yup!

When this happens, I warn the player. If they still want that tension, I do it to prove my point.

They'll usually come back with broken strings within a few days. If they don't, they come back with shoulder pain.
    It's much the easiest way to prove the point. I just hope you can refrain from a very easy "told you!".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eatan2 View Post
    Well .. it just seems weird to have such a significant different between stringers from different countries. Especially when the racquet says max tension is 25lbs, when I told the stringer in Australia that I want to string at 28 lbs, he was like "are you sure? @.@ and gave me the shocking look. He even said the racquet might break lol". But when he strung it at 28 lbs, it is still a little bit loose compare to my other racquet strung in Malaysia @ 25 lbs.

eatan2, have you just tried one stringer in Australia? Before guessing the issues you are encountering might be from country differences, it would be worthwhile to see if you experienced similar results from yet another Australia stringer. From one stringer to another, there can be large calibration differences on poundage, especially with the ones using crank machines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As everyone has said already, even the same stringer can vary on the same day.

If you want to be sure, you have to check stringbed frequency. There's a few threads on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could ask him :

-What machine
    -which string
    -does he ad tension for tie offs and crosses
    -does he pull multiple strings at once(if he pulls 3 at once its not good, it is sad but it happens even at Yonex Dutch open)

When you know this you could explain the difference. Or his fixed clamps are slipping... then never return

I hope you will find a answer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eatan2 View Post

as mentioned, depending on the stringer and stringing machine involved, you can have very different results.

before i got my own machine, i went to a local gym, asked for 24lbs, and i swear it was at most 18lbs when i got it back. that's when i decided it was not worth the gamble everytime with kids and mom at the local gyms doing my stringing.

so now i string my own and i can guarantee that i have the same tension everytime. and while i cannot tell u my tension is the absolute golden reference, it is closer and more consistent than going elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So does pre-weaving cause lower than desired tension or just more string movement?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast