User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MD comment.

the games were all very close. Milroy and chan are definitely 'more' experienced and older than the korean junior pair. From an interview before the game, milroy gave some interpretation of korean strategy vs their. Near the end of the interview, milroy said 'if we have to, we can smash all day long'. I think milroy/chan took the wrong route (hindsight is 20/20 :P ) The korean pair it seem are very strong in MD basic; smashing and even better return smash. I saw one rally where milroy was about 3 ft from the net and kill smashing the shuttle, i think 3 times in the middle, and the korean teens return them all. Milroy should have fake smash(drop) on the 2nd or 3rd return because the korean pairs are way back on the court setting up for returning smash. Milroy and chan are very intelligent players, both are very good in MS. Deception comes easy to them but that day they chose more of a power approach. Not to discredit milroy and chan, the korean pair was pretty strong, refused to be intimidated.
    Last edited by cooler; 11-09-2003 at 11:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahahaha, dang if I knew I was going to be on camera I would have brought a big BF.com banner and waved some shout outs to all my BF brothers and sisters .

Originally posted by cooler
    just finish watching the canadian open. The caliber is not bad considering most the players are still juniors (korea side). I only able to pick out timeless & gf from the audience. The korea crowd seem quite happy and loud.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

26ish?! Hmmm... he looked like a kid (teen) to me. Man I must look 40 to you then hahaha... Although he definitely looks older on camera... but you were there live heehhehe I think it's his long facial features and all-business demeanor that makes him look more mature.

Originally posted by wood_22_chuck
    Yeah, I'm always blurred out

Was the Korean Men's Single player really 18 yrs old as the commentator stated? He looked more like 26-ish! Apparently he is ranked 8th in Korea in Juniors standing.

-dave
    Last edited by timeless; 11-14-2003 at 04:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, you look 28 - 32 to me

-dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by cooler
    MD comment.

the games were all very close. Milroy and chan are definitely 'more' experienced and older than the korean junior pair. From an interview before the game, milroy gave some interpretation of korean strategy vs their. Near the end of the interview, milroy said 'if we have to, we can smash all day long'. I think milroy/chan took the wrong route (hindsight is 20/20 :P ) The korean pair it seem are very strong in MD basic; smashing and even better return smash. I saw one rally where milroy was about 3 ft from the net and kill smashing the shuttle, i think 3 times in the middle, and the korean teens return them all. Milroy should have fake smash(drop) on the 2nd or 3rd return because the korean pairs are way back on the court setting up for returning smash. Milroy and chan are very intelligent players, both are very good in MS. Deception comes easy to them but that day they chose more of a power approach. Not to discredit milroy and chan, the korean pair was pretty strong, refused to be intimidated.
    i talked with Will today and asked him about the korean match final. He told me that their (keith and his) game plan was going pretty good (smashing, applying pressure) in the first game and some of the second, however he realized that they lost in the end due to some decisions to keep smashing at the wrong times (and that would be like the example cooler provided).

On the side note, being the first time i've actually talked to Will, quite an experience playing a fun game against him and getting some tid bits of coaching from him to improve my doubles game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yonexfanatic, thanks for disclosing your conversation with Will. Yes, they won their first game because their tactic was working against the younger koreans, mixing lots of tight nets, cross nets, cross drives, and smashing when opportunities arise. Will and Keith won many points just from korean making unforce errors. If i remember correctly they took the first game. Yes, in the the second and third games Will and Keith slowly digressed into a power game.

Two years ago, in the Cdn Junior Open, Will and Keith easily took down the china junior pair (16 and 18 years old i think) in the final using tactic of maneuvering their opponents around. Of course, in comparison, the 2003 korean pair is definitely stronger than the chinese pair back then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2