User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default String recommendation ?

Hi,

I'm playing Nanory 300 and Nanoray 700 RP, both with BG 65 at 22 lbs. I prefer the N 300, which feels "faster" for me, i. e. I can move it quicker from one position to the next needed. With the N 700 RP though I do better clears from end to end, it feels a bit head heavier to me than the N 300.

I consider myself to be an avergage hobby player - far from a pro - playing just for fun (no tournaments at all), usually double, rarely single, 2 - 3 times a week in a local badminton club.

Special problem : Flimsy wrists , so I struggle more to have sufficient lenght than control in my shots.

I was thinking about restringing both rackets and wondering, if another string could do me good, and if so, which one and which tension ? Same ? Higher ? Lower ?

I was thinking about a BG 80 at 20 lbs ... what do you suggest ?

Regards,

Joachim.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Joachim,

It's difficult to recommend something, because strings and especially tension depend so much on the player.

I would say that 20 lbs is probably a backwards step for you. You are an experienced club player, so I think your current tension of 22 lbs is okay.

If you want to find out what's best for you, I would recommend changing one thing at a time. So keep the same racket, and the same string, but change the tension. Otherwise it's hard to know which thing was responsible for the result.

I would try BG65 @ 23 lbs and see if it feels better or worse. In particular, you want power shots like clears and smashes to feel easier -- like you need less effort to create power. This is a sign that the string tension is good for you.

If 23 lbs feels like less effort, then next time maybe you could try 24 (and so on).

If 23 lbs feels like more effort, then either go back to 22 or even try 21.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm - so you think the BG 65 is ok ?

I wanted to change the string (not the tension !) because according to Sir DinkALots chart the BG 80 seemes to be the better one ... ?

I intended to take advantage of the BG 80th better repuls abilities instead ... ?!

Joachim.
    Last edited by Smashit!; 05-05-2015 at 08:16 AM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I don't much like BG65; I find it doesn't keep tension well, and I feel I hit harder with thinner strings. I would rather play with BG80. But if you want to know my favourite string, it's Ashaway Zymax 62 Fire.

The reason I suggested BG65 is that I like to change one thing at a time. Changing both the string and the tension makes it harder to draw conclusions.

If you want to be methodical, you could try BG80 @ 22 lbs -- which means you only changed the string, not the tension as well.

Or of course you could change both, and try BG80 @23 lbs. There's a pretty good chance it would work well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    Personally I don't much like BG65; I find it doesn't keep tension well, (...)
    That's why I tend to change to BG 80 !

(...) and I feel I hit harder with thinner strings. I would rather play with BG80. But if you want to know my favourite string, it's Ashaway Zymax 62 Fire.
    Waht about its durability compared to the BG 80 ? Isn't the Zymax 62 Fire to fragile ?

The reason I suggested BG65 is that I like to change one thing at a time. Changing both the string and the tension makes it harder to draw conclusions.
    I totally agree !

If you want to be methodical, you could try BG80 @ 22 lbs -- which means you only changed the string, not the tension as well.
    That's what I intend to do !

Thanks, you helped me a lot !

Regards,

Joachim.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck, I think you will like it better than BG65.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try bg 65 ti a bit harder than 65 feels nice it is my go string atm

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you should try the new ashaway Zymax 66 fire @ 23lbs and than you will feel the difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you put the differences between BG 80 and Zymax 66 fire into words ?

Regards,

Joachim.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, ZM66F feels softer than BG80, and I feel I can hit harder with it. I think the durability of BG80 is a bit better, but some people think it's the other way around and they could well be right.

I haven't played much with BG80 recently, though, so it's hard to make an accurate comparison.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Gollum said above, the type of string is a largely a personal choice. It depends largely on the feel that you like. Tension is also a personal choice but is also connected to your ability and physique.

I don't think I've ever come across any club players playing at 20lb tension these days. This is usually the tension a low-end factory strung racquet would have. I would also say that sticking with your usual 22lb is probably about right but again only you can say if it is right.

BG80 is probably the hardest string available, it has plenty of control being a rough string but the shuttle does not stay on the stringbed for long - it bounces off very quickly. I've not tried 66F so can't give you any comparison there. But I would suggest you consider trying BG65Ti if your current string is BG65. It is a slightly harder string, but has a nice feel and sound. Its a durable string and perhaps a slight improvement on BG65.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I've tried 69F which is actually quite a nice string. It reminds me of NBG99 in terms of feel but perhaps a touch harder. Not as hard as BG80 though.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I've ever come across any club players playing at 20lb tension these days.
    Well, plenty of club players keep their strings until they break, and with factory strings that can be never. So in reality, I think quite a few players are using tensions below 20 lbs, not to mention very old strings that have lost much of their original elasticity.

I actually know one rather good player who gets his rackets restrung at 19 lbs (!) for the durability.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, plenty of club players keep their strings until they break, and with factory strings that can be never. So in reality, I think quite a few players are using tensions below 20 lbs, not to mention very old strings that have lost much of their original elasticity.

I actually know one rather good player who gets his rackets restrung at 19 lbs (!) for the durability.
    That's seriously low for a good player! But I guess, it's what works for you.

Yeah, not saying there aren't any, but I've not come across anyone wanting anything less than 22lb really. Can't really tell what tension is on those factory strings without something like a sound frequency check, but don't think anyone would be interested in knowing anyway.

I'm just speaking from my experience as a stringer for several clubs in my area over the past decade. The average being about 24lb.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No chance to get the Fire strings in Germany at a stringer or shop exclude me. I think that Haudrauf should move to NBG99 first before trying BG80. Bg80 with plastics is not funny and especially the hard feeling is not everyone's dream. NBG99 holds tension well enough before it breaks with plastics.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

OP, you playing feathers or plastic mostly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ucantseeme View Post
    No chance to get the Fire strings in Germany at a stringer or shop exclude me. I think that Haudrauf should move to NBG99 first before trying BG80. Bg80 with plastics is not funny and especially the hard feeling is not everyone's dream. NBG99 holds tension well enough before it breaks with plastics.
    Jep, no chance in Germany. Got my zm62 Fire from an online shop in England. Hope that changes soon, great string

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast