User Tag List

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

3 yrs ago?!
    Shouldn't you cut the string at such high tension if you're going to store it and not play with it for that long? Isn't it going to eat into your grommets?

Not only that, but you don't know when and if the string breaks in storage, you wouldn't see it and could possibly end up with a deformed racket.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone explain how I use and set up ClearTune (iphone) and how to strum the strings to get some measurements?

I have next to no knowledge of musical instruments so please explain in simple terms!

I had a quick go at this but the frequency seems to fluctuate quite a lot (550hz to 1300hz)...

Many thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

With the back of your 3rd finger nail, lightly strum across the stringbed to generate a solid ring, while holding the racket head close the mike.

With practice it'll become easier to judge how much pressure is required.

The frequency should be in the range of 950-1400 Hz for tensions of 20-30 lbs. Each lb variation is around 30-40 Hz.
    Last edited by visor; 04-07-2014 at 11:51 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    With the back of your 3rd finger nail, lightly strum across the stringbed to generate a solid ring, while holding the racket head close the mike.

With practice it'll become easier to judge how much pressure is required.

The frequency should be in the range of 950-1400 Hz for tensions of 20-30 lbs. Each lb variation is around 30-40 Hz.
    Do you "pick" a string with your fingernail or do you brush across the stringbed with your fingernail?

I just can't seem to get any consistent values... is it something to do with the settings?

I'm in Equal Temperament mode (whatever that means) and the other settings are as default... A4 Calibration is at 440, Transposition = C. Needle damping = ii and pitch pipe waveform = sine.

I have no idea what any of this means and most of my frequencies are around 400-500hz, even though they feel like around 28lb.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Settings are fine.

Strum or brush, don't pick.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I'm struggling to get over 585hz on a racquet originally strung at 31/30 but is now probably around 27-28lb.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Try hitting it with the blunt end of a pen.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try hitting it with the blunt end of a pen.
    I've tried and tried for ages last night with a pen and fingernail and even on two different devices, still couldn't get over 600hz on any of my racquets. In fact, it seems to fluctuate between around 250-580hz.

I've even downloaded several other apps, all showing low figures - although Cleartune seems to be the most consistent.

I also noticed a difference in the frequency if I strum near the top of the frame or in the centre.

No idea why this is... does my app need calibrating?

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So strange.

Make sure you're pinging close to the mike? Maybe reboot your iPhone? Or if that fails, switch to Android?

And if you're consistently picking up the same frequency in that range, then that's most likely a harmonic frequency, so just double that for your actual frequency. So 580 Hz becomes 1160 Hz, which is more consistent with 26-28 lbs, depending on your string diameter.
    Last edited by visor; 04-08-2014 at 11:48 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So strange.

Make sure you're pinging close to the mike? Maybe reboot your iPhone? Or if that fails, switch to Android?

And if you're consistently picking up the same frequency in that range, then that's most likely a harmonic frequency, so just double that for your actual frequency. So 580 Hz becomes 1160 Hz, which is more consistent with 26-28 lbs, depending on your string diameter.
    I've no idea to be honest as my knowledge of harmonics isn't that good. If you're saying that its possible my phone is picking up the harmonic frequency and that doubling it gives the actual frequency, then I'll just take your word.

Most of my strings are NBG99. Some are VS850, BG80P and NGB95.... so it's around 0.69mm mark.

Oh and yes, I always ping close to the mic.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Dang it... ClearTune must have changed something with the latest update. I also get halved frequency with ClearTune on my old iPhone.

I use the free CarlTune on Android and it's excellent. I see that it's also available for iOS for free, so use that and let us know how you do with it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dang it... ClearTune must have changed something with the latest update. I also get halved frequency with ClearTune on my old iPhone.

I use the free CarlTune on Android and it's excellent. I see that it's also available for iOS for free, so use that and let us know how you do with it.
    Glad you're getting the same result with cleartune. I was beginning to think I was going mad.

