importance of wearing the right shoes

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by bigredlemon, Nov 5, 2003.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I've changed between cheaper and more expensive racquets frequently (all grphite though, no steelies or composites) and although the feel and playability of the racquets vary greatly, the effect upon the quality of the game isn't that great. There is a big difference between shoes however. In my old shoes, the insole is destroyed and grip is missing as well. Even if they didn't hurt to wear, I would never get enough grip to be able to cover the cross court shots from the back. I'd just be sliding left and right and not ever getting into position. I see lots of players who aren't even wearing court shoes sliding back and forth and wondering why they can't play well. They'll be talking about how things would be different if they had a mp100--no things would be exactly the same. The problem is the shoes! There's so much talk about racquets on this forum, but shoes hardly ever get mentioned. So how about starting some shoe threads?

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i think kwun and other have stressed many times that shoes is very important. Before u hit the shuttle, all motion, force, control start at your contact wif the floor.

3. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    BRL, I agree with you whole heartedly. Lately I've been pleased to notice more threads regarding shoes in the equipment forum though. They were generally asking for advice on what shoes worked for badminton, prices, etc. but it's a start.

In Korea they have a badminton motto, "In Korea we hit the shuttle with our feet".

I saw this motto in motion at this year's Canadian Open where a team of Korean junior players (ages 14 - 16) decimated international players from Canada, USA, Brazil, etc. It wasn't because the Korean kids were so strong and powerful. Their smashes were actually marginally weaker than the adults (albeit still very good). However, they were so extremely fast at reading the game, and getting to the shuttle early, and thus continuously pressuring their opponents, that they literally blew past their opponents. It was almost frightenining how quick they could move and how slow they made their opponents look, especially considering their young age. It made me think of how incrediblely fast the real Korean international players must be. Quite an eye opener for spectators over here that don't get very many opportunities to see live badminton at such a high caliber.

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Leg trainning and footwork is one of the Koreans secret of success.

5. assault38

assault38 Regular Member

Lawyer
    Judging from the low response rate from this thread, it seems many players on this site are not very receptive to this important form of equipment, which is too bad. I also am a firm believer of good footwork and proper footwear, especially after my sprain (see my recent post "shoe help").

I think that most people can get used to any racquet in due time, and fussing over "titanium this" and "muscle power that" is really missing the point. I think what most people are missing good training, and footwork with the proper footwear is a big part of that training.

In any case, a lack of training on one player's part is an advantage for the rest of us that pay attention.

6. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    I have 6 rackets and 2 pairs of badminton shoes. One pair I wear and the other sits at home waiting for the other pair to get worn out.

I feel a little guilty buying the second pair so early... but don't give second thoughts to the 3rd or 4th frequently used racket sitting in my bag for months...

How many people actually have more than one pair of badminton shoes and use them interchangeably?

I guess that's why there are so little discussion on shoes...

7. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    ME !!!

I have:

Yonex SHB92
    Yonex SHB95
    Nike Multicourt
    Nike Air Genuine
    Hi Tec Viper

I have had others but these are the ones I am sticking with for one reason or another.

And yes I do change between them regularly because they each have good and bad aspects depending on the court surface I am playing on.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Conversely, I use the same model shoes whatever surface is here. Though I'd say, the surfaces do not vary as much in HK as they do in UK.

My model of shoe is Mizuno but not in production anymore (this is the extra pair I bought - for the reason, see my entry and Marshall's entry in badminton fanatic )

In a few months time, I will have to go through experimenting with different models again:( Suffice to say, 90% certain it will be Mizuno. For me, they've been the best by far. (tried Carlton, Yonex, Head, Asics over the years)

9. Dill

Dill Regular Member

I agree with your fanatic post, I have now realised that for rackets and shoes that if you do like them you need to buy several of them because they change marginally and are never quite the same.

However subtle you always notice the change and it starts to make you play mind games with yourself I.E. it's the new racket it feels different.

10. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    I think own about 2-3x more court shoes than I do racquets :D.

11. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

yeah...

shoes without grip will require you to use more energy to move around .......

12. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    Dill, either you are very rich or you have an obsessive compulsive disorder. How could you afford all this stuff? What were those bright red shoes I saw you in last time? Hitec? I doubt Niké would make such an eccentric design.

I lost my old Wilson & Prince shoes, so I had been using Reebok running trainers. When I changed to SHB89, I was surprised to notice such a difference in the response of the shoe when changing direction quickly, the stability when twisting or turning, and the absorption of shock when thudding down. The side of the shoe where I drag my trailing foot is not very durable, but it can easily be patched with a small piece of cloth tape & some light superglue.

#12 ynexfan2003, Nov 8, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2003
  13. Dill

Dill Regular Member

It's obsessive compulsive. As I have said in other threads I have been searching for Carlton 85g replacements since I started back about 3 years ago and have only just found them.

Out of all those rackets I only have the AT700's (still 4 which I'm amazed at) and the AS 1's, all the rest have snapped and I have given some to the kids I coach to let them use it.

The red ones are Hi-Tec but they are not much use in the XXXXXXXX because they grip too much (the floor has sand granules added into the paint to give extra grip) and I have over extended my knee on the racket leg.

That is why I have a choice of trainer, I was just a bit stupid in my choice that night.:(

14. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I don't think that's too obssessive. Different shoes grip very differently depending on the surface. I had one pair that I thought had horrible grip literally stick to the ground when switching from wood to tile. So it's good to have different ones. Ditto for racquets. Most of his racquets are not available anymore... the only recent ones are the armortec. So it's at most about one every few months on average lately, and mabye closer to a couple a year in the long run. About a couple hundred dollars a year average? Most gamers spend much more than that.