“Virtual Badminton Coach” will be launched on 19-April-2013

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by chris-ccc, Feb 26, 2013.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

Whoa... PG is expanding his online coaching series! :D

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

4. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    yeah, i can't wait, it's awesome to see that there is a next phase in a pro badminton's career after retiring from just playing, and that it is not the end. of course from what i can see in the US, a lot of "smart" athletes do have some kind of investments. but with PG, it is absolutely wonderful to see that even after entertaining us for 10+ years as a player, he will still continue to contribute to the badminton community. :)

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

There are already 15,778 people who have clicked 'like' today

Yes, that's another link directing us there. :):):)

According to facebook, there are already 15,778 people (today) who have clicked 'like' when there are still 51 days before we find out what video exercises & the development tools will be shown. :):):)

#5 chris-ccc, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  6. nic96

nic96 Regular Member

Looking forward to it , seems like an interesting approach to a new level of coaching :):)

Regards

7. amleto

amleto Regular Member

It will be all of the videos and exercises that have been available for years. The new bits are the apps and 'coaches' etc.

8. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    I am looking forward to seeing this too. After all, coaches still learn from other coaches and players!

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

9. CoachEngholm

CoachEngholm Regular Member

Professional Badminton coach
    Virtual Badminton Coach

Hello everybody.

First of all we are so happy to see that everybody is ready for Virtual Badminton Coach :)
    We can tell you all that we will add 100 new and cool videos, and they will all be free from the 19th of April.

Next we want to share this facebook event where you all can see the first screenshots of Virtual Badminton Coach: http://www.facebook.com/events/452717531410720/

Last, thank you all so much for spreading the word :)
    Best from us at BestOnCourt

#9 CoachEngholm, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  10. gerald1994

gerald1994 Regular Member

Student
    Wow this looks really amazing! Am eagerly looking forward to its launch! :)

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

BestOnCourt

Thanking CoachEngholm for explaining to us about what we are expecting to find when Virtual Badminton Coach gets started.

Because some of our BCers are not using facebook, perhaps BCers can also post/comment about Virtual Badminton Coach when it gets started.

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Only 10 more days to go

Only 10 more days to go.

Hope that everything (as planned) is on schedule.

Some of my trainees (including myself) are waiting impatiently for their 1st coaching info. :):):)

13. amleto

amleto Regular Member

There does not seem to be 100 new exercises on the site. I've subscribed as it doesn't cost much, although it appears that you get free access to all the videos so I'm not sure how much value there is in the subscription - it enables some extra menus but there isn't much functionality in most of them - just note keeping and personal evaluation. One of the menus does seem to allow direct communication with your coach when/if they sign up.

bad things - they are a plain text offender. How do I know? They send you your password in plain text in an email - very poor form!

To get connected with your coach you need to know their email address instead of some user name. This is pretty bad as well.

#13 amleto, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Although I haven't found time to follow what has been added in "Virtual Badminton Coach”, thank you for your comment. I am also interested in other BCers comments yet to come.
    :):):)

#14 chris-ccc, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  15. byakuugan

byakuugan Regular Member

Yeah, I noticed this as well. I always registered with a random password to check for this kind of thing.
    At least when you did the "forgot your password", they reset it to a random password.
    Video quality also is not too great and not too bad. Playback button and navigation can also be improved a bit. That's it for the technical and non-badminton related things.

For the content, I loved how they have lots of them on initial release. I have not subscribed yet as I don't see any need of it presently. I might subscribe later considering it doesn't cost a lot.

16. F1Fan

F1Fan New Member

Here are my feedback:

I was waiting for this website and signed up first thing today morning. I was very surprised by the website sending my password in plain text in my email. so they are basically not encrypting the password using hash and salt algorithm or they are encrypting the password after sending the password via the email. Maybe it was the requirements and not lack of technical capability. So I will give the benefit of the doubt about the website security and still hope it is secure website.

I was looking forward to new videos but I didn't find that many. Although the subscription benefit is limited but for under €3 a month its not bad. I don't have a coach; so there is no feature to search for coach and add one. I want a coach there; how do i get one?

Although the videos are grouped into categories like Racket Technique, Footwork etc. I have no idea where to start. Do I start from my grip, physical fitness, footwork, racket technique and work my way through levels? There must be some sort of structure. I would like to be a good standard club player; so where do I start to be a good club player?

I think the website is good but it could have been a whole lot better and hope it gets much much better.

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I haven't had a chance to look at this yet, but I'd like to bring some pragmatism to the discussion of password security:

You should not expect badminton coaches to be experts on website security. They almost certainly just hired some developers, and probably on a tight budget.

Security is fundamentally about trust, not technology. Do not trust a random website with sensitive passwords. That is foolish. Your bank account password should be different from your Badminton Central password!

A practical approach is to use one password for all "disposable" logins. For example, my BC password is the same as on other forums. This doesn't matter, because if someone cracks my BC account I don't care that much.

If someone cracks my bank account or email, that's a serious problem. So passwords for these websites should be unique. Even better, add two-step authentication if you can -- this is vastly more secure than relying on just a password.

I'm not condoning the practice of sending / storing plain-text passwords. My own coaching website hashes them, and uses temporary passwords for resets; but I made the website myself, and I'm more geeky than the average coach. ;) Nevertheless, there is little point moaning about insecure websites. There will always be insecure websites, but you can fix the problem permanently by brushing up your own practices.

#17 Gollum, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  18. F1Fan

F1Fan New Member

I totally agree with your comment there gollum; but its not the question of using your bank account password with BC password or bestoncourt password etc. I use throw away passwords and secure passwords as well.

The question of password and website security is raised as the website takes monthly subscriptions via debit/credit cards. If they have dropped their ball about passwords; how are they with debit/credit card details. Are they storing them? Were they encrypted etc.

The website is secure in terms of debit/credit cards as they are using third-party providers to process payments. I have checked these and happy with those.

So comments about passwords just raises the question about how well other parts of the websites have been developed. Like I said; its possible sending passwords via email must have been one of the requirements.

The website looks professionally built and secure. Hence I was happy to pay for it. Passwords were just observations.

19. amleto

amleto Regular Member

The site will not provide a coach. It is up to you to find a local one. If you are a beginner then you need someone to watch you even if you just do the beginner exercises.

20. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Well, very few websites store or transmit card details at all, as the legal issues about PCI compliance are severe.

But I suppose it's a matter of perception too. If something alarms a potential customer, it could lead to a loss of sales.