little changes, big differences....

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Nov 4, 2003.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    most of us are constantly learning how to play badminton and try to improve here and there, have you ever found little changes in your techniques that makes a big difference? here are a couple of things that i have found that makes a difference in my game:

1. on ready stance, aside from feet shoulder apart, these are two things that really helped me be mobile:

- stands on the ball of the feet, and always bounce around.
      - crouch down, and crouch down by a lot. i am tall and always have problem starting, crouching down made a lot of difference.
    2. just before overhead stroke, make sure i plant down right leg. the planting of the right leg helps initiates the body rotation
    3. on preparation of overhead stroke, make sure elbows are raised to form straight line between shoulders and upper arm.
    4. on preparation of overhead stroke, i found that supinating the wrist so that the racket shaft and forearm forms a straight line really helps in power.
      [/list=1]

these are just minor adjustment to correct for bad habits, but sometimes little reminders like these can help fixing bad habits.

what are yours?

2. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Grips!

When coaching players I find even "advanced" players have never looked at diffferent grips or how they grip their racket. Often grip size of juniors is far too big, the old thinking "bigger is better" especially for people who get tennis elbow still continues.

A looser grip, a smaller racket grip and corrections to the grip for the various strokes and areas of the court can open up whole new ranges of shot.

3. freeheeler

freeheeler Regular Member

store manager
    little changes.. make BIG differences

I have been getting lessons from a great chinese coach recently, 2 in fact and these are really the first proper badminton coaching lessons I have ever had in my 35 yrs of playing

Keeping the racket up and in front of me,

as with you kwun, keeping lower, this makes a big difference when defending

footwork, footwork, footwork. Longer and fewer strides

hold the racket further down the grip for clears and smashes, up for drops. This made a big difference which suprised me, especially for the clears

hitting the shuttle and already coming forward on your movement instead of hitting, stopping and then moving forward

lots of other little things, just finished a session so tooooo tired to think of any others.

I need to go over these things again and again in my head to become use to them. I make a few mistakes as it's like starting all over again but I already notice a big difference.

4. teddy

teddy Regular Member

From what you said, is a grip wrong when after hitting many shots, the grip peels off?

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I find these changes in me that makes alot of difference in my games.

Set my mind to feel relax in a game. Once i do that everything seems to be reachable and i can feel that i can see more angles. My stance and strides are smoother than before. Defence seems to be quicker and faster. When i'm relax in a game , i feel that i don't use unnecessary energy.

Relaxed and firm grip. My wrist movement is more flexible. My arm don't feel so tired easily.

Whip instead of full swing. Movement and recovery will be quicker.

6. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Timing

The difference the correct timing can make is immense since it is a fundimental thing that can have such a huge variation on your shots and consistency

DLP

Long live the old style player who relly on wrist movements with a thick grip, somehow I still feel I get a better smash with 3 overgrips instead of the 3 layers of grap. BUT you are entrley correct, the people that I coach who have been playing for a while love their big grips instead of using tiny amounts of adjustment with a thin grip to play shots they relly on experience and (dare I say it when they use so many grips) touch

7. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
    Raise the racket up high --> as mentioned by FreeHeeler. I think it's easier to control the ball and to do deceptive actions with the racket up high because the opponent can hardly know whether the stroke will be a strong, e.g. a clear or a smash, or a weak one, e.g. a drop.

Hit the shuttle in front of you, at its peak point, with your arm straight --> I used to hit the bird right above me (with a bending arm) until someone told me to hit it in front of me in its peak point with a straight arm and I found it much easier to control the ball, power could wholy applied, and my arms feel more comfy.

Footwork and fast movement --> Keep bouncing around and no lengthy step because it can harm your balance if your lengthy step is actually not lengthy enough to catch the ball (an exception was Susi Susanti who was famous for her split to catch the ball!). Fast movement and thought are indeed important because this game is played so fast. And, don't wait for the ball to come to your position, instead, chase the ball when it's in its peak point. It will give you a greater control over the birdie and might also be your opponent instead of having the birdie - or the opponent - to control you.

Release tension after hitting --> Tension after hitting needs to be released to relax the arm and reduce the possibility of harming the upper arm and the tendons.

Would love to hear more from the others ;)

#7 sayakeren, Nov 4, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2003
  8. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I actually find that the two points above work together to get one to :

1. Hit the bird before it falls too low for proper overhead shots. Try hitting a drop with the shuttle already past the level of your wrist and you'll find your arm twisting and bending to accomodate the altitude, and since that the shuttle is already too low, with the effect of gravity, the shuttle will be hard to hit to go over the net, oftentimes ending up stuck at the net. This thing was taught to me by my usual doubles partner when he noticed that all my backhands and drops were not working.

