User Tag List

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Results 69 to 85 of 754
  1. #69
    Regular Member icey_drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have to say, I really admire Kang Hae Won - Korean womens singles player

    Please look out for her. She is a very tough and mentally strong woman!


    She lost today to 1st seed Lindaweni Fanetri in 3 sets (last set was 20-22), but took the defeat and turned it to experience

    I have to say, she is very unlucky and the draw wasn't the best for her


    There was alot of support for both players. We did all we could to supporter her but in the end, Fanetri got the better and snatched her chances. I think this was a good test for the Korean player as she progresses. I think she will join her seniors Sung Ji Hyun and Bae Youn Joo very soon

  2. #70
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,655
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow AUS players going overseas for training

    Quote Originally Posted by volcom View Post
    The coaching in Aus is also not up to standard hence why players go overseas to like Malaysia etc to get proper training so they become mildly successful.

    The work ethic of AUS players cannot compared to the more professional and focused ethics of other countries like e.g. Japan.
    .
    I am surprised to read what you have commented; that "coaching in Aus is also not up to standard hence why players go overseas to like Malaysia etc to get proper training".

    Our 2 current national coaches (they have been here for many years now) are from overseas; One from Denmark, and the other from China. You can see them with our AUS players at all their tournaments.

    We also have a coach from Malaysia, currently coaching here to help players to be good enough to enter our AUS national team.

    When some of our AUS players go overseas for training, it would probably be the advise from their coaches (to gain different experience), not that their coaches are admitting that their coaching methods/systems are not up to standard.
    .
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 04-03-2013 at 09:32 AM.

  3. #71
    Regular Member icey_drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Nothing to do with standard of coaches

    More like no sponsorship or a solid development system for the players

    Because badminton is not a popular sport in Australia, the government isn't willing to put in enough money to financially support the players

    And because of this, many players have to balance their training with work or full time study to support themselves.
    Unless the government is willing to offer a full-time career for the players by supplying the players with some kind of salary or income, you won't expect a change in our playing standards


    Prof players in China, Malaysia, Korea and Japan have a very strong sports commission and program that guarantees the players success. A good start is to get the Australian Badminton Open on public service television channels like Seven

    Hopefully, very hopefully, they are willing to do that for next year's SS. Australia needs to see the competitive side of the sport. If the Aus Open tennis gets to be broadcasted, why not badminton?

  4. #72
    Regular Member icey_drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    On the contary

    I've watched many matches today

    The player that impressed me the most is Qiao Bin


    His strokes, speed and variation is unlike any other player... he will give LCW a big fight if he wins tomorrow against Japanese talent Kento Momota

  5. #73
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Citizen of The World
    Posts
    14,701
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icey_drone View Post
    On the contary

    I've watched many matches today

    The player that impressed me the most is Qiao Bin


    His strokes, speed and variation is unlike any other player... he will give LCW a big fight if he wins tomorrow against Japanese talent Kento Momota
    Thanks for your observation, good to hear that. Actually Qiao Bin already started to impress in the GER Open where he was stopped by his senior Chen Long in the SF after taking out the likes of Gurusaidutt in R1, Kento Momota in R2, Takuma Ueda in R3, and Wong Wing Ki in the QF.

    But I'm surprised you think he has a fighting chance against LCW. I doubt so though I'd be delighted if he succeeds, provided he beats Kento again tomorrow which I believe he can.

    How about Xue Song? As there isn't any livestreaming, I hope you or your friends can watch him play Taufik tomorrow and tells us about it, no obligation of course.

  6. #74
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    4,990
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icey_drone View Post
    On the contary

    I've watched many matches today

    The player that impressed me the most is Qiao Bin


    His strokes, speed and variation is unlike any other player... he will give LCW a big fight if he wins tomorrow against Japanese talent Kento Momota
    Yes. I have watched some of his matches in German Open. Excellent display. His fast retrieving and attacking play is unique compared to others. May be some of them who have met him before have a strategy to overcome this. I would be grateful to those who gives some of the videos atleast for the remembrance. Just a request from my side .
    Have to praise the way he proceeds. Really good to see... Lets see how he does tomorrow as kento momota is an another player who is constantly improving ..

  7. #75
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Slum
    Posts
    417
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You know what? Just to show face and that's probably enough to secure him a job as a coach or whatever in the national team.

    Touring Australia for the rest of the week. What a treat!

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    what i would like to know is when Li Gen going to find a proper job? badminton is obviously not for him!

  8. #76
    Regular Member AlanY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,441
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fauci View Post
    You know what? Just to show face and that's probably enough to secure him a job as a coach or whatever in the national team.

    Touring Australia for the rest of the week. What a treat!
    as a coach! god has mercy.

  9. #77
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Slum
    Posts
    417
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Not losing in single digits is perhaps already an achievement.

    Quote Originally Posted by andy_s View Post
    Sadly not a first.
    If no Aussies win against overseas opponents this will make at least 2 years in a row. I would need to check to confirm if its in fact 3 years dating back to when the tournament was only a grand prix status.


    Big changes required to player pathways in Aust. There is some talent but there are very strange decisions made at the top of the sport in regards to nurturing it.

  10. #78
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Slum
    Posts
    417
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I happened to watch a couple of Qiao Bin's matches before. He's physically very strong and also very calm in his game and can sustain long rallies, but I think he needs to develop some killer weapons.

    Quote Originally Posted by icey_drone View Post
    On the contary

    I've watched many matches today

    The player that impressed me the most is Qiao Bin


    His strokes, speed and variation is unlike any other player... he will give LCW a big fight if he wins tomorrow against Japanese talent Kento Momota

  11. #79
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,655
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
    Anybody know what happened to the match btw kano ito vs HMpai. Not updated>???
    .
    Even as I type now, there is no result shown at tournamentsoftware.

    While playing our BadmintonCentral PAW Game, I am informed that Hsiao Ma Pai [3] defeated Kana Ito.
    .

  12. #80
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,655
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icey_drone View Post
    Nothing to do with standard of coaches

    More like no sponsorship or a solid development system for the players

    Because badminton is not a popular sport in Australia, the government isn't willing to put in enough money to financially support the players

    And because of this, many players have to balance their training with work or full time study to support themselves.

    Unless the government is willing to offer a full-time career for the players by supplying the players with some kind of salary or income, you won't expect a change in our playing standards

    Prof players in China, Malaysia, Korea and Japan have a very strong sports commission and program that guarantees the players success. A good start is to get the Australian Badminton Open on public service television channels like Seven

    Hopefully, very hopefully, they are willing to do that for next year's SS. Australia needs to see the competitive side of the sport. If the Aus Open tennis gets to be broadcasted, why not badminton?
    .
    That's exactly what I meant.

    We have excellent AUS athletes asking "Why play badminton when there is little income/money coming from it?. Participating in other sports like Tennis, Cricket, Football, Golf, Swimming, Basketball, etc, etc, ... is more rewarding."

    Our Australian Badminton Open will not be shown on public service television channels like Seven (the only chance is on SBS). Why? Our public/commercial television channels won't show sports that we are not good at.

    Not only Badminton is suffering; Other sports like Table Tennis, Volleyball, Handball, etc, etc, ... are facing the same problem.
    .
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 04-03-2013 at 05:48 PM.

  13. #81
    Regular Member icey_drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    That's exactly what I meant.

    We have excellent AUS athletes asking "Why play badminton when there is little income/money coming from it?. Participating in other sports like Tennis, Cricket, Football, Golf, Swimming, Basketball, etc, etc, ... is more rewarding."

    Our Australian Badminton Open will not be shown on public service television channels like Seven (the only chance is on SBS). Why? Our public/commercial television channels won't show sports that we are not good at.

    Not only Badminton is suffering; Other sports like Table Tennis, Volleyball, Handball, etc, etc, ... are facing the same problem.
    .
    But you know, if you look at Tennis, we can't exactly say Australia is good at it either

    Lleyton Hewitt is a cool guy, but he's on a different level to Djokovic, Nadal or Federer


    And even if an Australian player gets into the QF or SF of a SS event. I still don't see it getting the broadcast happening. So I don't think its a matter of performance of the players, more like the image of the sport

    If we can promote a good and strong image, that badminton is good, by getting some really entertaining matches on TV even once, then it will eliminate all those annoying stereotypes of the sport in Australia

    We need everyone to spread the good word of the sport in our country. Australian Badminton Open is happening, but its not getting any exposure outside of the badminton world

  14. #82
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    .
    I am surprised to read what you have commented; that "coaching in Aus is also not up to standard hence why players go overseas to like Malaysia etc to get proper training".

