How to improve on drop shots?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Justheretoplay, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Justheretoplay

Justheretoplay Regular Member

Student
    Hey all! Just wondering how I could improve on my drop shots and get them closer to the net. All the videos I have looked at so far only show the technique on how to do the shot, but none on how I could get the shuttlecock closer to the net. Could you guys give me some tips on how I could improve my drop shots so that they land closer to the net instead of landing near the service line? Cheers :p

2. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Take the shuttle as high as possible

Correct wrist action

3. Justheretoplay

Student
    Can you expand on correcting wrist action? I thought the technique for drop shots shares the same stroke as a clear except you contact the shuttle further in front and with less power.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

i would say try starting with a normal smash swing, but then suddenly decelerate and "push" the shuttle at contact and follow thru

this provides an added level of deception, so that your opponent finds it difficult to distinguish between your smash action and your drop action

once you get the hang of the action, gradually gauge how much push and follow thru you need to get it just over the tape

additionally, sometimes you want a fast drop with pace (esp if your opponent is hogging the net) so all you need is to add a tapping action to it in order to throw off your opponent

5. Justheretoplay

Student
    I'll try that the next day I get to play and see how it turns out. Thanks for the advice :D

6. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    for steep drop try hitting forwards more than downwards. hit it with little power so that it starts to slow and drop while still on your own side. It should cross the net at the same point as a fast drop but when it does it will be travelling almost downwards rather than diagonally downwards. slicing also makes it drop more vertically. its a bit like a very weak attacking clear.

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    here...

[video=youtube;txL-eKLgBJM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txL-eKLgBJM[/video]

[video=youtube;6YOi75Lf_LM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YOi75Lf_LM[/video]

[video=youtube;tJ_AbmEp1Og]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ_AbmEp1Og[/video]

8. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i was told that when you are about to his a drop shot and trying to be deceptive, at the moment of impact squeeze the handle, this way your swing will slow down for the drop shot. i often use it. took a while to learn and get use to but when it's executed properly, it's great. because i'm left handed, i also add a slice toward the left, which forces the shuttle to spin left, then midway thru the flight of the shuttle, it will slow down in order to spin right again, which helps with the pace of the shuttle.

i believe a shuttle will fly with a "correct" clockwise rotation if you're behind the shuttle looking at it while it's flying away from you. adding spin to the shuttle will change the pace of the shuttle.

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That is an interesting comment. It's never something I've used in coaching, but now that I think about it, I have found that useful as a player. Thanks! :)

This also neatly demonstrates that tightening the grip (as used for power) is very different from squeezing the grip, but now I'm getting ahead of myself...;)

10. visor

visor Regular Member

^ ^ I think that squeezing the grip helps to lock out the wrist to suddenly cut down power, then along with an exaggerated shoulder and arm movement to impart remaining momentum onto the bird,
    one can fool the opponent even more.

#10 visor, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, I think that describes it perfectly. And now I want to see how this works as a coaching cue!

12. phili

phili Regular Member

Thanks for that advice. This made my drop shots even harder to read and I scored several direct points with it today. :D

13. jiuren

jiuren New Member

No, which videos have you checked? There are tons of wrong videos on youtube.
    The right way to do drop shot is to slice the shuttlecock.
    Suppose you are right handed player, slicing from left to right is normal dropshot. Slicing from right to left is so called horizontal slicing dropshot.
    You need keep your preparation and swing as identical as possible to high clear and smash but use less power. When your racket touch the shuttlecock, slice it.

You can check Zhao Jianhua's video instrcutions on youtube. His motion is the most deceptive and beautiful one in my opinion. I also like Lee chongwei's, but he wouldn't give any video instructions in the near future:)

14. jiuren

jiuren New Member

I would not follow Lee Zae bok's instructions on clear, drop, or smash. His videos on footwork and drive are great. But dropshot, smash and clear are kind of wrong. It's hard to find any international player play that way.

15. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Watching video especially on the technique of hitting can be quite difficult

and if you got it wrong, the outcome could be disastrous :D

suggest you get a qualified coach to do the demonstration

and watch carefully.

Also, drop shot especially with the deceptive style is the hardest skill to master.

its like a backcourt clear but the bird is not going to the baseline

or like a smash/drive but the bird just land softly an inch over the net!

It requires regular practice especially for doubles player.

16. malinosega

malinosega Regular Member

student
    Just to remember not every drop u want to be as close as possible to the net. When u r in pressure n do drop shot when shuttle is net height or lower from back court, try to push it deep coz u dont want the opponent to tap or play a very tight net shot. Well in singles at least cos i m a single player.

17. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    correct, especially if your opponent is able to move fast to the net area to squeeze the bird hard :D

18. StefanDO

StefanDO Regular Member

PhD student (Neuropsychology)
    Like my former boss would say: "You always pay a price." ;-) With respect to drop shots, that means: Tight to the net = slow (giving the opponent more time to move to the net and play a good net shot instead of a lift, maybe even a net kill). Fast drops, however, are not so close to the net. Anyway, both kinds of drops are usually effective if opponents are far away from the net. In order to achieve this, you should also try to get a good smash: A good smash forces the opponents to get closer to the baseline (to get enough time to defend). So when your opponents have to expect a smash, you can effectively use a drop shot. On the contrary, if your opponents know that e.g. your backhand is too weak for a backhand clear - forcing you to a backhand drop always - they will get closer to the net, and your (backhand) drop shots will become ineffective. In that case I would work on my backhand clear or try to rotate in the backhand corner in order to hit a forehand clear (or drop).