2. Transfer the energy properly. As you reach upwards, the forward-swinging momentum of your arm will bring your racquet side forwards. By keeping a stance of standing on the balls of your feet, you are more 'inclined' to step forwards for the the follow through, thus helping to transfer the energy in the final impact of the racquet face against the shuttle.

Funnily enough I only began to appreciate the benefits of proper footwork which I used to dismiss as 'the unnecessary, pro-stuff' after 10 years of playing the game. Coached by my brother and his doubles partner, I was told to stand at the balls of my feet and loosen up the joints for the springy effect, as well as shuffling and taking longer strides rather than many small steps and the results were good. I began to feel :

1. Less fatigued in movements, especially in singles-type games as I have been experimenting with the full court solo game much of late. It feels as if it's more economic and less energy sapping that the unpredictable small steps. I have been able to stay longer on the court of late by minimizing the need to run around.

2. Additional speed. By shuffling, I felt as if I could get to the shuttle half a second faster than normal and recovering to neutral in greater balance. The spring action of the legs DOES help in keeping me stable as well. That I didn't know. ;)

Others?

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    No other contributions from me.

Just like to ssay I played and ex-GuangXi player the other week.

Very much faster than me. I guess he was only messing around. But I did feel that I lurch around around with my movement.

Basically, the problem is in doubles, I have the bad habit of standing straight. Normally, my games are not so fast so I hadn't noticed. Always simple things first, next time, I'll remember to crouch more.

10. sagara0510

sagara0510 Regular Member

Student
    sorry to ask such questions but...how does crouching help??

i do it all the time as well when i am waiting for the serve and i do it while i am playing basketball as well...but it is just an automatic thing for me and i always thought i look quite weird but couldn't change the habit...

also when i am going for an overhead hit...i tend to start facing sideways to the shuttle...as in my torso is not facing the net...but just as i am abt to hit the shuttle i straighten up...but i don't think my right foot is planted....is that bad? should my torso be facing the net at all times?

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

We are refering to crouching after the shuttle is played. In fact if you do it normally, that's good.

Why crouch? Think of it this way....which one would help you move your body faster from a stationary position with two feet planted on the ground? Crouching or standing straight?

Which position gives you a lower centre of gravity? Straight or crouched?

Dose a high centre of gravity or a low centre of gravity aid acceleration? (hint, athletics and starting position of runners)

12. sagara0510

sagara0510 Regular Member

Student
    ohhh ok yes i think i understand now

you gave me some really good examples there Cheung.

Thanks for helping me out :)

13. manabu

manabu Regular Member

Dr
    as mentioned b4 by some good BFer (kwun was dat u??)

THE PINKY GRIP!!!!!

thats the best advice I've ever learnt about badminton

14. Framerate

Framerate Regular Member

IT-related
    Exactly how is it? Any pictures?

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Search under the thread "finger power"... it's a long one... have fun reading it:p

16. woop.

woop. Regular Member

Last time I tried it my racquet went flying across the court.

17. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Is he a right hander from Beihai, Guangxi?

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Don't worry, we got pictures of an alternative grip to post. Just have to find them! Actually, could be quite good for a survey.

19. freeheeler

freeheeler Regular Member

store manager
    Had

another lesson today from Mike. Felt a bit lethargic after the long hours at work over thanksgiving

Anyway some more points.

1. My footwork moving to the back of the court. Taking one more stride so that instead of overreaching for the birdy, upon playing my stroke I will be already on my way back to the neutral position. I was also still taking short strides to get to the back of the court instead of long ones which used up more energy and just two long strides to get back to the neutral spot

2. Less leaping for my clears and drops from the back of the court. Timing is more difficult and it uses up more energy. I tried this and it did help alot.

3. After service and you await the return he said to try and keep at least 60% of your weight in a more forward position instead of on your whole foot, I hope you understand that. I guess on the balls of your feet would be the best way to say it.

4. Other points he went over again were just to relax more, it saves energy, taking the shuttle higher at the net and not letting it drop too much

Just need to go and practice these things now!!!!!

20. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Biggest jump in my game I've had is learning to read your opponents & spotting the spaces.

Figured out a long while back that it doesn't matter how hard you can smash or how good your drops are as past a certain level the quality of your opponents means they are able to handle it.

It's about being able to spot their weaknessesor see the spaces.
    Adapt your own game, manouvure & work the shuttle so that you or your partner can get that winning shot.