    Our 2 current national coaches (they have been here for many years now) are from overseas; One from Denmark, and the other from China. You can see them with our AUS players at all their tournaments.

    We also have a coach from Malaysia, currently coaching here to help players to be good enough to enter our AUS national team.

    When some of our AUS players go overseas for training, it would probably be the advise from their coaches (to gain different experience), not that their coaches are admitting that their coaching methods/systems are not up to standard.
    .
    Coaching in Australia is of actually quite a good standard, despite what some from 'elitist' part of the Badminton world may think. The current set up involves almost a "Manager" sort of role and then a "Head Coaching" role. The issue I have with them is not the personnel but the set up of the National system.

    There are also high level coaches from Malaysia, China & Indonesia that currently reside in Australia. The sad thing is that there is little funding available to get these elite coaches coaching aussie kids. The second problem is that these coaches dont coach in a "Western Format", they coach in a different style that is recognized and acceptable in Western Culture. By this I mean that they are forceful dictators of programs and players, and this is not what is accept by many in Australia. Whilst Australian people understand the idea of hard work, the programs put in place by some foreign coaches is excessive and doesn't provide the balance that should be involved in a western program. Also they dont provide the support and comfort that should be required when dealing with junior players.

    Now the reason Australian players go overseas to train is NOT because of the coaching but because of the level of competition in Australia. To be the best you have to play the best! And in Australia the best players are lucky to be Top50 players in the world and they don't have anyone higher than that to spar with and push them to the next level. So when a player gets to a certain level, they need to head overseas to spar with players in the next bracket of player. Players in Australia also play a different style and struggle when they come up again more 'wristy' & 'flat' Asian players because they are not used to it. So once again overseas training allows these players to experience different styles than what they can at home.

    My thoughts are that the National Squad should be based in Malaysia and not Melbourne, as it would give them the best access to elite players & coaches and you are also closer to the bigger tournaments. If you look at the set up of Tennis in Australia, once you reach a certain age you are sent off to Spain to train and play on the European circuit. This is what BA needs to look at if they want their players to reach the next level, although as with everything this all comes down to $$$$

  15. #83
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icey_drone View Post
    But you know, if you look at Tennis, we can't exactly say Australia is good at it either

    Lleyton Hewitt is a cool guy, but he's on a different level to Djokovic, Nadal or Federer


    And even if an Australian player gets into the QF or SF of a SS event. I still don't see it getting the broadcast happening. So I don't think its a matter of performance of the players, more like the image of the sport

    If we can promote a good and strong image, that badminton is good, by getting some really entertaining matches on TV even once, then it will eliminate all those annoying stereotypes of the sport in Australia

    We need everyone to spread the good word of the sport in our country. Australian Badminton Open is happening, but its not getting any exposure outside of the badminton world
    Tennis is not even in the same stratosphere when it comes to Badminton! Just look at Flinders Park and the millions and millions spent on building that monstrosity! Their national funding is in the 10's of millions, their national association turns over hundreds of millions, the funding for infrastructure is in the hundreds of millions! The number of players is 10 times of that of Badminton in Australia! The TV numbers that Tennis put up is that just under the AFL/NRL grand finals! Tennis has a long and proud history in this country!

    And to say our players are not on the same level as the current top guys is true! but we have a long and proud history and have produced the greatest player of all time in Rod Laver! Lleyton is the 3rd or 4th longest serving world #1, so dont have a crack at him as it shows the little knowldge of the game that you possess. We have a current top 10 womens player and multiple top level doubles players! But some people with little knowledge seem to fail to see past the Mens Singles and look towards other facets of the sport.... So its a little rich to say we are not good at it!

  16. #84
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jkt-Indo
    Posts
    8,612
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icey_drone View Post
    I have to say, I really admire Kang Hae Won - Korean womens singles player
    Please look out for her. She is a very tough and mentally strong woman!
    There was alot of support for both players. We did all we could to supporter her but in the end, Fanetri got the better and snatched her chances. I think this was a good test for the Korean player as she progresses. I think she will join her seniors Sung Ji Hyun and Bae Youn Joo very soon
    Then good sign for KOR, after Bang Soo-hyun era it seems they're struggling to produce high calibre WS, Sung Ji-hyun has improved a lot lately.

  17. #85
    Regular Member etudiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Christian Grey's playroom
    Posts
    12,171
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Cmon Greysia/Anggia
    Last edited by etudiant; 04-03-2013 at 10:50 PM.

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •