tournament filming

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by blckknght, Nov 4, 2003.

1. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    I thought of a useful idea. most people would agree that it is helpful to video tape themselves playing badminton. even more so in tournament situations. However, it can be a hassle to bring along the camera equipment and tripod. so i thought hey, maybe someone could set up a service for people to sign up, pay small fee, and have their games taped. it would be a good way for tournament organizers to collect some more income for future events, plus it would help the players. what do you all think?

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    It would be a good idea. Since not many can afford to buy their own videocam. But you will have a problem if everyone wants their game to be taped. You might have to invest in more than 1 videocam.

3. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    I think that's a great idea but I can see some potential obstacles. The major one being cost. I don't think a "small" fee would cut it. I'm sure there's a good reason why professional and even semi-professional videographers charge quite a lump of money to tape any event. Just the time, equipment, and man power involved could be overwhelming. What if 5 different matches all want their games taped at the same time? Most local tournaments usually have at least 6 courts going at once during eliminations. That's a lot of equipment and people to man them. Most home video cameras, even with wide-angle lens add-ons, have trouble capturing an entire court of badminton including the high ceiling. You'd have to be in an optimal position behind each court and about 15 meters back. Even then the people on screen are usually quite small then and hard to make out actual stroke technique. Better cameras can capture more but the prices of those things are crazy. And if lighting isn't great, you might end up with some unhappy customers.

I can see your idea working out in an optimal situation but unless tournaments are always held at one place that has just the perfect setup, then it might not be practical. However, I still think it's a great idea because I would love to see myself on tape and analyze everything I do wrong (long list :D). Perhaps you can figure something out to make it work :).

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    how much are you going to charge? i think it is ok to earn a little money on the side. but i don't think it will be a big money earning idea as the audience for the recording is quite narrow, namely the players playing in the court and thus the demand for such a thing will be small yet the labor involved is high...

5. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    agree the labor could be painful... not to mention the fact that if I were to do it, I could forget about playing in the tournament:) it would be nice though to have a few cameras available so that people could have their games taped - perhaps have a sign up limited to the number of cameras you have, and just rotate cameras as you go. just an idea on the runway still.

6. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    There are also laws which may come in to play, if you are in the UK you have to get permission from the player/parents if anyone is below 18 just in case you are just filming kids for other reasons. So I would assume other countires would have simmilarly protective pieces of legislation.

Even if you are filming groups of adults, if there is a junior in the background you need to ask permission, if they object you are scuppered.

7. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

And even if the tournament organisers and players agree, the leisure centre or venue have to agree to allow filming on their premises. To protect themselves from the same laws Dill mentioned

8. Rohly

Rohly Regular Member

good idea but you would have to be good at filming and provide a good quality end product or nobody would pay you.

9. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    I am good at filming. the issues would indeed be as Dill and Niel mentioned, and those issues could be pretty decisive. It was a good idea in theory, maybe it could still work somehow, i'll have to think about it a bit more. thanks for the replies, by the way!