Asics Gel-Tactic or Asics Gel Floater?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by stantan, Nov 5, 2003.

1. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    Guys, I was shopping around for new shoes and was directed to Asics by the other posts in the site (Mizunos cost around $20 more at least).

I was looking at the Gel-Tactic (the most expensive) and the Gel Floater, which are apparently the popular models. Does anyone have any experience with these models and can tell me which is best in terms of preserving your knees?

There is also the Gel-Hunter and Gel-Rocket by the way.

The Asics websites are USELESS btw.

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

any comments on the asics gel bounce? It's the only asics vollyball shoe i can find.

3. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    If you want to preserve your knees then get the Gel Tactic. It has Asics Gel system in the rear of the shoe, which is where you'll need it most in badminton (eg. during hard lunges). The Gel Floater has the Asics Gel system in the forefoot. You'll only need Gel in the forefoot if you're an avid jump smasher since the first part of your feet to hit the ground upon landing will be your forefoot. However, since you want to preserve your knees, you shouldn't really be jump smashing anyway. I know this because I'm in the same boat as yourself, and have knee injuries that force me to play as conservatively as I can.

Besides the differences of the Gel system placement in those two shoes, there are other noteworthy points to mention. The Gel Tactic is designed off this years Asics top of the line shoe so it also shares similar characteristics, and water-downed features, such as the Asics arch support "trustic system" which basically help support the arch of your feet. This is important if you value leg/knee stability. It also has Asics Wet-Grip tread material, which in my experience has yet to slip on me. By the pictures on the net it looks like the Tactic might also have Asics Rhino-Skin which protects the stress points around the front of the shoe from ripping prematurely. It's a synthetic material that is ultra tough. The Gel Floater is based off last years designs. By the looks of the photos it looks like it has Rhino-Skin, as well as last years arch support designs (not this years Trustic system) but I could be wrong.

If you want my honest opinion, I'd go for the Gel Tactic just because it sounds as if you may have potential knee problems as I do. If you're relatively healthy then either shoe will do you just fine. However, try them both on at the store, and walk/shuffle around a bit. The one that fits and feels the best is usually the one that will work out the best for you on the court. Remember that before considering what features the shoes have.

I couldn't find any information on the Gel-Hunter, and I'm unfamiliar with that model so I can't comment on it. Regarding the Gel-Rocket however, if you're just a casual player then it will be fine but it also only has Asics Gel in the forefoot. The Gel Rocket is Asics low-end shoe this year and besides the Gel system, it doesn't have any other special features.

I agree that the Asics websites are pretty poor in terms of product information. You'll sometimes find more detailed information on volleyball websites that do shoe reviews. I had to go to a very expensive speciality sports shoe store and coerce them to show me the actual Asics and Mizuno catalogs to get all the information I wanted. Now I know more about Asics and Mizuno shoe technology than most sales staff :p.

4. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    BRL! Surely in a great metropolis such as T.O. you can find more than just the Asics Gel Bounce! The Gel Bounce is designed off the same line as the Gel Floater. They share the same outsole and arch support system. I believe the Gel system is in the rear in that model. You'll probably find it cheapest in a large sport store chains. My wife owns a pair :D. She thinks they're great but mind you she's more of a casual player and is very easy on her shoes. However, last year I owned a pair of Gel Modesto's, which has similar features as the Gel Bounce. They were working just fine until I got injured, and required the stiffer support and cushioning of the higher end models.

If you want to find the better Asics volleyball shoes you'll probably have to go to specialty court sport stores or volleyball clubs etc. Indoor racquet court sports sure play a backseat to the big popular sports here in North America, and make it difficult for us to find good equipment and attire :(.

#4 timeless, Nov 6, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2003
  5. bigredlemon

thanks for the comments. You're right in that i've only been looking at major chains because there's so many near me, and so few specialty stores are. Most of the chains seems to be pushing style rather than performance.

As for asics gel bounce, do you know if there's gel in the front of the shoe? I don't have any knee problems fortunately but I would like a pair of shoes whose shock-absorption in the front foot area don't lifelessly flatten after a couple months.

6. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    thanks, timeless. im getting fed up with my new balance shoes atm so i guess its time to change shoes.

one new pair of shoes a year isnt bad for a badminton player who plays 2-3 times a week, right? right? ;)

7. wiers289

wiers289 Regular Member

mechanic
    Hi.

My wife uses a pair of Asics Gel tactic And I use Yonex SHB 95.
    Lets say"I'm jaleous of her shoes".
    My Yonex wear off like mad and her's don't.
    The snug fitting my Yonex had when they were new (5 month's ago) degrades every week and her's don't.
    The cushioning in the Asics is much better.
    The Yonex soles are loosening at the edges.
    Need I say more?

Joop

8. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    I just took a look at my wife's 2002-2003 Gel Bounce and I'm pretty sure it only has Gel in the rear. If you want Gel in the front you'll probably have to find a speciality store that offers more models or that can order in something for you out of the catalog.

One thing to note is that Gel cushioning is designed to out-last the shoe itself. It's shock dispersion quality doesn't really degrade over time/use. However, all shoes, including Asics Gel, will feel like the softer cushy feeling is gone after awhile. But that is most likely due to the EVA midsole being packed down and your insoles being worn out. Replacing crummy insoles with quality sports insoles can do wonders for restoring that "new cushy shoe feeling". So if you own shoes with true shock dispersion technology in it but it feels hard under your feet, it's due to the EVA and insoles loosing their soft new cushy feeling, but the shock technology is still doing it's work. However, if your shoes depend on EVA-based "technology" to absorb shock (which isn't shock dispersion at all but just pure cushioning), then once the EVA looses it's magical softness, it's pretty much dead. This can happen long before the actual outside of the shoe looks worn out.

9. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    My Asics Gel Modesto (equivalent in quality to about the Asics Gel Rocket/Bounce) lasted me about 8 months, playing fairly hard 3-5 times a week, before I retired it. However the inside and outside still looks fairly new, but the midsole no longer has that springy/cushy feeling. So I think one pair per year is fine :).

10. bigredlemon

You should be an asics rep or something :)
    I've searched all over the net and never can i even get a description of the gel bounce and yet you seem to know tons!

11. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Hahaha I'm just trying to be a 'smart' consumer that wants to know exactly what I was getting for my money, just like yourself :).

It's hard to find information on shoes that are from previous year lines because companies always bring out something 'new and improved'. Sometimes more than once a year.

If you have trouble finding other models from Asics, then I suggest you give Mizuno a try. One thing about Mizuno is that even though they are sometimes priced a little higher than their Asics counter-parts, they sometimes include more of the higher end features even in their low-end to mid-level models. Everyone I know who have tried Mizunos feel they are the most comfortable. However, because Mizuno is not as popular in N. America, that isn't a lot of people.

12. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Man, I've called Rackets&Runners and The Run Inn, but it looks like if you want a Asics Gel Typhoon or 5000V, it'll have to be ordered.

Greater Vancouver is pretty dry for these shoes.

Oh, and thanks again, timeless, for the review on these shoes.

-dave

13. bigredlemon

Mizuno in my area cost about the same as asics actually. The chain near me also carries the Mizuno Blocker. Do you think it's better than the asics bounce in terms of front foot shock dispersion and grip?

Btw, about 1/3 of players i see wear asics, 1/3 basketball shoes (ie nike), and the rest is all over the place, including "fashion" skateboard shoes, the kind you see at Aldo or stoneridge. Mizuno is defiently underrepersented.

14. bigredlemon

15. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    The Mizuno Blocker is a really good shoe. It's actually one of their top models and easily blows the Asics Bounce away in terms of features and overall quality. The Bounce is about a mid-entry shoe.

I don't know why Mizuno is so unpopular here, in Japan it is considered the best along with Asics for sports shoes. Asics and Mizuno even make casual shoes for the Japanese market.

I checked out that website, and wow those are awesome prices! Are those prices in CAD or USD? If those prices are in CAD, then those are amazing deals for great shoes, even if they are from last year. If you're looking for maximum forefoot (and rear) shock dispersion though, I'd go for the 2002 Mizuno Stratosphere. Their top of the line shoe at only $79 (if CAD) is just soooo cheap! They wanted almost $200CAD at my local speciality shop to order those in for me when they first came out.

Looks like you found "your" badminton shoe shop :D!

16. bigredlemon

yes the prices are in CDN. Shipping is only $5 too! That's about the same round trip bus fare for me. :)

17. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    :)

#17 timeless, Nov 8, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2003
  18. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    BRL:

Woops, in my previous post I stated that the Mizuno Blocker was one of their top of the line models. It's actually not, at first glance, I mistook it for the Mizuno Epic (which is their top model along with the Stratosphere). The Blocker is around the same mid-level shoe as the Bounce but better in terms of features. The Mizuno Blocker also has Mizuno's VS-1 cushioning in the forefoot, which is something that should interest you. VS-1 is sorta like EVA but has greater shock absorption properties. The Stratosphere also has VS-1 in the forefoot but most likely even more of it. Sorry for the mistake. Whichever shoes you end up getting, it looks like you'll get a great deal :).

19. boji_lazaro

boji_lazaro Regular Member

i am from the philippines and the asics models available here are kinda outdated. i am particularly interested on the asics gel pro clear. i assume its a badminton specific sport shoe considering the name. does anyone know of an online store where i can purchase this shoe model?:confused: i've tried searching using google and i can only find this model on german websites. thanks in advance guys!:D

20. clinton

clinton Regular Member

sw engineer
    Yes, the price looks great. In US, the lowest prices I found for 2003 models are:
    Mizuno Wave Spike 6: USD $65
    Mizuno Wave Epic : USD $85
    Asics Gel-VTR : USD $65
    Aiscs Typhoon: USD $85

Timeless, thanks to all the research you did, I ordered Mizuno and Asics
    shoes last week.