I'll give Carltune a go tonight and will report back. Shame I just paid for ClearTune with no use for it now!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are the readings I'm getting with CarlTune. But I'm getting 1736 and 1102 much more often than the others. It's better, but still not consistent enough to be useable.

The strings feel like they are around 27lb now, down from 30lb.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hmmm...that's no good. One last free app to try.

N-Track Tuner.

I tried it on my old iPhone before and just now and it worked well, although it doesn't hold the frequency reading for long but it's consistently accurate. Maybe use it occasionally in conjunction with your already paid-for ClearTune just to confirm the readings in the latter are indeed half harmonic. I think your ClearTune reading can be dependably doubled to get the true frequency. 1160 sounds right for a 0.69mm string at 27 lb.
    Last edited by visor; 04-10-2014 at 07:38 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 yrs ago?!
    Shouldn't you cut the string at such high tension if you're going to store it and not play with it for that long? Isn't it going to eat into your grommets?

Not only that, but you don't know when and if the string breaks in storage, you wouldn't see it and could possibly end up with a deformed racket.
    yes cutting the string would be a good idea if you are consciously going to store it for that long (grommets need replacing indeed, good thing I have original spares already). Iirc my friend was around with his stringing machine so I thought I'd get a few strung up for free. But it was before summer break so in the summer I put them in a closet in a cooler room after one had indeed snapped string and deformed. This one I got the reading off was waaaay in the back on the bottom ...

On a sidenote: I have as much issues as R20190 in getting normal looking readings from my other rackets but in the bathroom at least the app settles down on a measurement instead of picking up every sound in the neighbourhood. The TC700 now read 1192Hz; can't get anything on my laptop with built in mic so cutting the string now.
    Last edited by demolidor; 04-12-2014 at 07:11 AM.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@DarthHowie

Tks for the loads of data points!
    I`ve taken the liberty of reposting them on this frequency thread.

Just from a quick look at your data, they do seem 1 lb more than what I`ve seen or measured...

Is your cross tension 1 or 2 more lbs than main?

How much of a drop do you notice from immediately after stringing to a day or two later?

Re when to measure, I suppose if immediately is good for the stringer to monitor his job. But for us consumers who get a stringer to do the job, we don`t measure it until maybe a day or two later, so that`s why I use the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthHowie View Post
    Here's a small snippet of the data i collected so far grouped by string and main tension. I have the min, max and average frequency of each along with the number of rackets strung.

I have noticed that there is variation in the frequency when the racket is the only variable (string and tension is the same). Enjoy

Attachment 159796
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthHowie View Post
    And here is part 2. Hope this feeds the OCD's appetite =) Knowledge is power. Data is King!

Attachment 159797

Last edited by visor; 06-28-2014 at 07:00 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@visor

Q: Is your cross tension 1 or 2 more lbs than main?
    A: It's usually 10% more in the crosses (so at least 2lbs). I string top down 2 piece and usually do the first 4 crosses at 1 pound above the mains before increasing tension on the remaining crosses. I find this works in order to keep the frame shape intact. I'm sure its different for other machines and stringers.

Q: How much of a drop do you notice from immediately after stringing to a day or two later?
    I've maybe measured once or twice a racket after a day but don't recall an exact number. I think i measured at least a 100 Hz drop. I'll have to get back to you on that one.

By the way I use the CarlTune android app you recommended to measure the frequency.

Recording this data also helps me try to keep my string jobs as consistent as possible. An interesting thing i noticed about my data was that i measured up to march/april frequencies with my Gamma fixed clamps. When i switched to the Toyozuki clamps in mid april, I noticed a 10-15Hz drop in my frequencies, but my string jobs sped up by 5-10 minutes. My only guess is that the string isn't under constant pull as long as when i used my old clamps when it took me about 45 min to string a racket (I'm no speed stringer). I now string in about 30-40 min.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast